[WCCF] New Low for Microsoft: Removes the ‘X’ Button from Windows 10 Upgrade Dialog - Page 5 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #41 of 204 Old 06-03-2016, 08:19 AM
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrims View Post

I don't see a problem with this, but I know I am the minority.. For any Mac users, you should already be used to this, as if you delay long enough on OS X updates, it will eventually force the update, right now. At least Windows gives you the option to pick a time.. And if one is so concerned with not updating, simply pick a day 10 years from now!.

Definitely the minority here.

I paid for my 8.1 Pro license which is supported through what...2023 or something??? I will go ahead and use 8.1 Pro through it's supported timeframe with the freedoms/control it gives me that Win 10 does not have, or until Win 10 is fixed to give me the same level of control I have with 8.1 Pro.

M$ can stop trying to shove it down my throat. And everybody I know has either had their machines upgraded to 10 without their knowledge, or it's caused numerous issues for them. I don't want it, plain and simple. And since 8.1 is supported for many more years, I shouldn't have to take it.

Me, I want control over what apps I can have, what updates/drivers I use, among many other things.

Thank god for the GWX control panel that disables this crap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 204 Old 06-03-2016, 08:22 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anateus View Post

While I think that win10 is great and theres absolutely NO reason for people to stay on 7, this shouldnt happen. Shame, shame, MS

My system occasionally (read: often, without fail) locks up on Windows 10 and it requires a restart. Doesn't happen in Windows 7, 8/8.1, or various flavors of Ubuntu. I've tried many things, it's clear that Windows 10 is the issue and it's almost certainly an incompatibility issue.

I will admit that Windows 10 isn't as bad as people make it out to be... I do have another system with newer hardware (2014 vs ~2007) where everything works (except wifi issues once every few updates), but you're wrong to say that there isn't any reason why someone shouldn't upgrade. There are plenty of reasons why people shouldn't upgrade (especially if that upgrade is forced on them). I do support for a family friends' church and if their computers (only two) were forced to upgrade to Windows 10 there would be huge issues and if they weren't able to roll-back, would cost them money they don't have.

People need to take a step back and remember that their experience with the OS isn't the same experience others will have (or want). It's great that you're loving your experience and everything works how you want it to, but other people have problems with it and expect certain things out of their OS. They don't care about - or need - the added stuff in Windows 10 and are happy without it. It's simply OS-level bloatware to them.

post #43 of 204 Old 06-03-2016, 08:24 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 140
I laugh at people who say Win10 is crap and they'll never upgrade. Windows 7 end of support is 2020. That means it will go the way of XP and all the other pre XP OS's. Ya might as well just get with the times and update. I've converted enterprise users to Windows 10 because I actually learned the software (MCTS 70-697) and took some time teaching them. Be amazed what you can learn if you just open your mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 204 Old 06-03-2016, 08:26 AM
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

I laugh at people who say Win10 is crap and they'll never upgrade. Windows 7 end of support is 2020. That means it will go the way of XP and all the other pre XP OS's. Ya might as well just get with the times and update. I've converted enterprise users to Windows 10 because I actually learned the software (MCTS 70-697) and took some time teaching them. Be amazed what you can learn if you just open your mind.

I agree that Win 7 will go the way of XP. M$ really should have just kept the same business model and not locked down 10 the way they did and then they wouldn't have to keep forcing it down people's throats.

I don't think 10 is crap. I like it just fine on my laptop. But for my main machine, I don't want it. I have more control over my OS with 8.1 then I will with 10. Plain and simple.

post #45 of 204 Old 06-03-2016, 08:28 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

Can your MCTS magically make proper Windows 10 driver appear for older hardware? Can it bring back WMC from the grave on windows 10? Can it stop the automatic updates interrupting videos/streaming/ece?

If not, then many people will not upgrade. And that is a fact. Windows 10 isn't all it's cracked up to be.

post #46 of 204 Old 06-03-2016, 08:30 AM
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerusMaximus View Post

Can your MCTS magically make proper Windows 10 driver appear for older hardware? Can it bring back WMC from the grave on windows 10? Can it stop the automatic updates interrupting videos/streaming/ece?

If not, then many people will not upgrade. And that is a fact. Windows 10 isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Bingo. This is my issue with it. Removed features and lack of control that you have with 7/8.1

Edit: And M$'s tactics to force it down my throat isn't going to sway me. "Thank M$, please may I have another?"

post #47 of 204 Old 06-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

i would rather freshly install win10 than update from win7/8/8.1, updating almost always destroys something in the OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

I will be on W7 til the last update rolls out for it. and then to W8.1 and likewise will be on that til the last update of that OS and by that time W10 will be replaced (w10 is dropped when w8.1 is fully dropped)

maybe 11 will be better. maybe W10 is this era's Vista.. one can only hope

according to microsoft, there is no such thing as Win11 or 12 or 13... etc., there is only Win10 and it's numerous service packs.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

rolleyes.gif

just like 8 and 8.1 are considered "different" whatever they call the next iteration i hope it is better. if not enterprising people will do the same for W7 and w8.1 that they are currently doing with XP
post #48 of 204 Old 06-03-2016, 08:47 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerusMaximus View Post

Pardon my English. There may be mistakes in grammar/spelling.
Let's look at this in parts:

Drivers: They 99% of the time come from the software/hardware manufacturer, not Microsoft. That other 1% is default generic drives that MS bundles with the OS to give you basic functionality so you can visit the vendors website and get up to date drivers. If there isn't any drivers for your hardware, blame the vendor.

WMC: We live in a DIY world friends. One thing I've learned in IT is there is always a way around thing. You want WMC back on 10? I'll give you 3 sources:
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

On top of there, there are soooo man GPL/open source software that does things 1000% better that it makes WMC obsolete. Don't blame MS for your inability to change.

Automatic Updates: O...M..G.. Let me educate. There are 4 versions of Windows 10. Home, Pro, Enterprise, and Educations. Windows 10 Home DOES NOT HAVE THE FUNCTIONALITY to modify any update time or schedule. MS has decided to remove this feature because silly non educated uses like to schedule, reschedule, and cancel updates that are important to OS security. You know those service packs, security packs, hotfixes, etc that patch OS flaws? Yea 99% of infected machines belong to uneducated home users. You want to control your updates? Get WIndows 10 pro if your a home user. That allows you to notify to schedule AND defure upgrades. There is also advance options which allow your to modify that further. Enterprise and Education retain the same functionality for updates in 10 as in 7.

I swear, no one ready anything properly any more. We all just role with the hype/whine train and complain the same things that everyone else is without investigating ourself.

Oh and if your talking about all those twitch users who were in the middle of streaming and Windows 10 decided to update, I can bet it my rig it's these reasons below:

Using Windows 10 Home
Using Windows 10 pro with updates set to automatic

drops mic

post #49 of 204 Old 06-03-2016, 08:50 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 144
Like always, the zealots are crawling out of the woodwork. Check. With senseless appeals and the typical unfunny mockery. Check.

Just another day in the matrix. All systems functional.
post #50 of 204 Old 06-03-2016, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 400
This was downplayed to be an anomaly the last time this made news I think right?

Biased rPGA and MXM 3.0A/B Elitest.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page