Well it's been a while - I was busy working on my new website, the CaseLabs Merlin Preview, Spotswood Tech Station Review, the EK X3 Reservoir Preview, figuring out my new Nikon D5100 as well as finishing off the CPU Water Block roundup. I need a break but I'm almost done with all of that! Anyway - to celebrate not being fired yet I thought I'd work (finally) on the waterfall reservoir. This was originally inspired by Cyberdruid, however as he's retired I figured I'd have to make my own, and I suppose that's more fun anyway. I knew I would need a few attempts at this to get it right so I figured I'd make the prototypes out of MDF as it's cheap and easy to work with. So I went to the hardware and picked up a small board of MDF:
Dragged out my lonely tablesaw from the shed and got to work. I cut some 3x 3" strips of the 4ft side of the board:
I then measured the height of the 18 bays in the case and made the cut on one strip:
Then I test fitted in the case which meant undressing the drive bays!
Alright let's take that cover off:
Well that was fast, ok, drive bays next:
Resting the wood on the bottom of the drive bay gives me this much clearance which is about perfect:
So I cut the other side to the same size. Then measured and cut the top piece:
It's ok for both these pieces to be flush because they'll be some kind of joinery action going down. For now I'm thinking a finger joint. Maintaining strength while being able to knock it out on the table saw. I then cut a matching piece for the base so that all the frame pieces were cut:
I then started cutting the pieces that would form the waterfall itself:
Tablesaws make this quick. All done, sitting on the uncut acrylic sheet that will make up the front and back:
That's it for now!