[Forbes] - Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Automatic Spying Cannot Be Stopped - Page 12 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #111 of 234 Old 11-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Programmer
 
CSCoder4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 3,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

The complaint of privacy is fake. There is nothing magical or special about Windows 10 that gives Microsoft power they previously didn't have, or couldn't have.

Just stop.

At least on older windows versions you could disable updates completely. Windows 10 can essentially patch out anything that keeps them from getting what they want ( e.g. my data.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

CSCoder4ever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 234 Old 11-03-2015, 10:05 AM
 
BarneyRubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

The absolute hilarity of this statement, and all the others on here screaming about Windows 10 "stealing" data......

Microsoft doesn't need Windows 10 to steal your data. They can do that with ANY of their software, at any point it is used. So even if you ran 100% open source on EVERYTHING you own, your bank doesn't. Your school doesn't. Your social media doesn't.

Microsoft doesn't need to steal your data from you, they could steal it from anyone you work with that uses their software. Not to mention they could easily retroactively push updates, unless you believe they already have them, back to any of their Internet connected software. Be it Windows 3.1, or Windows 10.

The complaint of privacy is fake. There is nothing magical or special about Windows 10 that gives Microsoft power they previously didn't have, or couldn't have.

Just stop.

If someone wants to steal all your data, it isn't Microsoft. Ignore the fact it would be illegal, the action itself. You can go secondary on it and look at the fact they are a publicly traded company. They, by law, have to protect their Shareholders. Any action they take, knowingly, that would cause the Shareholder loss, is more or less illegal. So even if Microsoft could steal your data "legally", the backlash over doing so would cause damage to their Shareholders. Thus they would be violating that law.

People, pull your heads out of your ass' (or just install a window), and breath for a moment. Microsoft gives two craps about your data, your browsing habits are worth more from a marketing perspective than your account balance (the knowledge of the balance).

LMAO
BarneyRubble is offline  
post #113 of 234 Old 11-03-2015, 10:10 AM
♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jerzey
Posts: 10,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

The absolute hilarity of this statement, and all the others on here screaming about Windows 10 "stealing" data......

Microsoft doesn't need Windows 10 to steal your data. They can do that with ANY of their software, at any point it is used. So even if you ran 100% open source on EVERYTHING you own, your bank doesn't. Your school doesn't. Your social media doesn't.

Microsoft doesn't need to steal your data from you, they could steal it from anyone you work with that uses their software. Not to mention they could easily retroactively push updates, unless you believe they already have them, back to any of their Internet connected software. Be it Windows 3.1, or Windows 10.

The complaint of privacy is fake. There is nothing magical or special about Windows 10 that gives Microsoft power they previously didn't have, or couldn't have.

Just stop.

If someone wants to steal all your data, it isn't Microsoft. Ignore the fact it would be illegal, the action itself. You can go secondary on it and look at the fact they are a publicly traded company. They, by law, have to protect their Shareholders. Any action they take, knowingly, that would cause the Shareholder loss, is more or less illegal. So even if Microsoft could steal your data "legally", the backlash over doing so would cause damage to their Shareholders. Thus they would be violating that law.

People, pull your heads out of your ass' (or just install a window), and breath for a moment. Microsoft gives two craps about your data, your browsing habits are worth more from a marketing perspective than your account balance (the knowledge of the balance).

you call my statement Laughable and you reply with this crap??

I said what I said now go enjoy your windows 10 life without me

My Opinion = I want more control of my OS, not Less Control.

Good enough for you?

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

StormX2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #114 of 234 Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 AM
 
DweeB0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You know Windows Defender is software and not a way of life, right?

DweeB0 is offline  
post #115 of 234 Old 11-03-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Masked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 7,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

Semantics?

If you make a transaction to buy something it's between you, the seller and maybe the IRS. Why should any outside party not mentioned in the contract, including Microsoft and all its partners (and from then on forget about controlling any sort of information), get access to it?

And where does your 5 years come from?

As for semantics, I can also ague that your personal files are also public knowledge. Almost everything you learned came from your interactions with the outside world, so where is the difference, really?

Why is it that you and your lawyer consider having purchased a copy of software X "performance data", but the audio tracks from an album you bought are personal files?

Next you know Microsoft will be defending the right to upload every file name in the music folder because it's not really personal data. Maybe one day you'll have to append a "- this is a personal audio recording from a family reunion" at the end of the file name in order to not have those files put on the list.

Your transactions have been public information for years...Your browsing data...Etc.

Your opinion of privacy is lacking all aspects of reality. In the past 5 years, Apple has admitted they give back-end access. Google has admitted they give access. Amazon has admitted they give access.

You have no reasonable expectation of privacy beyond the 4 corners of your private domicile.

Within that domicile lies true privacy.

