post #211 of 471 Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 AM
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubwub View Post
Does anybody know any other alternatives to the Plantronics Audio Switcher?
Also interested in this. Discontinued everywhere ;(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 471 Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 6
The OP mentions avoiding 5.1 headphones with 5 drivers (didn't know there was such a thing?), but what about headphones that use HRTF (head-related transfer function) technology? The only ones that I know of are Razer Megalodon, although I am sure there must be others. Anyone have an opinion on HRTF technology in general? I find it very interesting and am curious how well it actually works.

post #213 of 471 Old 03-17-2010, 02:56 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 53
HRTF isn't a technology. it's just the name for how we can perceive sound in a 3d spacing due to delays and things. It's not a technology, it's just a science. So stereo headphones, and stereo headphones using DH technology, retain HRTF, while discrete 5.1 systems don't retain it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 471 Old 03-17-2010, 03:05 PM
1.3ghz

Sorry I don't know what you mean by DH technology? What makes HRTF not a technology? Surely if you apply a science to a working product it becomes a technology?

My understanding of these headphones are that they take a L/R audio signal, and process them through however many (five?) HRTF functions before merging these signals and delivering the sound through two speakers. The modification of the sound through these functions gives the effect of different speaker positions.

Am I misinformed? Do such headphones not exist?

post #215 of 471 Old 03-17-2010, 03:19 PM
1.3ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDUK View Post
Sorry I don't know what you mean by DH technology? What makes HRTF not a technology? Surely if you apply a science to a working product it becomes a technology?

My understanding of these headphones are that they take a L/R audio signal, and process them through however many (five?) HRTF functions before merging these signals and delivering the sound through two speakers. The modification of the sound through these functions gives the effect of different speaker positions.

Am I misinformed? Do such headphones not exist?
that's what the DH(Dolby Headphone) technology does. It processes a 5.1 signal in a series of algorithms to create delays in 2 speaker headphones to make it sound like a surround sound headphone. That's what the megadolon has. But HRTF is honestly found in every stereo headphone, so just because one manufacturer talks about it doesn't make it a technology.

post #216 of 471 Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 PM
1.3ghz

So is there software than can do it on the PC end?

post #217 of 471 Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Programmer

Liked: 36
Quote:
So is there software than can do it on the PC end?
Many sound cards are capable of doing this. This is where you get EAX and other stuff, which can simulate 3d over 2 channels.

post #218 of 471 Old 03-18-2010, 12:20 PM
1.3ghz

I was under the impression that EAX has nothing to do with positional audio but just atmospheric sound effects to create a more realistic setting? What I would really like is a piece of software that you run, you say I want these speakers (emulated) here, here, here etc; and then it processes the two channel sound to create the effect. Obviously this would only work on headphones. Is there such a thing? If not, maybe I'll write it.

post #219 of 471 Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 PM
1.3ghz

Quote:
I was under the impression that EAX has nothing to do with positional audio but just atmospheric sound effects to create a more realistic setting? What I would really like is a piece of software that you run, you say I want these speakers (emulated) here, here, here etc; and then it processes the two channel sound to create the effect. Obviously this would only work on headphones. Is there such a thing? If not, maybe I'll write it.
I have no idea of what you're talking about. I've seen a Foobar plugin where you can turn songs into virtual 5.1 for your stereo headphones. And USB soundcards, and other additional soundcards, posess virtual surround sound decoders in them...

post #220 of 471 Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
I just bought the Asus G73JH notebook and love it. But the sound coming from the 2 speakers are crap. I want to get 5.1 or even 7.1 but want to know what I might need. I was told to buy these (either one) Sound blaster USB or SIG USB 7.1

But my other question is if I bought one of those, how will I get the full 5.1 from a regular headset like the AKG 701

My thing is this: I just want to play online games and know where I am getting shot from, the whole reason for my need for 5.1 or 7.1

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page