Looking to increase recording quality - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 08-14-2013, 06:25 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
TwoCables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brooklyn Park, Mini Soda
Posts: 76,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post

ok so the snowball picks up my keyboard (bought one to try it out at best buy.

are there, and i hope im saying this right, uni-directional mics like this?

The reason it's picking up your keyboard is due to being a large diaphragm condenser mic. It's like a speaker phone, only a speaker phone is a small diaphragm condenser.

 Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

 

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

TwoCables is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz
 
eosgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

The reason it's picking up your keyboard is due to being a large diaphragm condenser mic. It's like a speaker phone, only a speaker phone is a small diaphragm condenser.


i guess then the thing i want is a higher quality clip on mic and in a perfect world wireless clip on mic or headset mic that wont have static or any other noise issue when recording

eosgreen is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 08-15-2013, 05:24 AM
Fan Man
 
DVLux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

The reason it's picking up your keyboard is due to being a large diaphragm condenser mic. It's like a speaker phone, only a speaker phone is a small diaphragm condenser.

Are you sure it's not because of the pattern it's using?

Also, you can't really get "High quality" in a clip mic. Good electronics do require space.

Meow?
DVLux is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 29 Old 08-15-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz
 
eosgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLux View Post

Are you sure it's not because of the pattern it's using?

Also, you can't really get "High quality" in a clip mic. Good electronics do require space.

hm ok so what are my options for good mics that wont pick up my mouse clicks or keyboard types

eosgreen is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Fan Man
 
DVLux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post

hm ok so what are my options for good mics that wont pick up my mouse clicks or keyboard types

Any cardioid patterned mic should work, technically, assuming it's not facing your keyboard, and/or you aren't using a loud mechanical keyboard...and assuming you don't have anything else behind you. The Yeti can do Cardioid, if you set it up properly.

Meow?
DVLux is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 08-15-2013, 02:28 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
TwoCables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brooklyn Park, Mini Soda
Posts: 76,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLux View Post

Are you sure it's not because of the pattern it's using?

Also, you can't really get "High quality" in a clip mic. Good electronics do require space.

The pattern it's using is not going to determine whether or not someone gets static.
Static is a sign of either electronic interference, or a poor cable connection at some point along the cable. Or, it could even be a problem with the mic itself and not the cable. Either way, it has nothing to do with the pickup pattern.

 Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

 

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

TwoCables is online now  
post #27 of 29 Old 08-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Fan Man
 
DVLux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

The pattern it's using is not going to determine whether or not someone gets static.
Static is a sign of either electronic interference, or a poor cable connection at some point along the cable. Or, it could even be a problem with the mic itself and not the cable. Either way, it has nothing to do with the pickup pattern.

You learn more every day. tongue.gif

Meow?
DVLux is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
TwoCables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brooklyn Park, Mini Soda
Posts: 76,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLux View Post

You learn more every day. tongue.gif

Well, I mean think about it: what is the pickup pattern? What makes the pickup pattern become the pattern that it is? How could any pickup pattern result in static?

 Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

 

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

TwoCables is online now  
post #29 of 29 Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 PM
First Time Build
 
cuad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 95051, USA
Posts: 2,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
To the OP,

You were using a Zalman. I had one of those mics before, and they are crap. You were right to get a new microphone. The posters in this thread were right to recommend a USB microphone since they're the most cost-effective option. All microphones that sit on your desk are going to pick up annoying thuds from your keyboard. One thing you can try is adding a shockmount to your set up. Shockmounts are designed for these circumstances, so they should work, but I can't guarantee it since I've never tried one.

You say you bought the snowball from Best Buy, so I'm assuming it cost you $70. Amazon sells the shockmount for that microphone for $40. It has some awful reviews though. :/

This set up here has a similar price but better ratings. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C01USBPak

cuad is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off