Sean's SSD Buyers Guide & Information Thread - Page 90 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #891 of 2376 Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Overclocker
 
Jamar16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 2,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Can some one give me some personal experience on the Sandisk 240GB Extreme

WE HAVE THE 100M,200M & 4x100 WR! 9.58s,19.19s & 36.84s! I AM PROUD TO BE JAMAICAN!cheers.gif

Warning: QUOTE! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin go_quote.gif
When Jailbreaking both of my iPhones my iPhone 4 was like Usain Bolt and my iPhone 2G was like Gabe Newall.
Jamar16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #892 of 2376 Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
 
Sean Webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 20,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiCKiN View Post

I have no idea it will be coming in the mail this Friday but it's this one..

http://us-store.acer.com/product/acerproduct.aspx?prodid=257

I'm guessing it's the standard laptop drive size? I'm learning towards the Samsung tho, how are the Samsung controllers compared to crucials Marvell controllers?
Both are good. Can't go wrong with either, get cheaper of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzzy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

If you are wondering whether to get 1 large SSD or 2 or more smaller ones and RAID 0 them or just leave them as separate drives I suggest you simply get the single larger drive.

I am building a computer for recording and editing music. Ordinarily I would have (at least) 3 separate HDD's - one the OS, one where the music gets recorded to, and another one for various instrument sample libraries. From what I read in your (Sean's) guide an HDD still should be used for recording music. My question is about whether it is better to split the OS and the sample libraries between two separate 128GB SSD's or get a single 256 SSD (leaning towards Samsung for reliability at the moment).

In case you are not familiar with sample libraries, they are a bunch of relatively small wave files - the recordings of notes played on an instrument at different velocities (usually 128 per note). When a MIDI file plays a note the library sample gets triggered and plays that note in the selected instrument at the given velocity (and with whatever embellishments there may be). In other words the SSD with libraries would be written to once and from then on only played back. At the moment I have around 100 GB in libraries. Traditionally libraries are kept on a separate hard drive from the OS. I wonder if it's the best practice with SSD's.
I believe you would be set with a single drive. However, I like to have a separate drive for the OS data so in case of anything my personal files are separate and safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamar16 View Post

Can some one give me some personal experience on the Sandisk 240GB Extreme
Well, the company is great, the drive is one of the best SandForce drives out.

I AM THE SSD BENCHMARK GURU
Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi go_quote.gif

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

(/ .□.)\ ︵╰(°Д°)╯︵ /(.□. \)

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sean Webster is offline  
post #893 of 2376 Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Intel Overclocker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 6,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 107
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167086

I am TORN between these two and don't know which to pick?

Will have to do research which SSD has faster Benchmark and performance scores before i make my final decision. Glad this Labor Day sale is an advantage for me to get a bigger SSD.



At least i won't have to worry about running out of space for BF3 expansion in the future compared to my current 80gb SSD lol.

EDIT:

Turns out i think i decided to maybe get the Samsung after all because it has a extra space and they are both close same price. I think a little extra space is a nice deal. Also not to mention i read that you shouldn't use ACHI drivers for the newest 520 series cuz they have problems with it.

Besides Benchmarking is quite a little good than the Samsung but i think i'll have to research more to be sure if this is the BEST drive.

Can i still use the Intel TOOL for this? I don't know anything about Samsung and their SSD and updated firmware and more?

Too used to Intel.

DONATE IN HONOR OF SYRILLIAN
sneaky.gif: : The Official Corsair H50/H70/H100 Hydro Series Club : : sneaky.gif
78@pwnt4lif3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #894 of 2376 Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Gone
 
adridu59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 6,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Samsung 830 is slightly better and its a rock-solid drive. Samsung's Tool is called Samsung Magician. thumb.gif
78@pwnt4lif3 likes this.

