Forum Jump: 

post #4701 of 38807 Old 10-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Gah... The 0404 I'd been watching on fleabay is no longer available BIN.... :/

post-flame-small.gifKeep the standards high and the noise low. Do YOU have quality content?post-flame-small.gif

Can't get enough of Overclock.net? Keep up with us on Facebook!

For any time-sensitive issues, or anything pertaining to our business operations, email is a far better way to contact me than PM. Please remember you can contact any staff member via email to their username @overclocked.net.

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4702 of 38807 Old 10-19-2008, 03:37 PM
sk8 d1tches!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Some fun and interesting commentary on the origin of Bendix "Red Bank" tubes:

1. Intro
The fact is this: many NOS tubes have developed cult followings, because of the efforts of gurus to hype these tubes into godhood. Usually the tubes in question deserve the good reputation, especially given the poor quality of current Chinese tubes. So, consumers are exhorted to search out Tung-Sol 6550s, and Western Electric 300Bs, and Telefunken smooth-plate ECC83s, and a few other things. This has driven the prices of the things to outrageous levels.

There is a brand of tube that you have not heard of. It was introduced in the early 1950s, and was bought by virtually only one customer: the U.S. military. A few of the tube types this company made were commonly used in the electronics in early ICBM warheads. These tubes were used in missiles because they were the most rugged, overdesigned and extravagant tubes available. Their primary reason for existing was because the U.S. Air Force wanted super-tough tubes for use in missiles and avionics, in a steady supply. To win the Cold War, of course.

The identity of this mystery tube maker is so unexpected that tube "experts" will probably joke about it. But the fact is: these super-tubes were made by an obscure division of Bendix Aviation Corporation. The plant in which they were made was called Bendix Red Bank Division, Eatontown, New Jersey. Thus, they are called Red Bank tubes. Even though they were second-sourced by Tung-Sol and, later, Cetron, the "Red Bank" name sticks to all the special types in this series. You guitarists know what else was made in the Red Bank/Eatontown area.....yes, Danelectro guitars and amps. No doubt the Danelectro engineer knew about the Bendixes, but didn't dare specify such expensive tubes for guitar amps.

You have to look a bit askance at "tube experts" who try to tell you what the "best" tubes are. They are biased in favor of something, often something they themselves have a few hundred of, hidden in a closet. All bets are off when you bring up Red Bank tubes, because they ARE the best ever made- from the standpoint of reliability, consistency and physical toughness. And as far as I know, NOBODY is hoarding Red Bank tubes, certainly not like 300Bs or Tung-Sol 5881s. And please don't wave those cute RCA "Special Red" things at me. Good they may be, but next to Bendix Red Banks they seem like pale imitations.

Red Banks were NEVER used in audio equipment. All of them were originally versions of some commercial prototype, but usually used a nonstandard base pinout. In the advertisement shown here, most of the types available in 1955 are shown. Note the many versions of the 6X5 rectifer, but the few signal or power types. So, no equipment known is wired for them, except possibly some scrapped ballistic-missile assemblies rusting in a junkyard somewhere.

Those few types usable for audio-the 5992 beam tube, 6094 beam tube, 6384 beam tube, 6385 and 6900 dual medium-mu triodes-can be retrofitted to guitar amps and high-end equipment, by rewiring the sockets. I was able to borrow some from John Atwood for the tests below (many thanks, John).

Complete article, here:

http://www.vacuumtube.com/issue5.htm

post #4703 of 38807 Old 10-20-2008, 08:06 AM
the doctor

Liked: 399
After a small fiasco, my Little-Dot should be operational in about 3 days.
The stock tubes were ran on the EF92 setting and the tubes are now worn. Thanks to David over at Little-Dot, we figured it out [with Prickly Petes help too!]. My custom cable comes in today [LOD to RCA], my HD580's come in Thursday-ish, along with my new stock tubes I picked up and 6C6Q tubes Tyler's being kind enough to send me :]!!!!

Ahhh, the waits gonna kill me. Again.

Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4704 of 38807 Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Back From The Dead

Liked: 701
Senn's backordered on both HD600 drivers and HD650 cables. :'(

20110813 - RIP

Take me out into the black, tell them I ain't coming back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
post #4705 of 38807 Old 10-20-2008, 08:21 AM
the doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrac View Post
Senn's backordered on both HD600 drivers and HD650 cables. :'(
Let me see if I can work something out for you.

post #4706 of 38807 Old 10-20-2008, 08:23 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 46
I've got both the Plantronics Gamecom (I love it, great deal) and Creative Fatl1ty (more comfortable, perhaps slightly better sound, but much worse mic and it keeps breaking)

I'm looking at Sennheiser or Denon in the not-so-distant future, though. If I don't blow my audio budget on a set of Z5500s

Software Libre: Because real men don't have to pay for it.
post #4707 of 38807 Old 10-20-2008, 09:06 AM
the doctor

DOES ANYONE KNOW MATTS [Namrac's] ADDRESS!?!?!? PM IT TO ME QUICKLY!

post #4708 of 38807 Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Back From The Dead

Liked: 701
Scratch that, taken care of.

20110813 - RIP

Take me out into the black, tell them I ain't coming back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
post #4709 of 38807 Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
The tube in question is the tube in the middle (the one at far right has the standard Bendix logo on it while the one in the middle features a logo I've never seen before):

He is trying to sell me the tube on the left. He does not know if it is an actual Bendix 6385 tube. I can't decide. It is a good price if it is a Bendix, but he said after he tried them out that the tube on the left sounded somewhat "different."

I might just hold out for a military boxed 6385 even though I might pay a little bit more for it.

10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #4710 of 38807 Old 10-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Audio is Kewl

Liked: 110
The Moth is now in Illinois. Should be at my house on Thursday, and at my dorm on Friday. Starting to get antsy .

Angels on the sideline / Puzzled and amused / Why did Father give these humans free will? / Now they're all confused

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page