[Winaero] Microsoft locks some Group Policy options to Enterprise editions in Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Page 6 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #51 of 237 Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I remember people saying home users should be buying Windows 10 Pro in the first place if they want to tweak their settings.
lol

Does that excuse work now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 237 Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Politically Incorrect

Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat79 View Post

I've been using the enterprise edition for months now on the fast ring update and I haven't seen any downside using it over Pro. In fact, it appears to be less buggy and somewhat smoother/snappier feeling. This does suck for Pro users though. I have come to enjoy W10 very much now. As long as they keep the enterprise edition like it is, I'll stay with it. I went back to 7 a few months ago after 2 years of 8/10 usage and there is no way I would ever go back to 7. I feels akin to going from Win 7 to XP now. I'm not defending MS by any means. It's a very crappy move to restrict the Pro version even further but I encourage anyone that like 10 or wants to try it to use the enterprise version regardless of restrictions. It's a much better build than Home or Pro, especially with the newest anniversary builds. They have added a ton of new features and fixed more bugs than I could count. It's very polished compared to the 1511_10586 (non insider preview) build that most people use.

All those thousands of beta testers M$py fired have been replaced by millions of Home and Pro users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DweeB0 View Post

I remember people saying home users should be buying Windows 10 Pro in the first place if they want to tweak their settings.
lol

Does that excuse work now?

Please elaborate.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #53 of 237 Old 07-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Quote:

I've been using the enterprise edition for months now on the fast ring update and I haven't seen any downside using it over Pro. In fact, it appears to be less buggy and somewhat smoother/snappier feeling. This does suck for Pro users though. I have come to enjoy W10 very much now. As long as they keep the enterprise edition like it is, I'll stay with it. I went back to 7 a few months ago after 2 years of 8/10 usage and there is no way I would ever go back to 7. I feels akin to going from Win 7 to XP now. I'm not defending MS by any means. It's a very crappy move to restrict the Pro version even further but I encourage anyone that like 10 or wants to try it to use the enterprise version regardless of restrictions. It's a much better build than Home or Pro, especially with the newest anniversary builds. They have added a ton of new features and fixed more bugs than I could count. It's very polished compared to the 1511_10586 (non insider preview) build that most people use.
All those thousands of beta testers M$py fired have been replaced by millions of Home and Pro users.

Once again, I agree that MS is using some very shady practices lately but my point still stands for those wanting to use W10 regardless of this. Use the Enterprise edition if some of the restrictions they have added to Pro bother you. Until they start encroaching on Enterprise builds, I will continue to use it. And I don't see them ever doing that for enterprise. Way too much potential money lost if they piss off their enterprise customers. There are no downsides that I can find for using Enterprise, only more options and stability. This is somewhat off-topic so I'll leave it be. I just wanted to put it out there for those that haven't tried 10 yet and want to or any that use it already and want an unrestricted version. The final Anniversary build is due out in a few days so it would be a good time for anyone wanting to test out 10 for the first time or revisit it if they didn't like the initial release. It has changed by a HUGE amount since 1511. And go Enterprise, of course.

1) "Couldn't care less" not "Could care less" 2) "Moot" not "Mute" 3) "For all intents and purposes" not "For all intensive purposes" 4) "Their/There/They're", "Affect/Effect", "Than/Then", "Your/You're", "To/Too/Two" learn the differences.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 237 Old 07-29-2016, 11:02 PM
Politically Incorrect

Liked: 604
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Quote:

Once again, I agree that MS is using some very shady practices lately but my point still stands for those wanting to use W10 regardless of this. Use the Enterprise edition if some of the restrictions they have added to Pro bother you. Until they start encroaching on Enterprise builds, I will continue to use it. And I don't see them ever doing that for enterprise. Way too much potential money lost if they piss off their enterprise customers. There are no downsides that I can find for using Enterprise, only more options and stability. This is somewhat off-topic so I'll leave it be. I just wanted to put it out there for those that haven't tried 10 yet and want to or any that use it already and want an unrestricted version.

I totally agree, if I ever use Win Spy it will be Enterprise. I definitely won't Win LOL (Home) or Win Fail (Pro).

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #55 of 237 Old 07-29-2016, 11:09 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 120
I'm looking forward to that free upgrade period finally ending.

DX 12 isn't worth this. Not even close to being a fair trade off. It seems like these changes are gimping win 10 users more than 8 and 7. I thought they'd wait a day or two after the close off before throwing their captives under the bus.

post #56 of 237 Old 07-29-2016, 11:20 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 21
How does one get his hands on a copy of the enterprise edition?

post #57 of 237 Old 07-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Kaz View Post

My one true hope is that this paves the way for something else to fill the gap. If only gaming companies supported Linux...

Gaming companies do support Linux. Deep Silver, Codemasters, Paradox Interactive, Square Enix, Relic Entertainment, 2K Games are the biggest ones.

It's a chicken or the egg scenario. Many gaming publishers don't release linux games because of it's limited market, but people are reluctant to switch to linux because there isn't enough games.

50 Million+ Folding at Home points  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x2  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016  Foldathon Participant 2017  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #58 of 237 Old 07-30-2016, 12:28 AM
Programmer

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 156
So that's it, thanks for turning my laptop into a toy M$
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slomo4shO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimensive View Post

There's not really a "best" distro, it's finding the one that is best suited for you. I prefer Linux Mint MATE.

Maybe I should reword it differently. Which one do you think I can get the wife to adopt with least resistance? biggrin.gif

Zorin would be your best bet

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #59 of 237 Old 07-30-2016, 12:49 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCoder4ever View Post

Zorin would be your best bet

Agreed, typing with an old converted win xp laptop right now that is running Zorin. My wife adopted easily, which isn't something, its EVERYTHING as to how similar it is... biggrin.gif

post #60 of 237 Old 07-30-2016, 01:19 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Yes. Its super hard to get people to change from OS to OS but if you keep updating people have no control.

Well this is also the OSX approach.
The OS keeps being updated, even big changes from 9 to 10 and soon MacOS, but overall you are tied to the same OS overall. You get updated as you move along.
Windows will be the same. Even if they bring out windows 11, it will be basically just an update to windows 10. And since everything is under automatic updates, and since MS are trying to disable the option to self-control it, you will get updated as time goes by.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page