[NEO] Windows 8 Milestone 2 already compiled - Page 4 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 98 Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 AM
Programmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I just hope Win8 brings something worth upgrading for to the table. For instance DX10 in Vista. Otherwise I'll be perfectly content with Vista for a few more years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 AM
1.3ghz

Liked: 17
Play mostly MMO's, stuck in the past with directx9. Keep updating my video card for trival gains. New game Rift (beta) still directx9. Hope Windows 8 will bring something that MMO's willl want to switch too.

Black Ice 480GTX > Swifttech MCP355 w XSPC reservoir top > Swifttech Apogee GTX copper top > D-Tek GFX-2 > North DD x48 MPC > South EK > Alpha Cool Reservoir *AS Ceramique*

http://service.futuremark.com/result...&resultType=14 18049 3dmark06 CPU 4.0 Video 859 core

post #33 of 98 Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 AM
733mhz

Liked: 11
Only problem I've had with Win7 so far is during heavy OC... not Microsoft's fault.

They should like put out a sp2 and leave it for a while before W8.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 98 Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;11883877 
Personally, it's just a half assed grab for cash.

"Guys! The adoption rate of Windows 7 is awesome, but you know what would make us even more money? Release ANOTHER operating system!"

+1 - I entirely agree. There is zero need for MS to release some new piece of garbage that will either break current applications, bork any hardware currently in use, or be a platform to add more useless and bloated features no one will ever use.

And I think a Win8 will be a loose when it comes to Enterprise, because corporates are just now beginning to migrate to Win7 - having entirely skipped Vista over. MS would be better off getting rid of all the crazy version permutations, and consoldating their lineup into something rational and understandable. Like Home Basic - I don't think anyone uses it, at least every system I see in stores has Home Premium - and I think that detracts, because people see "Home" and equate it to "Lame" - when really, the garbageware they include to make it "Professional" is actually "Lame" and could be "Killed".

Of course, Win8 is probably another Steve Ballmer turkey - based on his previous utterings, if he says Win8 is going to be "the best", head for the hills, because it will be one massive ball of hurt that will alienate even the hardest core of Windows fanbots.
post #35 of 98 Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 AM

Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giac;11884109 
So you're not glad they're releasing a new windows? confused.gif
Nope.
Not enough time to properly develop.
Given the time frame, it's still based on Vista/7.

XP has lasted 10 years, why try to replace W7 within 2-3?
There's absolutely no reason I would have to buy another Windows operating system, when this one is supported until 2020.

post #36 of 98 Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 137
You guys can speak for yourselves and say you would be on XP if it weren't for DX11. I love the taskbar and physically can't use a computer without it. I also can't stand the crappy harsh fonts that are on XP. You guys must be blind.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #37 of 98 Old 01-04-2011, 06:44 AM
sleepy cat mode

Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrdrdrd;11882501 
Windows ME: Bloated 98
How can ME be a bloated 98 when ME removed MS-DOS?

post #38 of 98 Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 AM
4.4Ghz for Netflix

Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlex;11883432 
Windows 8 should be getting rid of the registry, and also the decrease in performance that all versions Windows experience after a long time. Windows 8 will be a necessary stepping stone.

Wasn't Windows 7/Vista meant to both of those as well as add in WinFS?

They'll never get rid of the registry, there will be some form of legacy support for it at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham;11884805 
You guys can speak for yourselves and say you would be on XP if it weren't for DX11. I love the taskbar and physically can't use a computer without it. I also can't stand the crappy harsh fonts that are on XP. You guys must be blind.

Also add in the fact XP slows to a crawl after a month, graphics drivers aren't as optimised and the multiple-CPU/Core stack is absolute crap.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #39 of 98 Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 AM
? I can game anywhere ...I want to. ?

Liked: 319
I fear for W8. I don't care for cloud and I think it will be an even worse idea if metered internet comes to the US.

Can anyone explain to me why MSI needs our laptops back on top of the wholesale price they're already more or less recouping from us with their GT72(s)/GT80(s) trade in program? MSI isn't a company you can trust!
post #40 of 98 Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz;11884907 
Wasn't Windows 7/Vista meant to both of those as well as add in WinFS?

WinFS was part of the Longhorn mercy killing. It promised to be horrible in all regards, and though FAT is fairly brain damaged, at least it is simple and not proprietary. WinFS would break every application, and nothing was compatible with it - while offering no actual benefits.

if MS wants to do something progressive, they could add in the option of other file systems, like e2fs/e3fs - which are proven and solid.
Quote:
They'll never get rid of the registry, there will be some form of legacy support for it at least.

The only reason for the Registry was to support Ali Baba - which the DOJ killed off, and was one of the core "strengths" of BOB - that and Smart Wizards. Innovations like this make MS the laughing stock because they are so terribly implemented, and developed for all the wrong reasons.

Just like Win8 - it will offer nothing of benefit over Win7, will attract few customers, and will be intended for machines no one runs, and will support only a tiny handful of special applications and will break everything else. That's my prediction, based on the messes MS got themselves into every other time they tried these shenanigans. A new OS every 5 years is more like it, by the time we spent two years not running it until there are enough service packs and when there is software, and a year learning to set it up right - then two years of actual use before spending the next two years waiting for the next OS to become usable...

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page