post #21 of 52 Old 04-22-2008, 04:04 AM
Forum Manager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
All OS's have security vulnerabilities. The clue to a good OS is how quickly these vulnerabilities are patched.
Well thants windows out...well the window. No im joking. I find MS to be fairly responsive when it comes down to patches and fixes.

Welcome to Overclock
grouphug.gif Fold for the Cause, Fold for the People grouphug.gif

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  100 Million+ Folding at Home points  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 Old 04-22-2008, 04:52 AM
4.0ghz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post
Where did you draw that? Vista was hacked before Linux.
Where did I draw that? It's called seeing it done.
post #23 of 52 Old 04-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Multi-Quote King

Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4rdcor3 View Post
your original statement gave the impression that you wanted to move to linux because windows has bad security which is a very poor argument.
Not saying windows is secure or not - how is security a poor argument? If he thinks windows isn't secure enough for him, isn't that a good enough reason to switch?

Quote:
Same programmers can make the same flaws twice. I've experienced this in far simpler situations.
I suppose. But if they built this HUGE thing from the ground up, I think the chance would be rather low that this would happen. Of course I'm just speculating; none of US could possibly know for sure, unless one of us were a microsoft dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spart View Post
Linux is in fact more vulnerable than Vista as is Mac. Did you see where the team hacked into a macbook air and took control of it in less than a minute?
Wait, how does that work?

OSX was hacked... Then vista was hacked... Linux was NOT hacked... Therefore, "Linux is in fact more vulnerable than vista?"

That doesn't add up, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Well thants windows out...well the window. No im joking. I find MS to be fairly responsive when it comes down to patches and fixes.
Yes, I agree. Support for windows is generally good.

"I just talk the way I see things... If that's offensive to you... I'm sorry; you're a loser." - Michael Savage

"But you would be amazed by how many people think that the only reason to have a computer is to play games, and that playing games is all that anyone with a computer does." - dangerousHobo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 52 Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Apple Enthusiast

Liked: 245
Quote:
Linux is in fact more vulnerable than Vista as is Mac. Did you see where the team hacked into a macbook air and took control of it in less than a minute?
actually in the Pwn2Own comp Mac was hacked first, followed by Vista, and Linux wasnt even cracked.

Quote:
Where did you draw that? Vista was hacked before Linux.
indeed it was; however, in my opinion the reason Linux wasnt hacked/left until last, was due to its popularity/respect among experienced users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESeidel View Post
Also if 90% of people would use Linux it would be more interesting for hackers to search holes.
completely agree with this point. If Linux was in M$'s spot, a lot more bugs would be found and exploited in the Linux kernel.

BUT, it would be interesting to see nonetheless. i wonder if the attacks on M$ and Mac are nothing but attacks at large corporations rather than common operating systems. Perhaps that is the reason why in the Pwn2Own comp, Linux was attempted AFTER Vista and Mac OSX.

Steam: Flatliner

Origin: FlatlinerG

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #25 of 52 Old 04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Luck++

Liked: 417
Quote:
Where did I draw that? It's called seeing it done.
You referenced PWN to OWN, and in that competition Vista lost out to Linux. How did you draw the conclusion from that that Linux was less secure?

Quote:
indeed it was; however, in my opinion the reason Linux wasnt hacked/left until last, was due to its popularity/respect among experienced users.
That was a point brought up before, since the Linux laptop costs less then a Vista laptop there was more motivation to hack the Vista laptop.
post #26 of 52 Old 04-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Multi-Quote King

Liked: 845
Quote:
How did you draw the conclusion from that that Linux was less secure?
Magic. He's Harry Potter!

Quote:
That was a point brought up before, since the Linux laptop costs less then a Vista laptop there was more motivation to hack the Vista laptop.
I thought we disregarded this, since the prize money is worth more than any of those computers + software combined. It makes the most sense to go for the easiest one to win the $10k, not to get the (maximum) $2k laptop.

"I just talk the way I see things... If that's offensive to you... I'm sorry; you're a loser." - Michael Savage

"But you would be amazed by how many people think that the only reason to have a computer is to play games, and that playing games is all that anyone with a computer does." - dangerousHobo
post #27 of 52 Old 04-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Luck++

Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
Magic. He's Harry Potter!
Autograph?!

Quote:
I thought we disregarded this, since the prize money is worth more than any of those computers + software combined. It makes the most sense to go for the easiest one to win the $10k, not to get the (maximum) $2k laptop.
I must have unsubscribed to the thread before this conclusion was drawn.
post #28 of 52 Old 04-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Liked: 6
There are always going to be hacked OS's why would a hacker waste time on Linux when there are million more users in Windows were he can screw up their computers?

Veni, Vidi, Vici
post #29 of 52 Old 04-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Game Programmer

Liked: 829
Quote:
I thought vista was built "from the ground up."

They shoulda used this in pwn2own.
lol, you honestly think they scrapped ALL the code from all previous versions and wrote this from scratch? That is funny. How much do you think that would cost them?

I don't remember ever hearing they wrote it from the ground up. I heard they re-worked parts of the kernal and security systems.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #30 of 52 Old 04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 149
Wow before you idiots start flaming I didn't even know linux was in that pwn 2 own or whatever. I read about it in an article. How about give someone a ****ing chance to talk before you outright flame for no reason? And I have seen linux hacked. I know 2 people capable of doing it.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page