How to: Setup SSD boot drive with secondary Hard disc optimization - Page 29 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #281 of 779 Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 AM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I all i had to do was create a new administrator account and now everything is good. Because of all the registry edits done this new user was created on my secondary drive, and now i have all the stuff that is supposed to be pinned to the taskbar.

Kunkka: Give that a try. Make a new admin account. And copy all the stuff from your old admin account like "my documents" and "my Pictures" to your new one so you dont lose anything. worked like a charm for me. No need to try this a second time, as everything worked good the first except that 1 folder which is easily fixable.
C8H10N4O2 likes this.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 779 Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains;13317335 
I all i had to do was create a new administrator account and now everything is good. Because of all the registry edits done this new user was created on my secondary drive, and now i have all the stuff that is supposed to be pinned to the taskbar.

Kunkka: Give that a try. Make a new admin account. And copy all the stuff from your old admin account like "my documents" and "my Pictures" to your new one so you dont lose anything. worked like a charm for me. No need to try this a second time, as everything worked good the first except that 1 folder which is easily fixable.

Thanks!!! Solved my problems.
post #283 of 779 Old 05-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains View Post

which 1 folder are you referring to? I just read thru the whole thread and it seems we had the same problem, and you got yours worked out. I went thru and followed everything to the T pretty much. Wont mind doing it again, but if you fixed it without having to wipe clean and start over id like to know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #284 of 779 Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 AM

Liked: 128
Moved to a new thread
post #285 of 779 Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansJr View Post
which 1 folder are you referring to? I just read thru the whole thread and it seems we had the same problem, and you got yours worked out. I went thru and followed everything to the T pretty much. Wont mind doing it again, but if you fixed it without having to wipe clean and start over id like to know
The folder that got messed up during copy is the "default" folder. I believe the op instructed to copy it in safe mode. For some reason I got an error when doings so. Something about the file already existing (even though it didnt).

But to fix this all you got to do is create a new administrator account. And use this new account. But only do this if you followed the steps and your user folder is now on your secondary hard drive. After you have done this you can delete the old admin account. But if you have anything in that users folder it will be erased, so be sure to back it up or copy to the new account first.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

post #286 of 779 Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Commodore 64

Got ya. I went back after i posted that and made a new admin user. Worked perfect. Everything is where it should be now and im lovin this new build.

Guess now i should stop lurking and make my intor thread with the new rig lol
post #287 of 779 Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Commodore 64

KShirza1
Great guide!
I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for a while and have finally signed up. I know this guide is for a Win7 install, however, I would like to know if this will work to dual boot XP and Linux. Right now I dual boot on single standard hard drive. I looked at the registry for XP and I don't seem to see the drive designation to change, just :\users, no C designation beginning.

Am I forgetting something?

Forced to Compute

post #288 of 779 Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Networking Nut

Liked: 7
Question for anyone who has done this: do you guys delete the "Pro" Account once you got everything working? because its annoying to click on the user on every boot.

post #289 of 779 Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Commodore 64

i know this is quite an old tutorial, but i was hoping someone could help me.
I am rather inexperienced with the registry, however I have built a few computers so I am not a total noob.

I recently used this tutorial, and when i went to delete the "Pro" profile, Windows sort of freaked out and all of the folders that you normally see in Windows Explorer (documents, pictures, desktop, videos, etc) were all gone and my account (the real one) had nothing left. I then restarted my computer and it auto logged in to this account and there were no programs pinned to taskbar and the wallpaper was a black screen. I also couldn't access the registry from the start search.

After a bit of messing around I managed to create a new admin, delete both the old ones from control panel, and then rename this one the original name (the one i used in the registry). I was just wondering if this method will be a permanent fix for my earlier problem (i can now access the registry again), or if there is anything else in the registry i should change.

One last thing. Before all the problems, i installed google chrome on the other account that was deleted and replaced. Now with this new account, even though it is an admin, i cannot see the files or anything relating to chrome. This could be that i system restored earlier to before chrome was downloaded, however there are still chrome-related things in the registry...

Thanks for any help!
post #290 of 779 Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 PM
733mhz

Liked: 2
I followed these instructions and they worked great. There was no background afterwards, but I just changed it. Also, what happened to the downloads folder? When I download something, I don't get the choice to save it to the downloads folder. Where is it?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page