Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Send a message via MSN to SightUp
How do you go about testing a SSD for integrity?

I bought a new SSD on Amazon and they sent it to me in a envelope! I am worried that it did not get the proper packaging it needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-06-2013, 04:50 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 254
plug it in and run as ssd?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 109
Just use it as you normally would, although if you are concerned about it I would not install an OS on it at first.

If it is physically damaged internally, it will simply not work at all most likely, or it will be obviously not right if it did start.

If once installed and is seen in the BIOS, go into Windows and initialize and format it (Windows 7), which is a good integrity test. Then check the SSD's Properties from Explorer. The Tools tab has an Error checking option you can run.

If the SSD manufacture supplies a support utility with their product (your mystery SSD is?), use that to check it with whatever the utility provides.

Run a benchmark test like AS SSD, or copy a large folder of pictures to it and then view them with your favorite viewing program.

If you don't mind letting your PC run overnight, do that and then restart in the morning and see if it is still fine. A complete shutdown overnight and then cold start is also a good test.

Check the SMART data, which really won't show physical damage warnings, but strange readings may be a clue to damage. Be sure you understand SMART and what the SSD will provide in SMART data, if you don't understand a value that does not mean it is a problem.

Check the temperature of the SSD if it has a temp sensor, most SSDs do not. Samsung and SanDisk SSDs usually have temp sensors.

I'm sorry, but I'm to lazy to Google that for you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Database Developer

Liked: 447
As long as the SSD isn't physically damaged during shipment, it's probably fine. That's why they call it SSD --- solid state, no moving parts to break during use or transit.

If you're really concerned, you can copy the drive's capacity worth of data to it and compare the data to the original source. If it's identical after the copy, your drive is working 100%. As for wear level indicators and problem spots, the SMART diagnostics on the drive will tell you if something's wrong. The controller on the SSD keeps careful track of the NAND in the unit and will report any errors encountered.

Whatever you do, don't leave that thing reading and writing over and over for a week or two to test it. SSDs have a finite write lifespan, and you don't want to burn that sucker and faster than you need to. Trust me, if the SSD is bad, you'll know it quickly - if not immediately upon formatting it.

Greg

post #5 of 5 Old 09-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Iconoclast

Liked: 3129
I secure erase or zero write any drive, mechanical or solid state, I get and then format/check it for errors. Then, if at all possible, I use it for non-critical data for a few moths until I'm confident it's not likely to just fail.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page