OCN's Recommended: Power SuppliesAudio Products

~ Sig now ToS compliant
adridu59 is offline  
post #895 of 2376 Old 09-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Intel Overclocker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 6,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Thanks for the tip on the tool! I think Samsung is my first choice. Still a great deal since it's 256gb than 240 via INtel biggrin.gif

DONATE IN HONOR OF SYRILLIAN
sneaky.gif: : The Official Corsair H50/H70/H100 Hydro Series Club : : sneaky.gif
78@pwnt4lif3 is offline  
post #896 of 2376 Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
 
Sean Webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 20,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78@pwnt4lif3 View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167086

I am TORN between these two and don't know which to pick?

Will have to do research which SSD has faster Benchmark and performance scores before i make my final decision. Glad this Labor Day sale is an advantage for me to get a bigger SSD.



At least i won't have to worry about running out of space for BF3 expansion in the future compared to my current 80gb SSD lol.

EDIT:

Turns out i think i decided to maybe get the Samsung after all because it has a extra space and they are both close same price. I think a little extra space is a nice deal. Also not to mention i read that you shouldn't use ACHI drivers for the newest 520 series cuz they have problems with it.

Besides Benchmarking is quite a little good than the Samsung but i think i'll have to research more to be sure if this is the BEST drive.

Can i still use the Intel TOOL for this? I don't know anything about Samsung and their SSD and updated firmware and more?

Too used to Intel.
Get the sammy. However, please wait for a better price than that before you buy. I've seen it down to ~$190...

I AM THE SSD BENCHMARK GURU
Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi go_quote.gif

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

(/ .□.)\ ︵╰(°Д°)╯︵ /(.□. \)

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sean Webster is offline  
post #897 of 2376 Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Overclocker
 
Jamar16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 2,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Get the sammy. However, please wait for a better price than that before you buy. I've seen it down to ~$190...

Seen it for $195 today

WE HAVE THE 100M,200M & 4x100 WR! 9.58s,19.19s & 36.84s! I AM PROUD TO BE JAMAICAN!cheers.gif

Warning: QUOTE! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin go_quote.gif
When Jailbreaking both of my iPhones my iPhone 4 was like Usain Bolt and my iPhone 2G was like Gabe Newall.
Jamar16 is offline  
post #898 of 2376 Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Intel Overclocker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 6,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Get the sammy. However, please wait for a better price than that before you buy. I've seen it down to ~$190...

$190? you kidding me?

That's a good deal but where did you see that at?

I am sure you're not talking about smaller ssd drives? The 128gb ones?

Where do you see $190 for 256gb?

DONATE IN HONOR OF SYRILLIAN
sneaky.gif: : The Official Corsair H50/H70/H100 Hydro Series Club : : sneaky.gif
78@pwnt4lif3 is offline  
post #899 of 2376 Old 09-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Intel Overclocker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 6,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Well i might just wait for the time being because i still haven't gotten a buyer for my current drive.

DONATE IN HONOR OF SYRILLIAN
sneaky.gif: : The Official Corsair H50/H70/H100 Hydro Series Club : : sneaky.gif
78@pwnt4lif3 is offline  
post #900 of 2376 Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
 
Sean Webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 20,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamar16 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Get the sammy. However, please wait for a better price than that before you buy. I've seen it down to ~$190...

Seen it for $195 today
Link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78@pwnt4lif3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Get the sammy. However, please wait for a better price than that before you buy. I've seen it down to ~$190...

$190? you kidding me?
Why would I? The crucial M4 was $170 a few times before too lol.
Quote:
That's a good deal but where did you see that at?

I am sure you're not talking about smaller ssd drives? The 128gb ones?

Where do you see $190 for 256gb?
Random places like newegg, amazon, buy.com, etc.

Why would I be talking about 128GB drives? Those go for about $80-$100 on sale every week.

I AM THE SSD BENCHMARK GURU
Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi go_quote.gif

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

(/ .□.)\ ︵╰(°Д°)╯︵ /(.□. \)

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sean Webster is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off