PCI Express SSD.... Revo Drive 3 X2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lately I have been considering investing into a PCI SSD. I have been reading up on the massive performance gains compared to the traditional SATA SSD's. Currently I have 2 Corsair Force 3's. I am plenty happy with these but I have really been itching to upgrade. I have been looking into the OCZ Revo Drive 3 X2 has anyone had any experience with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Liked: 661
They are very fast drives and absolutely excel in IOPS, but they do have a bit more quirks than the standard 2.5 SSDs. A lot of the issues I've seen have been with the Revo set as the boot drive, so I would suggest keeping one of your current drives as boot/os and using the Revo for programs.

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental
post #3 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 04:17 PM
I was doing it before it was cool

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 415
They are blazing quick but as stated above, they can have some issues when set up as a boot drive. They're fine if you just use them for games, programs etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Cool, I would love to use it primarily as a boot drive. However I am open to using it as a program drive and such. What issues in particular do they have? I just don't want to get myself into a headache ya know?
post #5 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 12:48 AM

Liked: 80
I also wanted to buy REVODRIVE 3x2,and i did some research at that time.You know what is Revo,very lousy,unreliable and expensive raid field,that has been selling as one drive.It makes boot time like you have hard drive connect to IDE and Pentium 3 based pc.If you want speed buy two drives for that money,i believe you can buy two SAMSUNG 840 Pro or Plextor extreme.
This is with c-states disable and 4.5ghz

i7 3770K - P8Z77 V-DELUXE - 2 x Samsung 840 PRO 128GB Raid0 - HD7850 OC 2GB - HX850 - Windows 7
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 930 - X58A-UD3R - Patriot Xtr 3 x 2Gb - 2 x Crucial M4 128GB Raid0 - Sapphire HD5770 1GB - Windows 7
post #6 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Nice, ive been looking into those as well
post #7 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 109
The Revo drives are not faster than any good SATA III SSD in RAID 0, which is what some Revo drives are, two SSD controllers and a RAID chip. Plus you won't have TRIM on the Revo drives, which you will have on an Intel 7 series chipset board, with a RAID 0 volume of SSDs.

Another thing to consider is the new SATA Express standard is being introduced, which is SATA over PCIe slots. That should be much faster than the current Revo drives used in a PCIe slot. We may not see this for a while, but it will be better than the current Revo drives.

Finally, many mother boards won't boot from a PCIe card drive, so these drives are only good for storage.

I'm sorry, but I'm to lazy to Google that for you...

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page