[Anand] Ashes of the Singularity Revisited: A Beta Look at DirectX 12 & Asynchronous Shading - Page 47 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #461 of 1175 Old 02-29-2016, 11:13 AM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I am from Bulgaria. The average here is MUCH worse than what is in Western Europe or the USA. And even to us, power consumptions is a small deal.

First of, you do not obviously use your PC all the time. So there is that. Also, people are for some reason forgetting IDLE Power consumption as well as consumption under light loads. Those are actually ... very important.
Also... for those that care so much, there is Frame Rate Target Control. There is also undervolting.

I am pretty much certain I would not have really saved who knows how much money if I went with a GTX 970. If any at all. And we are cheap as hell here, these GPUs are super expensive.

Defender of Gaming as an Art Form
Slayer of anti-gaming Consoles and the people who oppose eternal glory to our art form
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 1175 Old 02-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by specopsFI View Post

Look, now, I think you've posted a lot of interesting stuff on the forums and indeed many of the things you've pointed out are beginning to make sense. But lately you've started to go off the deep end with statements such as the bolded part above. You remind me of raghu78 who is able to give very good advice based on factual information, but who also has a tendency to extrapolate based on biased and/or incomplete data. There is simply no way you could know how Polaris vs Pascal will end up going. When you make such wildly speculative statements with such arrogant self-confidence, and in the same post preach about partisanship... rolleyes.gif

While I understand your concerns,
I used the term "if". If is not a statement of fact.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)
post #463 of 1175 Old 02-29-2016, 11:35 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sages View Post

Tom has a review out about ashes of the singularity. It´s an interesting read , particularly the power consumption part.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ashes-of-the-singularity-beta-async-compute-multi-adapter-power-consumption,review-33476.html

sure R9 390X use 150W more than GTX 980.. what a lie.
Also had R9 390X and whole PC was using 330W with bronze PSU. Tomshardware is trying to tell me that I am stupid? or maybe I need glasses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #464 of 1175 Old 02-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by sages View Post

Tom has a review out about ashes of the singularity. It´s an interesting read , particularly the power consumption part.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ashes-of-the-singularity-beta-async-compute-multi-adapter-power-consumption,review-33476.html

Thank you,

Those charts prove my statements smile.gif

CPU power consumption is higher on NVIDIA Maxwell under DX11 (multi threaded driver and static scheduling).

And Async compute does push the power usage up on AMD GCN.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)
post #465 of 1175 Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigan View Post

Thank you,

Those charts prove my statements smile.gif

CPU power consumption is higher on NVIDIA Maxwell under DX11 (multi threaded driver and static scheduling).

And Async compute does push the power usage up on AMD GCN.

Yep, but tomshardware doesnt even back up their own statements. In a year all that may change!
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-and-290x,3728-4.html

Do I see it right?
250W for gaming power consumption R9 290X OC?

Tomshardware is not great site... they are contradicting their own statements.
post #466 of 1175 Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 AM

Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themisseble View Post

sure R9 390X use 150W more than GTX 980.. what a lie.
Also had R9 390X and whole PC was using 330W with bronze PSU. Tomshardware is trying to tell me that I am stupid? or maybe I need glasses?

Everyone knows that the 390X is an extremely unefficient GPU. Get down to earth man.
290X was already using a lot of power. The more you increase clocks after a certain point, the less efficient it becomes. And it climbs like a rock even with smaller changes after a certain point
post #467 of 1175 Old 02-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Everyone knows that the 390X is an extremely unefficient GPU. Get down to earth man.
290X was already using a lot of power. The more you increase clocks after a certain point, the less efficient it becomes

I know I had it when I was building PC for my friend. But dont bull.... me when his whole PC was running under 300W while gaming with bronze PSU.

TOMSHARDWARE AND MANY SITES WILL CONTRADICT THEMSELVES!

I CANNOT BELIEVE MAN THAT WANTS TO CONVINCE ME THAT SINGLE R9 290X WILL USE 3x MORE POWER THAN SINGLE R9 270X!!

Large dies are more power efficient!
post #468 of 1175 Old 02-29-2016, 11:45 AM

Liked: 216
Quote:

I know I had it when I was building PC for my friend. But dont bull.... me when his whole PC was running under 300W while gaming with bronze PSU.

Thats what the cards itself draw.
I guess AOTS isnt as demanding on DX11 due to less usage on shaders (async compute perhaps) which cause the power draw to drop like that.
You see Nvidia`s cards stay the same during DX11 and DX12. Thats because they dont have async compute

Which makes me wonder if this is a sign of what future reviews of Pascal and Polairs will be about. AMD cards extremely inefficient. Cultprint: Async compute. I foresee tons of threads discussing this in the future tongue.gif
post #469 of 1175 Old 02-29-2016, 11:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Quote:

Thats what the cards itself draw.
I guess AOTS isnt as demanding on DX11 due to less usage on shaders (async compute perhaps) which cause the power draw to drop like that.
You see Nvidia`s cards stay the same during DX11 and DX12. Thats because they dont have async compute

They don't stay the same power. 980TI gains 40-50w. There are separated numbers for DX11, 12, and 12+ASYNC if you actually read the source. There is no guessing to be done,

You are also not listening to what he has to say. He measured it. From the wall. His actual numbers are worth more than your in-my-head-it-works numbers.
post #470 of 1175 Old 02-29-2016, 11:52 AM

Liked: 47
they tested the most powerhungry 390x you can possibly buy relax guys...rolleyes.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page