Microsoft cannot legally, via the 4th amendment, breach actual, private information. - Everything else is public.

Itunes has full access to your music folder and the TOS states that Genius is compiled from public data.

Get with the 21st century.

In the 21st century, the last bastion of privacy is your home. Any breach into that without PC and permission, regardless of by whom, is a 4th amendment violation and thus, a constitutional breach. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

The absolute hilarity of this statement, and all the others on here screaming about Windows 10 "stealing" data......

Microsoft doesn't need Windows 10 to steal your data. They can do that with ANY of their software, at any point it is used. So even if you ran 100% open source on EVERYTHING you own, your bank doesn't. Your school doesn't. Your social media doesn't.

Microsoft doesn't need to steal your data from you, they could steal it from anyone you work with that uses their software. Not to mention they could easily retroactively push updates, unless you believe they already have them, back to any of their Internet connected software. Be it Windows 3.1, or Windows 10.

The complaint of privacy is fake. There is nothing magical or special about Windows 10 that gives Microsoft power they previously didn't have, or couldn't have.

Just stop.

If someone wants to steal all your data, it isn't Microsoft. Ignore the fact it would be illegal, the action itself. You can go secondary on it and look at the fact they are a publicly traded company. They, by law, have to protect their Shareholders. Any action they take, knowingly, that would cause the Shareholder loss, is more or less illegal. So even if Microsoft could steal your data "legally", the backlash over doing so would cause damage to their Shareholders. Thus they would be violating that law.

People, pull your heads out of your ass' (or just install a window), and breath for a moment. Microsoft gives two craps about your data, your browsing habits are worth more from a marketing perspective than your account balance (the knowledge of the balance).

thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post

you call my statement Laughable and you reply with this crap??

I said what I said now go enjoy your windows 10 life without me

My Opinion = I want more control of my OS, not Less Control.

Good enough for you?

I want to get paid for doing nothing but, posting on OCN but, then there's this thing called reality that says I actually have to work. It's tragic but, it exists.

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is difficult, only for others. It is the same when you are stupid. - Ricky Gervais.
Masked is offline  
post #116 of 234 Old 11-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Retired Staff
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The absolute hilarity of this statement, and all the others on here screaming about Windows 10 "stealing" data......

Microsoft doesn't need Windows 10 to steal your data. They can do that with ANY of their software, at any point it is used. So even if you ran 100% open source on EVERYTHING you own, your bank doesn't. Your school doesn't. Your social media doesn't.

Microsoft doesn't need to steal your data from you, they could steal it from anyone you work with that uses their software. Not to mention they could easily retroactively push updates, unless you believe they already have them, back to any of their Internet connected software. Be it Windows 3.1, or Windows 10.

The complaint of privacy is fake. There is nothing magical or special about Windows 10 that gives Microsoft power they previously didn't have, or couldn't have.

Just stop.

If someone wants to steal all your data, it isn't Microsoft. Ignore the fact it would be illegal, the action itself. You can go secondary on it and look at the fact they are a publicly traded company. They, by law, have to protect their Shareholders. Any action they take, knowingly, that would cause the Shareholder loss, is more or less illegal. So even if Microsoft could steal your data "legally", the backlash over doing so would cause damage to their Shareholders. Thus they would be violating that law.

People, pull your heads out of your ass' (or just install a window), and breath for a moment. Microsoft gives two craps about your data, your browsing habits are worth more from a marketing perspective than your account balance (the knowledge of the balance).


Where do I start? There is so much wrong in the post it's not even funny.

1. Microsoft could steal from other companies so it's all moot? What kind of argument is that?

2. Schools don't use proper software, so it makes it all moot? Again, what on earth is this for an argument? A school has already been punished for spying on their students, and I bet everyone agrees that they have to improve their infrastructure .

3. Social media does it? So it's all moot? Again, what? Facebook is in court in some European countries because of their abusive policies.

4. Microsoft wouldn't do anything that would make their shareholders lose money? What? Do I have to cite every anti-trust case they got involved in over the years? And even that argument of yours is just wrong because they can do illegal things and even after the fines they will still make more money than if they hadn't done that. So how is this moral at all? And why should consumers accept it?

5. They can push retroactive updates to their previous software? Yes, they can, but my agreement with them says that in Windows 7 and 8.1 I can refuse them.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post


Your transactions have been public information for years...Your browsing data...Etc.

Your opinion of privacy is lacking all aspects of reality. In the past 5 years, Apple has admitted they give back-end access. Google has admitted they give access. Amazon has admitted they give access.

You have no reasonable expectation of privacy beyond the 4 corners of your private domicile.

Within that domicile lies true privacy.

Microsoft cannot legally, via the 4th amendment, breach actual, private information. - Everything else is public.

