OCN Speaker Club - Page 267 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #2661 of 3866 Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
here's a pic of my first (proper) speakers setup.

H0jSG.jpg

Genelec 8030A

i've got a new DAC and some and table stands coming tomorrow specool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2662 of 3866 Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by elzhi View Post

here's a pic of my first (proper) speakers setup.

H0jSG.jpg

Genelec 8030A

i've got a new DAC and some and table stands coming tomorrow specool.gif

Fantastic monitors - the whole 80xx series are some of my favorites to mix on. thumb.gif

post-flame-small.gifKeep the standards high and the noise low. Do YOU have quality content?post-flame-small.gif

Can't get enough of Overclock.net? Keep up with us on Facebook!

For any time-sensitive issues, or anything pertaining to our business operations, email is a far better way to contact me than PM. Please remember you can contact any staff member via email to their username @overclocked.net.

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #2663 of 3866 Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 12
Took long enough, but I finally decided to get myself real speakers in addition to my headphones.

M-Audio AV 40

154.jpg

155.jpg

Just to compare, I used to operate on this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/RaRiZaRd/Xynapse/146.jpg

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2664 of 3866 Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 254
nice. once you get some decent audio you can never go back to "lower quality" audio.thumb.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #2665 of 3866 Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Audiophile

Liked: 68
That is true. I went from some crappy labtec 2.1 pc speakers to cambridge audio FPS1600 4.1 pc speaker set (the satellites on these are fantastic btw) to Z-5500 and then I moved to proper audio. Bought the Olavi Räsänen 5.0 speaker set and Pioneer VSX-519. Then I got the Audio Pro Sub B1.20. Then sold the 5.0 set, bought a pair of Diamond 10.2's.
Recent upgrade was to sell the Pioneer and I bought the Lepai TA2020A+ mini amp, what a fantastic little amp.
Right now I'm only using the Wharfe's, I'm using the sub as a leg rest lol.
Next thing for me is to buy a proper sound card and some rca cables and figure out the proper set up so I can use the sub as well.

I'm thinking sound card -> sub in -> sub handles crossover -> sub out -> amp in -> Wharfe's.
How about that? Volume control would be a tad awkward though..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
post #2666 of 3866 Old 05-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfig View Post

nice. once you get some decent audio you can never go back to "lower quality" audio.thumb.gif

I prefer headphones but I know it won't be enough in some situations.

I actually started with this HUGE hand-me-down AIWA set that, now in retrospect, was the bassiest thing in the world. I was satisfied with it and I used it until space became an issue so I had to get rid of it. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL3FIsPnflI

At that time I got my ATH AD700 headphones which were great, then summer came and it became too hot to wear the headphones for hours at a time. I then used a pair of tinny Logitech S120 speakers that my friend had for no reason at all (he doesn't even want to take them back anymore). I couldn't stand how terrible it was in terms of sound quality and cable clutter. So then I moved to the single Siig sphere speaker, which was tremendously better and cleaner than the Logitech pair, but still wasn't good enough and only served the purpose of holding me over until I found better speakers.

So a little bit of research and patience led me to these amazing entry-level M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 speakers. I think i found the ideal set for my rig. So you're right. I'm never going back to lower quality computer speakers. Now my sound card can do me some good when I'm not wearing my headphones.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #2667 of 3866 Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Retired Staff

Liked: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfig View Post

I actually started with this HUGE hand-me-down AIWA set that, now in retrospect, was the bassiest thing in the world. I was satisfied with it and I used it until space became an issue so I had to get rid of it. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL3FIsPnflI

At that time I got my ATH AD700 headphones which were great, then summer came and it became too hot to wear the headphones for hours at a time. I then used a pair of tinny Logitech S120 speakers that my friend had for no reason at all (he doesn't even want to take them back anymore). I couldn't stand how terrible it was in terms of sound quality and cable clutter. So then I moved to the single Siig sphere speaker, which was tremendously better and cleaner than the Logitech pair, but still wasn't good enough and only served the purpose of holding me over until I found better speakers.

So a little bit of research and patience led me to these amazing entry-level M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 speakers. I think i found the ideal set for my rig. So you're right. I'm never going back to lower quality computer speakers. Now my sound card can do me justice when I'm not wearing my headphones.

Wait wait wait a second here, those Aiwa bookshelf speakers are "huge" to you? ninja.gif

Funny Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian 
...I just ran in and... started ripping off the clothes I had on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom 
A GTX 580 is like a bear. AA or "small bunnies" don't really hurt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolio831 
Syrillian - Heroes get remembered, but legends never die!
How To: Install Car Audio to a PC Power Supply
¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇ
♫The♪Official♪Car♪Stereo♪Club♫
Pioneerisloud's 92 Prelude Si Build Log!!!!

3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #2668 of 3866 Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

Wait wait wait a second here, those Aiwa bookshelf speakers are "huge" to you? ninja.gif

Floor space. That's one of the reasons why I thought they were huge. It was only 2 inches away from my door at one point, and I didn't have the capability to position the 5 speakers properly so it ended up being a waste. It now resides in my brother's room where it serves better purpose.

And that was the biggest speaker set I've had to date so I don't really know what defines "huge".

post #2669 of 3866 Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 160
Quote:

Floor space. That's one of the reasons why I thought they were huge. It was only 2 inches away from my door at one point, and I didn't have the capability to position the 5 speakers properly so it ended up being a waste. It now resides in my brother's room where it serves better purpose.
And that was the biggest speaker set I've had to date so I don't really know what defines "huge".

Floorstanders from the '60s and '70s used as large as 15'' woofers. That should give you a reference tongue.gif.

And yes I know there are much bigger speakers out there so don't jump down my throat with exceptions lol.

[Project] Reborn Legacy *Completed 6/13*

cool.gifHD202/Closed cirumaural mod cool.gif

RADEON::Ok, leaving now...
post #2670 of 3866 Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Retired Staff

Liked: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoey1500 View Post

Quote:

Floorstanders from the '60s and '70s used as large as 15'' woofers. That should give you a reference tongue.gif.

And yes I know there are much bigger speakers out there so don't jump down my throat with exceptions lol.

My fronts are about 14" x 14" at the base, and about 5 feet tall. smile.gif That's two pairs of 12" towers though, so I guess that's kind of cheating huh? tongue.gif

Funny Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian 
...I just ran in and... started ripping off the clothes I had on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom 
A GTX 580 is like a bear. AA or "small bunnies" don't really hurt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolio831 
Syrillian - Heroes get remembered, but legends never die!
How To: Install Car Audio to a PC Power Supply
¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇ
♫The♪Official♪Car♪Stereo♪Club♫
Pioneerisloud's 92 Prelude Si Build Log!!!!

3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page