[TV] Adobe Photoshop and Creative Suite to become subscription-only products - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 189 Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightEscape View Post

I would appreciate a subscription like that very much. I use Photoshop a few times a week but other programs like After Effects are on an as needed basis. While they aren't a weekly thing, they are necessary, and not having to pay for them monthly but have uses saved up would be quite nice.

Tbh I went from CS2 to CS5 and now I'm at CS6. I don't -need- the latest version, it's just an added benefit. With how often they have been releasing a new CS it doesn't seem very worth it to spend $2500 every 2 years. If it was 5 years between version updates and not just patches then sure whatever, but it's been mostly 2-3 years between versions tops and that gets costly quick if the newest versions are required.

I just think that they'd get a lot more business my way...maybe get some of the Gimp users to actually buy a license every now and then. The general public would love to use this software, but the high cost of buying it has prevented that...and I don't think the subscription is work like this either, but is probably better for the average person. If my wife wants some pictures touched up she will have to do in a month...because once it was done I'd get rid of the sub.

MINNESOTA OVERCLOCKERS | The Climate Phenomenon
If it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER!!!devil.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 189 Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM
(V);,,;(V) Why not Zoidberg?

Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

Quote:

I would appreciate a subscription like that very much. I use Photoshop a few times a week but other programs like After Effects are on an as needed basis. While they aren't a weekly thing, they are necessary, and not having to pay for them monthly but have uses saved up would be quite nice.

Tbh I went from CS2 to CS5 and now I'm at CS6. I don't -need- the latest version, it's just an added benefit. With how often they have been releasing a new CS it doesn't seem very worth it to spend $2500 every 2 years. If it was 5 years between version updates and not just patches then sure whatever, but it's been mostly 2-3 years between versions tops and that gets costly quick if the newest versions are required.

I just think that they'd get a lot more business my way...maybe get some of the Gimp users to actually buy a license every now and then. The general public would love to use this software, but the high cost of buying it has prevented that...and I don't think the subscription is work like this either, but is probably better for the average person. If my wife wants some pictures touched up she will have to do in a month...because once it was done I'd get rid of the sub.
you can always use lightroom which is just as effective as photoshop for photo touchup and a lot simpler. photoshop is almost getting so advanced that adobe doesnt even 100% know what its capable of until people start using it tongue.gif

Bronica ETRSi, 75/2.8, 135/4
Minolta XD11, 28/2.8, 50/1.4
Canon 5DmkIII, 7D, 17-40/4L, 100/2.8 macro, 135/2L, 70-200/4L IS, 1.4X mkIII
YN-560II, YN-560III

flickr

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #23 of 189 Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

Adobe's pirated numbers are well over 70%...I've actually seen them in the high 80%'s.

...The subscription process isn't as bad as it seems and it will be clarified down the line but, overall -- It isn't that bad.

Again, I'm in the Beta -- Not going to say much more but, the article only scratches the surface.

The cloud tools are actually incredibly useful and this more/less brings all of adobe's suites, together.

Yeah, but you have to ask yourself how many people are just high school kids and hobbyists, let alone people not making money off of Adobe products. The biggest fallacy I see is people assuming that everyone that pirates something is going to buy it.

For all we known those 100% of pirates could be people who wouldn't have bought it anyways and found an alternative. Or it could be 0%. People just pick a random number of people who they think would actually buy it (and protip, every software developer thinks that everyone who pirates their stuff would have bought it anyways).

Piracy to get people to learn your software as a hobby is good, specially when it makes them learn your software as opposed to an alternative. However, people pirating things to make money is not good.

I do not think Adobe is stupid enough to isolate the college and high school kids who pirate to learn the software. The last thing Adobe wants is a bunch of people entering the workforce with barely any adobe product experience and a ton of experience in other programs, because that translates into companies who would have actually purchased it into purchasing something else or using a FOSS alternative.

GIMP's current status probably has a lot to do with the fact that Photoshop is so easy to pirate. Things like Oracle DB, Windows for servers, etc are not easy to pirate and guess what? Their FOSS alternatives are flourishing.

You know you're an AMD guy when even your router has 4 cores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 189 Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 59
I'm not advocating pirating programs but they really do cost a astronomical amount. Most of the people who steal the programs are 15-25 year old males who play pc/xbox 360 games and edit videos from themselves. I personally use sony vegas and its not very hard to do. If you are into video game capturing and stuff many people thing they need adobe after effects and photoshop to do stuff. Go watch some video editing guides, most of the people who give the guides/tutorials on youtube sound like boys that just hit puberty yet can do some amazing stuff.

