120gb Crucial M500 for $123 new or 250gb Samsung 840 for $150, no warranty? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-19-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm debating between getting the 120gb Crucial M500 from Amazon for about $123 shipped or a 250gb Samsung 840 for $150 from someone on my local Craigslist. For the price difference, I'd much rather have the extra space though I would be worried about the warranty. I'm also considering a 120 gb 840 EVO series over the M500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 AM
Cookie

Liked: 250
I've heard that the Crucial M500 series is not good for home use because of its low write cycles. I could be wrong.

15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3 of 3 Old 08-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 42

Well when I was first typing this reply I didn't bother to look up current prices so I typed out the part about the 840 off Craigslist which I'd only recommend if you can't afford to buy a new drive. The M500 isn't much of an upgrade from the M4 which is still a great drive, but there are better drives out there in my opinion.

120/128GB:

Samsung 840 120GB - $90

Plextor M5S 128GB - $95 

Plextor M5P 128GB - $100

Samsung 840 EVO - $105 (Ends 8/21)

250/256GB:

Samsung 840 250GB - $166 (Ends 8/21)

Plextor M5S 256GB - $180

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - $183

Corsair Neutron Series 256GB - $185

If you're still interested in the 840 off Craigslist:

See if the guy from Craigslist will let you test it before buying it. Just open up a program like CrystalDiskInfo and check the SMART attributes. Also run a benchmark like AS SSD or CrystalDiskMark to make sure it performs how it should. If everything looks good I'd buy it. Apart from firmware or controller issues as long as it works it'll usually continue to work till the flash is worn out. Samsung makes great drives, the only drives I've heard about having problems are certain Sandforce based SSDs due to firmware issues which later got addressed and some of the older, crappy OCZ drives like the Petrol.

As far as SMART values here are the main two I'd pay attention to:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

ID # 5 Reallocated Sector Count

The raw value of this attribute represents the number of sectors that have been moved as a result of a read error, write 
error, or a verification error. If the firmware detects any of these types of errors, all valid data in the block the error 
originates from must be transferred to a new block. This number should be low because a high number would indicate a 
large number of failures.

ID # 177 Wear Leveling Count
This attribute represents the number of media program and erase operations (the number of times a block has been 
erased). This value is directly related to the lifetime of the SSD. The raw value of this attribute shows the total count of 
P/E Cycles.

Here's a guide on SMART values and what they mean: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/download/07_Communicating_With_Your_SSD.pdf

KetchupN1nja likes this.

Fav OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot go_quote.gif

Sounds like a dying cat stuck in a 1980's vacuum cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis go_quote.gif

I wonder. Would this machine be effective, if programmed with say the US law library, history, and Constitution, in calling Federal BS? What it would have to say about our government now?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page