post #1441 of 2376 Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Both are similar.
Doesn't really matter. The only thing you need to be concerned about in Windows XP is the partition alignment. XP aligns partitions wrongly.

Thanks man really.

If you confirm that M5S will not be much much better for XP, than S830, then samsung 830 would be the final choice.

And is there any way that I can use XP with ssds - without any problem of -

a) ALIGNMENT (which I remember to have read effects the speed of the ssd - when being used in that OS)
+
b) trimming issue. or any other issue (not commonly known for XP usage with ssds)

I mean any manual procedure of tweaking - or any software (even paid) that's well known and best for ssds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2376 Old 10-30-2012, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Liked: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGem View Post

Quote:

Both are similar.
Doesn't really matter. The only thing you need to be concerned about in Windows XP is the partition alignment. XP aligns partitions wrongly.

Thanks man really.

If you confirm that M5S will not be much much better for XP, than S830, then samsung 830 would be the final choice.
Yea, not much difference.
Quote:
And is there any way that I can use XP with ssds - without any problem of -

a) ALIGNMENT (which I remember to have read effects the speed of the ssd - when being used in that OS)
+
You can manually align. I don't ahve a guide off hand so just google for it.
Quote:
b) trimming issue. or any other issue (not commonly known for XP usage with ssds)

I mean any manual procedure of tweaking - or any software (even paid) that's well known and best for ssds.
Samsungs software should allow you to be able to manaully run TRIM in XP i believe.

I AM THE SSD BENCHMARK GURU
Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi go_quote.gif

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

(/ .□.)\ ︵╰(°Д°)╯︵ /(.□. \)

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #1443 of 2376 Old 10-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 106
is there a place i can buy those 7mm to 9.5mm shimmys? i know they come with some drives but i have a 7mm drive and want it to fit snug in a 9.5mm bay

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 2376 Old 10-31-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindsay View Post

is there a place i can buy those 7mm to 9.5mm shimmys? i know they come with some drives but i have a 7mm drive and want it to fit snug in a 9.5mm bay
Fold up some paper. smile.gif

Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

post #1445 of 2376 Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 AM

Liked: 0
Thanks sean for your guidance.
post #1446 of 2376 Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Networking Nut

Liked: 134
Pretty good deal here... Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

$164 after promo code.

It's Toshiba toggle NAND and SF driven. good combo

Official Delidded Crewman
The Ivy STABLE Club
Nvida GTX960 Owners Club
Raspberry Pi Owners Club
I <3 Mechanical KeyboardCPU Journey (Click to show)
Celeron 333MHz > Pentium 4 2.4GHz > Athlon XP 2800+ > Athlon 64 3400+ > Athlon II X2 250 > Athlon II X4 640 > Phenom II X4 840 > i5 2500K > i7 3770K
post #1447 of 2376 Old 11-03-2012, 01:45 AM
First Time Build

Liked: 4
Sean, first thank you for everything you've done, you saved me countless hours of circlejerking.

Next, tonight I am booting up my build for the first time. I just wanted to ask your opinion on a few things:

(I have 2x Samsung 830 128gb drives+ 120gb Corsair force GT to work with)
  1. I am planning to run the 830's in Raid0. Is there any backup type configuration I can run in case of failure? What do you recommend the most
  2. I'm hearing mixed reviews about TRIM with Raid0 and X79, do you have the latest? Is it working? Anandtech was saying yes.
  3. I can always return the 830's, but I haven't really seen anything better, I know the 840's are out, but I read that they weren't really worth it @ current price point. Any recommendations here?
  4. Can I do the ATA erase before loading windows onto my system? Or do I have to perform the erase on a already loaded computer before installing into my new one?

Also wanted to check with you about CC cleaner. I like using this to clear up my temp files and such, is this ok to use with an SSD? I'm assuming the wiping utility that is paired with it is also bad to use, but not really sure. Thanks again.

Thanks so much. You are the man!

Cheers.
post #1448 of 2376 Old 11-03-2012, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballnuts View Post

Sean, first thank you for everything you've done, you saved me countless hours of circlejerking.

Next, tonight I am booting up my build for the first time. I just wanted to ask your opinion on a few things:

(I have 2x Samsung 830 128gb drives+ 120gb Corsair force GT to work with)
  1. I am planning to run the 830's in Raid0. Is there any backup type configuration I can run in case of failure? What do you recommend the most
Just have a system backup routine and you will be good.

www.overclock.net/t/1125994/seans-data-backup-guide

Quote:
[*] I'm hearing mixed reviews about TRIM with Raid0 and X79, do you have the latest? Is it working? Anandtech was saying yes.
Link to where anandtech says yes?
Quote:
[*] I can always return the 830's, but I haven't really seen anything better, I know the 840's are out, but I read that they weren't really worth it @ current price point. Any recommendations here?
Keep the 830s and don't overpay for a very small difference in performance. smile.gif
Quote:
[*] Can I do the ATA erase before loading windows onto my system? Or do I have to perform the erase on a already loaded computer before installing into my new one?
You dont need to do it at all...www.overclock.net/t/1227597/how-to-secure-erase-your-solid-state-drive-ssd-with-parted-magic#post_16684060

Quote:
Also wanted to check with you about CC cleaner. I like using this to clear up my temp files and such, is this ok to use with an SSD?
Yep, it's fine.
Quote:
I'm assuming the wiping utility that is paired with it is also bad to use, but not really sure. Thanks again.
Yea, don't use that on the SSDs.
Quote:
thumb.gif

Quote:

! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

post #1449 of 2376 Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 PM
First Time Build

Liked: 4
Quote:

Link to where anandtech says yes?
You dont need to do it at all...
Here is the link
http://www2.anandtech.com/show/6161/intel-brings-trim-to-raid0-ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

Also, I had read your thread and knew that I didn't need it, but was still curious if I needed to perform this on another computer, or if I could do it on my new build before installing win7.

So TRIM should work on my Raid0 config with X79 chipset? Still not 100% sure...

Thank you!
post #1450 of 2376 Old 11-03-2012, 01:02 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 295

The X79 isn't really considered a 7-series chipset board. It uses enterprise C600 chipset for storage.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page