post #1461 of 38805 Old 01-05-2008, 08:28 PM
audio aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
Whats the cost? What price of the headphones makes it a waste of time? $50 and lower I guess?
who said anything about waste of time? I can understand not wanting to spend loads of money on a cheap pair of cans, but a good pair of cans can easily double in price after mods and upgrades.

For example my wife can't stand clip-ons so I modded a pair of Koss ksc75's for her. I took the housing from a pair of Sony VR150 (or something like that) and modded them, keeping the open design of the ksc75's by making the Sony housings open, then adding a SPC cable. Total into the mod is more than double the cost of a stock pair of ksc75's, but they are more practical, comfortable and sound better, so was that a waste of time?

When I owned a pair of AKG k81dj's I gave them a better cable. The headphones cost $70 and between the cable and install fee (I did it myself so actual cost is less) that added about another $70 to the price.

The pair of Beyer DT770 Pro/80's that I had and modded looked something like this:
Beyer 770 pro/80: $200
leather pads: $65
cable: $125
And that was just the materials, not the labor put into the cans, but when I was done with them the cans were amazing and the best gaming headphones I have ever heard, and very, very good at electronic music, even better than the ATH cans costing more that I've heard.

My current pair of Senn HD580's have Hd600 grills and a $200 cable, but they sound amazing

It just really comes down to how much you are willing to spend, and how good of ears and gear you have. Sometimes the extra money is well worth it, and other times there is very little difference. If you can do the mods and/or solder you can save a lot of money by buying a pre-built cable and installing it yourself or building a cable yourself. Having someone build and install a cable is when it gets expensive because you are paying for the materials, labor to build the cable and then the labor to install the cable on your cans.

If you have a good source and amp then cables can be a very real way to better your system, but they are the last 10% of a system in bringing it all together.

Personally, where my systems are at: My speakers/headphones, amps and cables are all top notch, it is my sources that need to be upgraded. I'll have an excellent vinyl setup very soon, and will be saving for a new digital source

Current Sound: ODAC > SA Reference IC > Musical Paradise MP-301 6v6 tube amp> Tekton Designs 4.1 loudspeakers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1462 of 38805 Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
I've thought the same thing ...

And in fact, when using the Xm4 with my Zen Vision M, I do use a pure line-out ...

But for the life of me ... I don't think the X-fi Elite Pro offers an unamped line-out (miniplug) ... (can anyone enlighten me?).

That said ... the OPAMP in the breakout box really doesn't perform that bad ... little bright for my liking (which is why I'm switching it out).

When I get a decent desktop amp, I'll be going line-out from the optical and so things will sound better I'm sure ...
Interesting, that is strange that the X-Fi does not offer a line-out in the breakout box. I suppose you'd have to come out of the back of the card (the same way you would hook into an external speaker amp etc). If you came out from the back of the PCI card, I wonder if you would experience any better sound (albeit loss of connection to your speakers which is probably not a very realistic use case).

I will say however that no matter what connection you use, driving headphones (esp higher impedance and lower sensitivity cans) with a real HP amp is FTW.

post #1463 of 38805 Old 01-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Most beautiful smile in the world

Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
who said anything about waste of time? I can understand not wanting to spend loads of money on a cheap pair of cans, but a good pair of cans can easily double in price after mods and upgrades.

For example my wife can't stand clip-ons so I modded a pair of Koss ksc75's for her. I took the housing from a pair of Sony VR150 (or something like that) and modded them, keeping the open design of the ksc75's by making the Sony housings open, then adding a SPC cable. Total into the mod is more than double the cost of a stock pair of ksc75's, but they are more practical, comfortable and sound better, so was that a waste of time?

When I owned a pair of AKG k81dj's I gave them a better cable. The headphones cost $70 and between the cable and install fee (I did it myself so actual cost is less) that added about another $70 to the price.

The pair of Beyer DT770 Pro/80's that I had and modded looked something like this:
Beyer 770 pro/80: $200
leather pads: $65
cable: $125
And that was just the materials, not the labor put into the cans, but when I was done with them the cans were amazing and the best gaming headphones I have ever heard, and very, very good at electronic music, even better than the ATH cans costing more that I've heard.

My current pair of Senn HD580's have Hd600 grills and a $200 cable, but they sound amazing

It just really comes down to how much you are willing to spend, and how good of ears and gear you have. Sometimes the extra money is well worth it, and other times there is very little difference. If you can do the mods and/or solder you can save a lot of money by buying a pre-built cable and installing it yourself or building a cable yourself. Having someone build and install a cable is when it gets expensive because you are paying for the materials, labor to build the cable and then the labor to install the cable on your cans.

If you have a good source and amp then cables can be a very real way to better your system, but they are the last 10% of a system in bringing it all together.

Personally, where my systems are at: My speakers/headphones, amps and cables are all top notch, it is my sources that need to be upgraded. I'll have an excellent vinyl setup very soon, and will be saving for a new digital source
I was saying that cabling something like my HD201's would be a waste...dont you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata Izumi go_quote.gif
they have the features of real women, close enough!

I Was An OCN Radio Host!
Play Paintball? Talk about it here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1464 of 38805 Old 01-05-2008, 09:03 PM
audio aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
I was saying that cabling something like my HD201's would be a waste...dont you agree?
not necessarily. It might be a fun experiment

Current Sound: ODAC > SA Reference IC > Musical Paradise MP-301 6v6 tube amp> Tekton Designs 4.1 loudspeakers

post #1465 of 38805 Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Most beautiful smile in the world

Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
not necessarily. It might be a fun experiment
Well, I have hella good soldering skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata Izumi go_quote.gif
they have the features of real women, close enough!

I Was An OCN Radio Host!
Play Paintball? Talk about it here!
post #1466 of 38805 Old 01-06-2008, 03:10 AM
333mhz

Liked: 5
Ill join! AKG 701

post #1467 of 38805 Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 AM
BAUSS

Liked: 305
It's safe to remove the Bose from my name now, I just sold them to fund my new case.
post #1468 of 38805 Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 AM
audio aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearCrap View Post
It's safe to remove the Bose from my name now, I just sold them to fund my new case.
great choice!

post #1469 of 38805 Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
sk8 d1tches!

Liked: 627
Anyone ever listened to the Chesky Audiophile demonstration discs?

I'm listening to this one at the moment: Chesky

It's an incredible CD. The track "Spanish Harlem" alone is worth the price.

It came with some of my roommates equipment ... don't know which piece .. but man does it have some sweet tracks.

Just a friendly little FYI.

(Oh yeah the 595's keep sounding better and better ... bit on the bright side (reminds me of the DT880's) .. but overall I'm digging them)

post #1470 of 38805 Old 01-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Audiophile

Liked: 1
I want in

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page