Itunes has full access to your music folder and the TOS states that Genius is compiled from public data.

Get with the 21st century.

In the 21st century, the last bastion of privacy is your home. Any breach into that without PC and permission, regardless of by whom, is a 4th amendment violation and thus, a constitutional breach. Period.


False.

Your browsing data isn't public. To get it authorities need a warrant.

iTunes isn't the only way to get music, despite what you might think, and that doesn't make it ok for Microsoft to get that data either.


You're the one who should get in on the 21st century, acknowledge all of the places where these practices are being disputed in court and not be passively ok with the progressive erosion of privacy and choice to share what you want to share.
tpi2007 is online now  
post #117 of 234 Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
GorillaSceptre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I'm not interested in having an argument of semantics about what you consider personal data or otherwise. Data is subjective.

Every single piece of data you just named, is public and has been for @ 5 years; there is a difference between actual public and private data.

Your actual data is what the "fear" is about and you're rationalizing it by essentially identifying "all data" as personal data, it's not and it hasn't been for 5 years.

So, I completely agree with my lawyer...And I'm really not interested in having a semantics argument based on what information you think SHOULD BE private that hasn't been for half a decade.

TLDR: I disagree with you completely and entirely based upon your description of public information.

Best to just leave it..

I've had this argument in countless Windows 10 threads that keep popping up about the same issue. Your logic will just be ignored and the next thread will come along. Most of the people complaining about things they don't understand have a common denominator, and that's adding Linux at the end of their argument, i wonder why.. rolleyes.gif

But hey, if my preferred OS with a hipster, cult like following, had less than Windows Vista's market share, i'd also do my best to sell it to people. biggrin.gif

CPU: 2600k @ 4.8GHZ
MB: Maximus IV Extreme-Z
GPU: MSI 390X
CASE: 650D
AUDIO: Xonar Essence One-AKG Q701
GorillaSceptre is offline  
post #118 of 234 Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Audiophile
 
r0llinlacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Windows 10 sucks anyways.
r0llinlacs is offline  
post #119 of 234 Old 11-03-2015, 10:32 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequences View Post

Websites use cookies and ad companies track your movements and parse your mail for targeted ads. Is this all that surprising? When something is free, you are the product. If you believe it is wrong, stop using it.

To be fair, I just install Adblock Plus and there's that issue gone. rolleyes.gif

Awesome Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 go_quote.gif

I'm not worried in the least. I haven't taken anti-biotics in 12 years and I constantly lick my hands to build disease resistance.

My immune system is impenetrable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockturtle566 go_quote.gif

Windows XP is like a boss in a game that can heal it self. IT WON'T DIE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiber go_quote.gif

If you watch Jaws in reverse, it's about this shark that throws up so many people they had to open a beach because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k go_quote.gif

Hey cutie, wanna meet my friend BIOS ? It stands for Basic, input, outpu..SLAP!!

Giggidy.
Imglidinhere is online now  
post #120 of 234 Old 11-03-2015, 10:34 AM
 
Masked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 7,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

Your browsing data isn't public. To get it authorities need a warrant.

iTunes isn't the only way to get music, despite what you might think, and that doesn't make it ok for Microsoft to get that data either.

You're the one who should get in on the 21st century, acknowledge all of the places where these practices are being disputed in court and not be passively ok with the progressive erosion of privacy and choice to share what you want to share.

So - Postal is an actual ISP and we've had this discussion before.

Your browsing data is considered public the instant it leaves your domicile.

If an officer actually shows causation, ISP's don't wait for warrants, they immediately give that information to that authority.

My point about Itunes was proving that, your "albums" and "habits" are already gathered and are viewable by the "governing authority" so, it's quite irrelevant what M$ does.

I live in the 21st century. I acknowledge, that certain realities SUCK but, they're just that, realities. Among them are the loss of privacy in the past 5 years. Sorry but, facts. Cops can without a warrant, if they show even the slightest bit of PC, can now attain your browsing habits. Browsing habits that are already violated by Google. They can already read you mail, data that's already been violated by Verizon, Google et al.

You no longer have a reasonable expectation of privacy outside of the 4 corners of your private domicile. It sucks, it genuinely does but, it's reality.

It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSceptre View Post

Best to just leave it..

I've had this argument in countless Windows 10 threads that keep popping up about the same issue. Your logic will just be ignored and the next thread will come along. Most of the people complaining about things they don't understand have a common denominator, and that's adding Linux at the end of their argument, i wonder why.. rolleyes.gif

But hey, if my preferred OS with a hipster, cult like following, had less than Windows Vista's market share, i'd also do my best to sell it to people. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm kind of over it at this point. thumb.gif

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is difficult, only for others. It is the same when you are stupid. - Ricky Gervais.
Masked is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off