2 OCZ Vertex/Agility 3 120GB or 4 Intel 4 320 series 120/160GB in Raid 0? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-25-2011, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The price for each setup is about the same, except 2 Vertex 3's are the most expensive ones.

Yes, there would be more storage from the 4 Intel SSDs, but which would offer more performance?

Which would you objectively choose, and why?

Thanks a lot for the all the help guys. This choice is too touch for me to make with the current information I have available to me right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Liked: 0
Definitely Intel - they now support TRIM for Raid 0 arrays. After having two different Indilinx SSDs go on me, I've decided to take advantage of the great rebates on the Intel drives today $120 MIR (for 160GB). Can't beat the 5 year warranty Intel offers on them either.

As for performance, depends what you're doing...
post #3 of 3 Old 11-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 11
Send a message via AIM to lynnperformance
I've been struggling with a similar question and this is what I have come up with:

I would go with the OCZ Vertex 3 in RAID. The major consideration of that is the core performance speed. From what I have read online, its demonstrable speed seems to be the highest at this price point. As for considering TRIM, TRIM is least effective among smaller drive. What it essentially is is a fancy form of Defragmentation, which can be performed by the user. Finally, you can get two OCZ Vertex 3 120g drives for $169 - rebate on NewEgg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

This is in contrast with the Intel 320 series at 120g. Those are 129.99 with rebate. The biggest noticable difference is the sustained write and read speeds. The OCZ is (specwise) twice as fast.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167050

At this point its your call.

P.S. They both have Sata 6Gbps So transfer speeds are identical as far as I know. I just realized that was super wrong. The Intel 320 is only Sata II. Taking that into account, I wouldn't even consider it, if money isn't an issue. Also, Raid 0 in 4 drives? I don't think that very practical. Raid 0 is only effective at 2 drives. If you want 4 drives, you should try Raid 7 with redundancy. Still, that means you gotta consider the space in your rig too.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page