Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
4387 point(s) total

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4426
Send a message via MSN to DuckieHo
My Gigabyte GA-H77-WIFI has a half-height mini-PCIe slot. Since I'm using it for a server, I removed the WAN card.

I was thinking about sticking a small SSD in there.... does anyone know of any half-height mini-PCIe SSDs? I would be using it for Intel's SSD Caching for write-through.

I so far only found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandisk-Mini-PCI-e-SDSA4FH-016G-16GB-SSD-hard-Drive-/321163673770?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item4ac6d8c0aa

However, I haven't found any specs/benchmarks on it.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-07-2013, 12:55 PM
post #3 of 6 Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
4387 point(s) total

Thanks! Now to look up part numbers... I know some of those aren't that fast but still good for a read-only cache.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

My Gigabyte GA-H77-WIFI has a half-height mini-PCIe slot. Since I'm using it for a server, I removed the WAN card.

I was thinking about sticking a small SSD in there.... does anyone know of any half-height mini-PCIe SSDs? I would be using it for Intel's SSD Caching for write-through.

I so far only found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandisk-Mini-PCI-e-SDSA4FH-016G-16GB-SSD-hard-Drive-/321163673770?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item4ac6d8c0aa

However, I haven't found any specs/benchmarks on it.

I found this, seems to be official and has a link to a comprehensive data sheet, scroll down to find part numbers, etc:

http://www.ssd.gb.com/Products/SanDisk_Industrial_and_Enterprise/End_Of_Life/pSSD_Solid_State_Drive_%28SATA%29_P4Model/index.php

I have an ASRock board that apparently has the same kind of half-height mini-PCIe slot for a wireless card, that I don't use. Will a device like this be recognized on the PCIe buss without a driver as a storage device?

I'm sorry, but I'm to lazy to Google that for you...
post #5 of 6 Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Database Developer

Liked: 447
I don't think you can use the Intel SSD caching unless you have an SSD attached directly to the SATA controller on the motherboard.

That Mini-PCIe slot isn't the same thing as a mSATA slot. mSATA would connect to one of the SATA interfaces on the motherboard - it's basically a SATA and Power card edge connector with a small form factor. Mini-PCIe requires a controller AND a SSD attachment to work as a storage device.

Mini-PCIe slot SSD looks like this:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FEM32GFDL&c=FR&pid=10f61b7bd0800de1bfeb21ac4099153136a665a1b66d91d894ba6c3c8f2f1c5c&gclid=COfI5YeT7bgCFQSk4AodsQ8AaA

And no, you can't run Intel RST with it.

Get a regular 2.5" SSD SATA disk and attach it to one of the SATA ports on the motherboard, then Velcro it somewhere in the case. Then you can do Intel RST and be off and running. It assumes, of course, that you have a open SATA port. =)

Greg
DuckieHo likes this.

post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
4387 point(s) total

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

I don't think you can use the Intel SSD caching unless you have an SSD attached directly to the SATA controller on the motherboard.

That Mini-PCIe slot isn't the same thing as a mSATA slot. mSATA would connect to one of the SATA interfaces on the motherboard - it's basically a SATA and Power card edge connector with a small form factor. Mini-PCIe requires a controller AND a SSD attachment to work as a storage device.

Mini-PCIe slot SSD looks like this:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FEM32GFDL&c=FR&pid=10f61b7bd0800de1bfeb21ac4099153136a665a1b66d91d894ba6c3c8f2f1c5c&gclid=COfI5YeT7bgCFQSk4AodsQ8AaA

And no, you can't run Intel RST with it.

Get a regular 2.5" SSD SATA disk and attach it to one of the SATA ports on the motherboard, then Velcro it somewhere in the case. Then you can do Intel RST and be off and running. It assumes, of course, that you have a open SATA port. =)

Greg

Good call, you're right...mSATA would work since it uses the native chipset's controller.

This is miniPCIe which is like a SSD + HBA card on a PCIe slot....

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page