[WinBuzzer] Microsoft Simplifies Multi-GPU Support for DirectX 12 Developers - Page 4 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 90 Old 07-07-2016, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
why cant they make them work like workstation cards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 Old 07-07-2016, 02:18 PM
First Time Build

Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

What in particular? Was it put into too broad of terms? The point of DX12 is to reduce driver overhead, and Nvidia does have a history of effectively bribing developers to cater their games to Nvidia hardware, harming AMD's offerings in the process (directly or indirectly, depending upon how you want to look at it). Both of those are true as I stated them, so perhaps his words were too broad/not explicit enough? In fairness to what I said, I will point out that while AMD's Gaming Evolved hasn't leveled the playing field compared to Nvidia's TWIMTBP, neither company is innocent anymore.

It's also funny to think that async compute is going to be this generations tessellation.

post #33 of 90 Old 07-07-2016, 03:11 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

What in particular? Was it put into too broad of terms? The point of DX12 is to reduce driver overhead, and Nvidia does have a history of effectively bribing developers to cater their games to Nvidia hardware, harming AMD's offerings in the process (directly or indirectly, depending upon how you want to look at it). Both of those are true as I stated them, so perhaps his words were too broad/not explicit enough? In fairness to what I said, I will point out that while AMD's Gaming Evolved hasn't leveled the playing field compared to Nvidia's TWIMTBP, neither company is innocent anymore.

That DX12 doesn't require drivers.

That AMDs specific way of handling of async compute shaders is a dx12 feature, and also the implication that it's the only correct implementation.

The claim that nvidia supports no dx12 features when in reality they support nearly every dx12 feature introduced to date, to some degree at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 90 Old 07-07-2016, 03:22 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiumone View Post

It's also funny to think that async compute is going to be this generations tessellation.
For that AMD would have to make developers to use async in a level that it only hinder performance. Which they can't. Ideally implemented async will only improve performance. There have been lower performance with nVidia cards with async on, but it was an early build and nVidia itself is to blame for keep stating that cards support it, driver says the card support it, but in reality it doesn't. Or at least the definition of async that everyone else is talking about and using for games.
Blameless and LAKEINTEL like this.
post #35 of 90 Old 07-07-2016, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 280
post #36 of 90 Old 07-07-2016, 03:51 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 23
Multi GPU and SLI is a dying breed.
99.99% of people are happy with Single-GPUs.

ANd before anyone asks- yes I've been using SLI since the Voodoo 2 when it was still Scan Line Interleave.
post #37 of 90 Old 07-07-2016, 05:59 PM

Liked: 50
If Adobe apps and Autodesk apps supported Vulkan on SteamOS.. Good bye microsoft.. biggrin.gif
post #38 of 90 Old 07-07-2016, 07:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 135
Sounds good! Im keen to try a setup with AMD and NVIDIA cards working together to see what kind of performance results.
Something new to fiddle with is always good.

Just started to play with Unity, so maybe by the time I'm a pro game-dev, it'll be nice n easy to make use of multi-card setups

"Out here, survival is the name of the game. Only it's not a game; it's deadly serious." - R. Coight
post #39 of 90 Old 07-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranfam View Post

Making it easier could help make this more common than it is now. But, I won't hold my breath. Multi-GPU support across different models could have a negative impact on performance, I am interested to see what they will do.

Oddly enough when this was tested at DX12's launch, gpus from different vendors performed better than mismatched gpus from the same vendor. Ofcourse it does perform worse than matching gpus.
post #40 of 90 Old 07-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughtahouse View Post

It was news a while ago, however, they have showed no effort to keep on it. Until now. The only DX12 game that the developer has put in the work for cross gpu support was Ashes of the Singularity. DigitalFoundary did a video showing the performance of mixing Nvidia with AMD. Also, moving cards from different PCI-E slots on the motherboard.

You're missing the point of this "feature." And you have entirely missed the point of DX12 in general.

1. This "feature" makes it easier for developers to implement multi-GPU in DX12, at the cost of scaling efficiency. A properly done multi-GPU DX12 setup would get 90-99% scaling, while multi-GPU implemented through this method might get 50% scaling or less.

2. DX12 was never about making the work easier for the developer. It was all about letting the developer do as they want at the expense of requiring more work to implement. Where DX11 was making an art piece with templates, DX12 is giving a blank canvas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pas008 View Post

why cant they make them work like workstation cards?

Because workstation cards don't need to worry about synchronizing their output with millisecond precision.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page