New Sound card or new speakers? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Okay, so I have enough money to upgrade either my current speakers which are logitechs x-230 to logitech z-5300 or i can get a sound card like the x-fi xtreme gamer/music. Which should I get for better sound quality?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 06:28 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 17
Sound card. Wish I had an x-fi still, but my last one asploded with my computer. I decided to direct my funds toward more useful parts (better graphics card and CPU) for my new system, considering I'm only in high school and I have to pay for all my computer stuff myself.

Anyway, when I had that sound card, I experience a glorious orgasm every single time I opened up itunes, and I think you would too.

Get the sound card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelabove
Verbal warfare is 50% of CSS. The other 50% is shooting your gun and getting angry when you die.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 1
In my opinion don't even think about buying logitech speakers, first of all the bass sounds really weird on all logitech newer speakers like it's stuck in the box i tested them in the shop and compared to a serenity 2.1 set which i also bought. the logitechs bass were really bad sounding, but after all i would also suggest you to buy the soundcard. also it gives you a little boost in games, yes its minor but still is there. and the sound is really, really, really good so go with the soundcard! planning to buy myself one soon.

Proud to be Estonian!
AMD Radeon HD 69xx Owners Club

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 136
Seeing as he's running a reasonably powerful rig. i think a new soundcard wont improve his performance.

I'd recommend speakers. Creative's gigawork T40's are awsome.

Least this way you'll immediately notice sound improvement. whereas if you just buy a new soundcard, the sound quality is limited by your current speakers.

Stay outta my shed
post #5 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Aren't the T40's 2.0? I would like to get at least something 5.1 for the costs of the T40. Are they really "THAT" great? 125 for a pair of 2.0 speakers doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

post #6 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 07:49 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 110
Well here is my 2c , follows the logic that :turd: speakers sound like :turd: even hooked
up to the best soundcard, focus on speakers they are the part which will give you the
most noticable improvment in sound. Also why get a 5.1 or 7.1 HDA card when your
running 2.1 speakers ??
tkl.hui likes this.

I am not down with the "standard".
This man did not do what every other man did!
gunner2.gif. proof.gif

post #7 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 08:02 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkl.hui View Post
Aren't the T40's 2.0? I would like to get at least something 5.1 for the costs of the T40. Are they really "THAT" great? 125 for a pair of 2.0 speakers doesn't seem like a good deal to me.
i run T40's as front, T20's as rear, and T10's as center.

Ive not got any regrets. only an empty wallet .

Stay outta my shed
post #8 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCooki33 View Post
In my opinion don't even think about buying logitech speakers, first of all the bass sounds really weird on all logitech newer speakers like it's stuck in the box i tested them in the shop and compared to a serenity 2.1 set which i also bought. the logitechs bass were really bad sounding, but after all i would also suggest you to buy the soundcard. also it gives you a little boost in games, yes its minor but still is there. and the sound is really, really, really good so go with the soundcard! planning to buy myself one soon.
HUH? Which speakers did you listen to? z55's give good lows and great highs in bass imo. Them with a good soundcard= a nice setup.
Btw as everyone else suggested upgrade the speakers first. will make a huge diff right away.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Audiophile

Liked: 71
A sound card will give you better quality but investing on a card like X-Fi wont make the sound quality that good with the logitech x-230 you have.......Xtreme Gamer will cost about 65$.....you will get only about 10$ worth of the card!

On the other hand buying the Z5300 will give you more bass,surround and a lot more.....

I say go for the speakers!
tkl.hui likes this.

:::Creative Sound Blaster Timeline:::X-Ram:::The Difference Between CA20K1(X-Fi APU) And Everything Else!

92% of ppl have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

post #10 of 24 Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

thanks guys, speakers it is Now im wondering, is there any diff between the z-5300 or the g51s? they are about the same price and seem pretty similar.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page