post #61 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Security Sleuth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandh View Post
Because you cant afford to buy something it is suddenly A-OK to steal it?!?!

That is total rubbish.

If you don't even have enough money to buy a $50 video game, what the heck are you doing wasting your time playing video games?????

Go mow a lawn or something!!!!!

Would you mind replying to the point made in my post insead of nit-picking my obviously sarcastic jab at the preferred dialect of many software pirates?

Also, I was calling software pirates "BROKE JOKES" not your post bud. Hooray for reading comprehension!

Btw, I edited all of the capitals out of my post above, and have now switched to bold text, in hopes that it may now be easier for you to provide a counterpoint.

I'd instantly mark your post for moderation if I felt like having mods interfere with this discussion. Let it be stated that you're trolling harder with every post you write.

I have a part time job, I'm a full-time student, I work full-time in summer, and I'm an Information systems major / CS minor. I'm a programmer. Trust me, I know the ins and outs of the discussion, and it's not as clean cut as you would like it to be.

10 years of overclocking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait Sith Cat View Post
I'd instantly mark your post for moderation if I felt like having mods interfere with this discussion. Let it be stated that you're trolling harder with every post you write.

I have a part time job, I'm a full-time student, I work full-time in summer, and I'm an Information systems major / CS minor. I'm a programmer. Trust me, I know the ins and outs of the discussion, and it's not as clean cut as you would like it to be.
Says the piracy advocate.

If it isn't as clean cut as I would like it to be, why don't you go ahead and share with the class?

P.S. Cut the trolling comments and empty threats. I haven't personally attacked anyone, at least no more than you did with your first reply criticizing my choice to use capital letters. You are no less guilty than I.

post #63 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Security Sleuth

Liked: 90
Quote:
Says the piracy advocate.

If it isn't as clean cut as I would like it to be, why don't you go ahead and share with the class?

P.S. Cut the trolling comments and empty threats. I haven't personally attacked anyone, at least no more than you did with your first reply criticizing my choice to use capital letters. You are no less guilty than I.
Calling blacks ******s isn't attacking someone personally, nor is it acceptable.

My explanation is the previous page (the one where I mentioned your lack of an argument). I'll quote it again, just in case you didn't read the whole post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
And yes, I understand your point about opportunity cost/loss. Look at it this way:

Let's assume for a moment that a piece of software 'softWare' is un-pirateable. You can't hack it. No way. It costs sPrice dollars. The question someone can ask is, "Would I pay that much for softWare?" If the answer is no, then in the current world, piracy is not stealing by way of the fact that the company wouldn't have had that money anyway.

On the other hand, if you were willing to pay sPrice for softWare, the question of morals can get a bit murky. Can you afford to pay the price, or not? If you can, it is the closest thing to "stealing" that piracy can be. If you do not have the money to get the software, then it's certainly arguable.

This is why not as many people argue vehemently over Adobe CS3 ($2500) getting pirated versus Unreal 3 ($50) or other games. There's no way in hell that CS3 at retail price is going to be losing potential revenue from college students dabbling with it to make 'lolcat' pictures, but Epic could be losing potential revenue from those same students who have UT LANs every Friday.
Rather than simply saying "I'm poor and I can't buy it", I'm explaining that opportunity cost is indeed a large part of the question.

10 years of overclocking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 06:49 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 182
1) Most games are online nowaday, you cant play online without buying a serial key

2) If they put better piracy protection on games then this wouldnt be a problem. Im sure my flatmates could come up with something in a day

3) The games are about 7gb, thats pretty big. I sure cant be bothered to download them now, id rather go out and buy it

4) If they made the games more like £20 rather than £30-40 then there wouldnt be as big an issue

5) Why don't they offer selling cd keys off their websites? That way people who have downloaded it can play it online by buying a cd key

6) If they didnt make it so easy to hack games or just updated them all the time then more people would want to play it online *cough*Crysis*cough*

7) Why does it cost more to buy it from services like Direct2Drive than to buy it from a shop..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjecT TimeZ go_quote.gif
Yeah well, I like good-looking reliable women, but I now know what a paper bag was invented for.
post #65 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 06:51 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 97
Quote:
That's like saying Chevy screwed over everyone who bought a Silverado because one out of every 10,000 dropped a tranny.

Bioshock worked perfect for me.
except it wasn't close to 10000 to 1
post #66 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Liked: 205
Ok guys I started this thread so I guess I'll toss my two cents in.Not every company that makes games is a giant corporation that is unaffected by lost sales.If you have a computer that will run the latest games then you can find the money to pay for the game or wait till the price drops.There's used on Ebay but the company doesn't make money on it.More and better demo's would help with the choice of buying or not but if they put out a good game they should be rewarded.I think their are a lot of people who steal the games that they can afford and rationalize about it.I can't afford to go out and buy them most of the time so I wait for the price to drop.

post #67 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 346
Send a message via AIM to reberto Send a message via Skype™ to reberto
Meh, if its on steam (and not crappy) I'll buy it. Otherwise...

post #68 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 598
Quote:
Calling blacks ******s isn't attacking someone personally, nor is it acceptable.
That isn't a place this conversation needs to go.

Saying I think people who make lame excuses for their sub-par performance in life are "a joke" is perfectly acceptable.

What is not acceptable to me is people who bend words to fabricate excuses for their less-than-excusable behavior.

Quote:
My explanation is the previous page (the one where I mentioned your lack of an argument). I'll quote it again, just in case you didn't read the whole post.

Rather than simply saying "I'm poor and I can't buy it", I'm explaining that opportunity cost is indeed a large part of the question.
Your explanation was essentially a paraphrase of your own and other's posts preceding it. It didn't bring anything new to the table, for me at least.

Not to mention which... I don't really care whether piracy hurts the bottom line. If you can't afford a certain activity, you need to make yourself able to afford it, not make lame excuses.

I guess people just don't care to show respect for anything anymore- not even themselves. Or maybe they never have... I don't know.

post #69 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 41
I have to wait as well sometimes I will save up and get something new but for the most part its not a top priority for me. I finally bought age of empires 3 last December, after using a friend of mines for a couple years. do i have the expansion packs, no not yet, all in good time

Peace!
John
"I only know a snowflake cannot exist in a storm of fire."
MICHIGAN OVERCLOCKERS
post #70 of 203 Old 03-06-2008, 07:12 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 577
Send a message via AIM to XFreeRollerX Send a message via MSN to XFreeRollerX
I have a hard time beleiving these numbers