need help picking sound card - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hey i need some help on picking a really good high end sound card with really good sq and that can take bass looking for something good for both gameing and music but in 1 card so any help or links would help thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Database Developer

Liked: 61
Will you be using headphones or speakers? What is your budget? Internal or external, PCI or PCI-e?

post-flame-small.gifOCN Headphone Clubpost-flame-small.gif
"Because perfect hair is overrated"
post #3 of 27 Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post

Will you be using headphones or speakers? What is your budget? Internal or external, PCI or PCI-e?
both speakers and headphones and there is no budget and sound card for my mobo msi z77A-gd65 on the mobo its self
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Database Developer

I think, but I'm not sure (someone else will be able to confirm) that you can have both speakers and headphones plugged in to the Sound Blaster Ti-HD.

Other cards I know you can do that with would be the Sound Blaster Z series (Z, Zx, ZxR) and the Xonar ST/STX.

Of those, the Ti-HD is probably the best value (not sure if there is a built in headphone amp, though); followed by the Xonar STX (though both the Z and Zx are cheaper than the STX).

If money is no object, and you have the open slots, the ZxR is supposedly a wonderful card, but at $250 it might not be worth it.

If it were me, and again money is no object, I would go for the ST (PCI, $208ish on Amazon) or the STX (PCI-e, $190ish on Amazon). That would be because I would use the built in headphone amp.

Note I am only suggesting cards where you can have both headphones and speakers plugged in to the rear of the card. I have issues with the front inputs on my case, therefore I do not suggest any cards where you might need to do that for your headphones.

If you don't mind swapping cables every time you want to swap between headphones and speakers, the Xonar DG is a great 5.1 card at $30.

post #5 of 27 Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post

I think, but I'm not sure (someone else will be able to confirm) that you can have both speakers and headphones plugged in to the Sound Blaster Ti-HD.

Other cards I know you can do that with would be the Sound Blaster Z series (Z, Zx, ZxR) and the Xonar ST/STX.

Of those, the Ti-HD is probably the best value (not sure if there is a built in headphone amp, though); followed by the Xonar STX (though both the Z and Zx are cheaper than the STX).

If money is no object, and you have the open slots, the ZxR is supposedly a wonderful card, but at $250 it might not be worth it.

If it were me, and again money is no object, I would go for the ST (PCI, $208ish on Amazon) or the STX (PCI-e, $190ish on Amazon). That would be because I would use the built in headphone amp.

Note I am only suggesting cards where you can have both headphones and speakers plugged in to the rear of the card. I have issues with the front inputs on my case, therefore I do not suggest any cards where you might need to do that for your headphones.

If you don't mind swapping cables every time you want to swap between headphones and speakers, the Xonar DG is a great 5.1 card at $30.
so what one u think would have the best sound all pay what ever idc lol im prob gona buy the new corsair headphones and corsair speaker sub set its all goin in a corsair 900d case with a waterblock set up on prob 2 or 3 7970 cards
post #6 of 27 Old 04-13-2013, 01:44 AM
Database Developer

For Corsair headphones? Any of them. They're all going to sound better out of better headphones for sure. Take your budget for headphones and look at the recommended audio products list and find some good headphones there. The difference will very likely be night and day.

post #7 of 27 Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

im going with the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR SBX PCIE Gaming Sound Card with the Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset and the corsair Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-Power 2.1
post #8 of 27 Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by msi intel gamer View Post

im going with the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR SBX PCIE Gaming Sound Card with the Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset and the corsair Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-Power 2.1

You won't be able to connect that headset to your sound card because it's a USB headset.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

post #9 of 27 Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 AM

Liked: 860
As Bentz said, the sound card will do absolutely nothing for your headset.

If you really care about sound quality, go with an external DAC versus a sound card and get real headphones instead of a headset.

Pictures Of Cars/Motorcycles That Make You Smile

♪♫♪♫♪♫

I saw that day, lost my mind
Lord, I'll find, maybe in time
You'll want to be mine
post #10 of 27 Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 67
With no budget you will get much better sound with a good set of speakers and an amp. For a headset I would get something way better than corsiar, sennheiser makes some very nice sets.

My wife said "It's me or the computer!" I still miss her.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page