Double-check before I buy - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-13-2015, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
After going through the stickies and doing some research I think my best option for my price range (~$500) is:

Grado Prestige Series SR225e
Modi 2
Magni 2

But I just wanted to check a few things to make sure i'm making the correct purchases.

My setup is for gaming and music, I mostly listen to rock/metal and the consensus seems to the the Grado's are the best for that. But opinions seem to vary with the Grado's for gaming, some say they're great while others prefer different headphones. Also, many reviews have said the Grado's can get uncomfortable after long uses and recommended to buy a different headband.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Database Developer

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxer View Post

After going through the stickies and doing some research I think my best option for my price range (~$500) is:

Modi 2
Magni 2

But I just wanted to check a few things to make sure i'm making the correct purchases.

My setup is for gaming and music, I mostly listen to rock/metal and the consensus seems to the the Grado's are the best for that. But opinions seem to vary with the Grado's for gaming, some say they're great while others prefer different headphones. Also, many reviews have said the Grado's can get uncomfortable after long uses and recommended to buy a different headband.

Definitely get a better headband. Look into Turbulent Labs for one. I have one and I absolutely love it. Miles better than stock.

What gaming are you wanting to do? It's worth it to note that the Schiit stack you have listed will not have any sort of multi-channel output (Dolby Surround, Dolby Headphone, etc). If directional audio is important to your gaming, consider getting a sound card as well and using that for gaming and your M+M stack for music.

Grado comfort is subjective. The foam they use for the pads is stiff at first and can be scratchy, plus they're on ear rather than over ear like a lot of gaming headphones. If you're used to a gaming headphone, you may not like them at first but give them a chance.

Also, not sure where you are located but check the Grado website for their dealer's locations near you. If there's one within a reasonable distance, go there and see if you can try them out. Even spending 15 minutes with them will give you an initial impression of the feel and sound quality (bring some of the music you normally listen to). Then you can decide for yourself if the Grados are something you want. This is what I did when I bought mine a couple years ago.

post-flame-small.gifOCN Headphone Clubpost-flame-small.gif
"Because perfect hair is overrated"
post #3 of 3 Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxer View Post

Modi 2
Magni 2

I have the SR225i's in my collection and the e's sound even better IMO. Are they uncomfortable? Yes. I mean, not horribly so, but compared to my Hifiman HE400i that disappear onto my head, yes. Do they sound good for the money? Absolutely!!

Grado, particularly in the low to mid range, makes UGLY and cheap looking headphones. We buy them for the sound, not for the looks. They will sound great with the Magni/Modi combo.

Are they great for gaming? Not bad, actually. I've used them for gaming and I thought it sounded pretty great. Having said that I'm not really a big positional audio guy because I'm not a hardcore gamer. You can, however download the Razer surround software for free and get your gaming surround that way.

The Schiit Stack will give you almost unmatched performance for $200. You might want to consider the Uber versions for even better sound.

Also, if you have really good integrated audio on your board, or a decent soundcard like a Xonar ST/STX/STX2 or pretty much any CMI8788 based card, or even a well implemented integrated ALC1150 or Creative soundcore, you might want to JUST get the amp at first to save some money. Another alternative setup is to ditch the schiit DAC and pick up an audioquest dragonfly 1.2 (same price as the uber Schiit DAC) which many people agree sounds better, and you save the cost of a USB cable. You'll want a TRS to RCA cable for the Dragonfly.

Honestly I dont think you can go wrong with the schiit amp and the 225s. Buy with confidence.

Corsair 500R
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme P67 B3
i7 2600K @ 4.8Ghz
2x4GB Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
WD Velociraptor 150GB
Intel 510 120GB
ASUS Direct CuII GTX 580 1.5GB
Corsair HX850
Corsair 500R
Also C2D system, ipad 2, HP laptop

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version