Adobe actually has or had a pretty good anti piracy stuff, while I only used the whole master collection once I remember someone who found it online saying that even after he installed it and used the program once if he restarted his computer the program would not launch etc.
post #25 of 189 Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 427
Recurring fees......I hate you

Chimp Challenge Participant  50 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015 

post #26 of 189 Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM
733mhz

Liked: 8
I hope this brings more people to the alternative like others have stated such as GIMP. Which I think is already pretty good.

heart.gifMy Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Fanclub!heart.gif
post #27 of 189 Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post

Yeah, but you have to ask yourself how many people are just high school kids and hobbyists, let alone people not making money off of Adobe products. The biggest fallacy I see is people assuming that everyone that pirates something is going to buy it.

For all we known those 100% of pirates could be people who wouldn't have bought it anyways and found an alternative. Or it could be 0%. People just pick a random number of people who they think would actually buy it (and protip, every software developer thinks that everyone who pirates their stuff would have bought it anyways).

Absolutely.

I can't even begin to tell you how many people pirate things just because they can. They're digital hoarders, and if they had to pay $1 for the software they wouldn't get it. What's funny is how many people installed Photoshop just to never use it. I have a friend who has a harddrive full of movies - and at least 3 dozen he's never seen.

BTW.. I used to play with GIMP a few years back and I gotta say the usability left a lot to be desired. I really hope it's improved in the past few years.
post #28 of 189 Old 05-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

most students get ps for free. $50 monthly is a lot of money to poor students

Uhh since when? They can get it discounted, sure, but I've rarely seen it offered free. And usually the discounts are on the older version like they did with CS5 being discounted from $2500 to $400. It's also $20 a month for students, not $50, which if they are getting financial aid or loans should be money that can be set aside for required applications for their projects. If a student can't spare $20 for something they require then they need to take a step back and look at where their money is going and if they need to take a break and get a job before returning to school. I'm a student, not receiving financial aid, working full time, paying $9,000 a semester, and still not being a "poor broke student" that can't spend $20 a month for something similar to a textbook.

Most of my textbooks cost more, and can't be resold, than a year of Photoshop. Saying a poor student can't afford something required is just idiotic.

Most universities offer the program for free to those who are enrolled in classes that use the program.

Guess opened source programs will become the norm now.
Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
post #29 of 189 Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM
(V);,,;(V) Why not Zoidberg?

Liked: 276
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezman View Post

The actual piracy rate for Adobe products are pretty low amongst people who use the software to make a living (graphic designers, web designers, advertisers.etc).

Generally, people pirating Creative Suite use it for personal use.

At $50 a month, that's actually not a bad deal if you make a living off of Photoshop.etc

Not 100% sure how accurate this actually with my recent insight. I've built about 30 or so PC's for designers that were leaving Mac's behind due to being too expensive and they each were around $3,000-$5,000 a pop. The funny thing is, most of them also hired me to provide software installation, which included much more than the CS6 master collection. They aren't just "designers" either, a few of them had been nominated for Emmy's with their work, and I could recognize quite a few of their samples from TV/Film/Ads as well.

Not saying all designers that make their living off these applications pirate them but I know for sure there is a decent amount that still do as it totals to be about $10,000 in just applications on average which without being support by a design company is a large amount to shell out on top of a $5,000 machine.

most of those people expect to be given the software actually lol. most people that work in that field dont own most of their stuff. its all given to them on professional license. a lot of filmmakers are given cameras to go shoot with just like most professional photographers are given cameras and lenses for free by nikon and canon just so that they can brag about their product being used by professionals. i personally know a few photographers that work for sports illustrated that have over $20k in their possession of camera gear that they dont own because it was all given to them to use. not saying they dont pirate the software but most people winning awards dont buy their equipment, its given to them. you likely built rigs for them that would have had adobe master collection installed for free anyway. you just were saving them the hassle biggrin.gif

i have even been given free equipment for projects which i returned upon completion and even was allowed to use cameras before they were available for purchase. like i said people that work in entertainment are given what they need. rarely do people have to pay tongue.gif

Bronica ETRSi, 75/2.8, 135/4
Minolta XD11, 28/2.8, 50/1.4
Canon 5DmkIII, 7D, 17-40/4L, 100/2.8 macro, 135/2L, 70-200/4L IS, 1.4X mkIII
YN-560II, YN-560III

flickr

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #30 of 189 Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Fan Man

Liked: 13
I know that the subscription way is kinda like the pay as you use model but I've never liked that model much. Lets see how it goes. thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page