Is my SSD dying? "BOOTMGR is missing" - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 187
It's another thread from me about a weird instability on my PC frown.gif

I was happily using my PC with a brand new (1 day) install of Windows 7 (using Sean's guide). Then, one by one programs started to hang until eventually I couldn't do anything, so I hit the reset button:

POSTs OK
Get the "BOOTMGR is missing, press ctrl+alt+del..." message
Reboot, enter UEFI, notice my boot options are wrong and it's set to boot from one of my storage drives
Change 1st boot device to SSD
Boots fine

But then the issue happened again about 1 minute after reaching the desktop. I'm still haunted by the dodgy reset button on my Gigabyte board so I tried holding the power button instead, and then turning it on from 'cold' and basically, after 5+ resets it's hanging very quickly every time - my PC is unusable right now.

More information:
  • One reboot, CHKSDK ran automatically on the SSD but I didn't catch the result before it rebooted again
  • I had the exact same thing happen on my old Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P (was either on Win7 or 8, can't remember, possibly both)
  • Often, when I go into the UEFI after a crash, my SSD is not recognised at all. Rebooting (well, up until the "insert correct boot media" message) a few times brings it back
  • Once I got stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen and gave up after 5 minutes

So, whilst it's hard to sum it up, the tl;dr is that my PC keeping hanging, and then when I reset the SSD is usually missing from the UEFI.

Any ideas?

P.S. Reverting CPU to stock changed nothing

Migration_Sherpa 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Live Life Living

Liked: 435
That's odd. Tried seeing what SSDLife says?

Try a different boot drive if you have a spare lying around, sounds like it's the SSD to me.

♪ ❤ ♫

1 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #3 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post

That's odd. Tried seeing what SSDLife says?
Try a different boot drive if you have a spare lying around, sounds like it's the SSD to me.
Just tried, yes, but at first I opened the portable version and was granted with a blank interface with a few blank buttons at the bottom, and then I went back to Firefox to download the installer and it's hung again. Will see if I can get it to work long enough to run that test.

I don't have any spare drives unfortunately, all of my other ones are filled with stuff. frown.gif

Migration_Sherpa 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 238
SSD life comes up blank for me as well. Garbage program. Website looks like it was thrown together in 20 minutes.
Ellis likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 243
post #6 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Programmer

Liked: 105
Try unplugging all other drives for a boot and see if it does it again. If it does see if the ssd is there. How long have you had your m4. This could be that firmware bug.
Ellis likes this.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1498229170.png

2013 Games I want
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Forza 5(?)
Battlefield 4
Saints Row 4
GTA V
East vs West
Soul Sacrifice
ARMA 3
Rainbow Six: Patrios
Killzone: Mercenary
FFX:HD
post #7 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 01:09 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 238
It may very well be a board issue. The only real way to tell is if you swap out the questionable part, with a know good part.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
3.0ghz

Liked: 44
If you can't fix it, this should work,

"Real men do it with their bios"
"Je plie, donc je suis"

post #9 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 PM
3.0ghz

Liked: 44
Sorry, link didn't work, http://cyberst0rm.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-fix-bootmgr-is-missing-in.html
Ellis likes this.

"Real men do it with their bios"
"Je plie, donc je suis"

post #10 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slightly skewed View Post

SSD life comes up blank for me as well. Garbage program. Website looks like it was thrown together by a 14 year old in 20 minutes.
Yeah, I tried again in safe mode and it was the same, so I downloaded the pro portable version (didn't pay, just clicked the pro link) and it tells me:

Drive health is EXCELLENT!

Work time: 7006 hrs, powered on 1025 times, TRIM supported and enabled, 96% health, estimated lifetime is 8 years tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

Try crystal disk info.
Thanks Hayley, I'll try that.

Btw, your hat is one of the ones I keep saved haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinnuke View Post

Try unplugging all other drives for a boot and see if it does it again. If it does see if the ssd is there. How long have you had your m4. This could be that firmware bug.
I bought it around February 2012 but it was used, I can't remember how long the previous owner said they'd had it to be honest. Using the 040H firmware now, though this issue happened before on my Gigabyte motherboard using the firmware before that.

Also, it's been running in safe mode with networking for a while now (10 minutes? tongue.gif) and it appears to be alright.

EDIT: Well, like I said I had this issue on my old board too, and this one was brand new. I'm not saying that rules out the board but it would be awful luck if it was the board. And thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

EDIT 2: Crystal confirmed the 96% figure (assume that's from SMART) and said the health was GOOD, then the system hung. So safe mode does not fix it. Next up: unplugging all drives but the SSD.

EDIT 3 (lol): I only have on SATA device plugged in and it is the SSD in one of the 6Gb/s ports. It's hung again. I'm going to try it in one of the 3Gb/s ports, and then take a look at the linked guide to solving the bootmgr issue. Oh btw, I ran the Windows repair utility thing from the DVD, and it said it couldn't find any issues.

Migration_Sherpa 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page