post #421 of 2376 Old 04-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Audiophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Is Plextor a Chinese-owned company? I'm having second thoughts regarding their warranty based on my experience with other Chinese-owned companies.
Japanese and my guess is that helped them get a good deal on Toshiba Nand...

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 2376 Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 1
It's me again. rolleyes.gif

The 128gig Crucial M4 SSD's listed on NewEgg, they show five different models number with slightly different prices but pretty much the same specs.

If I were to choose a Crucial M4 drive which one of these should I choose and why?

I don't know anything about choosing a SSD. redface.gif
post #423 of 2376 Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Liked: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtley View Post

The 128gig Crucial M4 SSD's listed on NewEgg, they show five different models number with slightly different prices but pretty much the same specs.

If I were to choose a Crucial M4 drive which one of these should I choose and why?

Get the cheapest one, the cheapest is just a bare drive. with no mirroring software or 2.5" - 3.5" adapter, 1 set of the M4s is 7mm, etc.

Get this one: This one has the bracket adapter and is the same $ as the others without the adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148525

I AM THE SSD BENCHMARK GURU
Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi go_quote.gif

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

(/ .□.)\ ︵╰(°Д°)╯︵ /(.□. \)

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 2376 Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Audiophile

Liked: 297
Quote:

Other than accessories and varying physical sizes, they're all exactly the same. You should buy the least expensive one lol

post #425 of 2376 Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Get the cheapest one, the cheapest is just a bare drive. with no mirroring software or 2.5" - 3.5" adapter, 1 set of the M4s is 7mm, etc.
Get this one: This one has the bracket adapter and is the same $ as the others without the adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn84 View Post

Other than accessories and varying physical sizes, they're all exactly the same. You should buy the least expensive one lol

Interesting marketing!

I would want the one with the drive bay bracket as I've got plenty of empty bays.

It would be ok if imaging software came with it though. From what I gather my True Image version 11 doesn't work with SSD's.

I looked at windows 7 imaging and I don't like doing a "hot" image which it does.

I'll pick up a new copy of True Image.

Thanks for your help!
post #426 of 2376 Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote:

Interesting marketing!

I would want the one with the drive bay bracket as I've got plenty of empty bays.

It would be ok if imaging software came with it though. From what I gather my True Image version 11 doesn't work with SSD's.

I looked at windows 7 imaging and I don't like doing a "hot" image which it does.

I'll pick up a new copy of True Image.

Thanks for your help!
Can you explain to me what a hot image is? Not the dirty kind. tongue.gif

Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

post #427 of 2376 Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hot image! Lol! Several come to mind! thumb.gif

It's an old term I use to describe something that is on or hot for example the burner on your stove is hot when it is on and cold when off.

In the past one couldn't make a disk image while windows is hot or running due to locked files being used by windows at the time.

Hence most aftermarket imaging software come on a bootable disk which puts you in a DOS like environment to perform disk imaging among other things. Although newer versions do have a GUI to use like True image for example. With windows not running there's no locked files to contend with.

I imagine that windows 7 has a work around this now but still windows is running from what I've seen on YouTube videos of windows 7 imaging.

With the aftermarket imaging software you have the ability to omit certain files or folders from the image if you want like the pagefile.sys for example.

Granted I don't know enough about windows 7 imaging to appreciate its use as I've been on windows vista until a few months ago.

I am behind the times, a day late and a dollar short. Playing catch up now.
Sean Webster likes this.
post #428 of 2376 Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 54
Quote:

Granted I don't know enough about windows 7 imaging to appreciate its use as I've been on windows vista until a few months ago.

To true for everyone. Well most people! thumb.gif

If I had the money for the SSD, I would just do a fresh install, and import the stuff I needed. Would be simpler, at least for me.

Battlelog Profile (Add me!)
Heatware
Warning: Quote(s)! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin go_quote.gif

Oh well, least it will be able to run minecraft like a boss.
Blah. Blah. Blah. Who cares?

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #429 of 2376 Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote:

Hot image! Lol! Several come to mind! thumb.gif

It's an old term I use to describe something that is on or hot for example the burner on your stove is hot when it is on and cold when off.

In the past one couldn't make a disk image while windows is hot or running due to locked files being used by windows at the time.

Hence most aftermarket imaging software come on a bootable disk which puts you in a DOS like environment to perform disk imaging among other things. Although newer versions do have a GUI to use like True image for example. With windows not running there's no locked files to contend with.

I imagine that windows 7 has a work around this now but still windows is running from what I've seen on YouTube videos of windows 7 imaging.

With the aftermarket imaging software you have the ability to omit certain files or folders from the image if you want like the pagefile.sys for example.

Ah, thank you.

Personally I have had no issue with the Windows imaging tool, tho I am cheap and don't feel like buying software and testing it out so see what it is like lol. So I have no problem using a hot image.

And files like page file and hibernation file, you don't need to back up.

Does Acronis keep the partition offset alignment with the images? Because I set mine to 4k offset when I install and I know windows keeps the alignment properly 4K when I restore, but ToDo Backup does not when I use that. And I haven't tested Macrium Reflect free either.

Quote:

! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

post #430 of 2376 Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Ah, thank you.

Does Acronis keep the partition offset alignment with the images? Because I set mine to 4k offset when I install and I know windows keeps the alignment properly 4K when I restore, but ToDo Backup does not when I use that. And I haven't tested Macrium Reflect free either.

You're welcome!

The aligment with SSD's is presently greek to me but I gathered this info from the Acronis web page.

Solid State Drive Support in Acronis Products

Description:
The following Acronis products have full Solid State Drive (SSD) support:

Acronis Backup & Recovery 11
Acronis True Image Home 2011
Acronis True Image Home 2012
Acronis Disk Director 11 Home
All other Acronis products support Solid State Drives (SSD) with certain limitations:

You can perform all the same operations with SSDs as with regular hard disk drives;
There are no special partition alignment mechanisms required to keep the partitions offset which is optimal for SSD drives. In other words when you restore an image to an SSD drive, it will get the default 63 sectors offset instead of 64kb (or a multiple of 64kb) offset recommended for SSD drives even if this offset was in place when the image had been created. This may result in a drop of performance on certain models of SSD drives after the restore;
Support for SSD drives is also planned for the next version of the Acronis Backup & Recovery product line.

More information:
A multiple of 64kb (most commonly, 1024kb or 2048 sectors) is the recommended offset for SSD disks.

Full support details:
If you restore or clone a disk image to an SSD disk, the offset will be automatically set to the default 1024kb (2048 sectors).
If you restore a partition backup to a target empty partitioned disk (SSD), the target SSD disk will keep its original offset.

Does this information sound correct?

I'm not sure my version of True Image is supported as it's not listed above. But the statement saying all other Acronis products support SSD's.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page