What programs are out there to help keep SSD array performing it's best? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I've heard terms like 'garbage collection' and the like being thrown around and would like to know what programs are out there that can help with the deteriorating performance that comes with a raid 0 array since using trim isn't an option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2010, 12:15 PM
4387 point(s) total

Liked: 4426
Google "Tony TRIM".

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #3 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 109
NO tony trim!!

So...what you are doing with Tony-TRIM is erasing all data on free or marked deleted blocks so they do not have the erase before write speed penalty. To help the drive free up space you need to consolidate free space which will increase write cycles to the drive much like GC FW does...Then you run AS-Clean to reset all those now free blocks. So TT is more like manual GC than TRIM really.

You will get an instant speed up by doing this...BUT you have to make it part of your SSD weekly/monthly care regime for it to be most effective.

So...you run Tony TRIM and after a week the drive slows down again...why?

Windows writes randomly with often tiny fragments of data, when a small fragment hits a block it gets written to it, but in order for that block to see another write it has to erase first...hence the drives slows down once all free clean blocks have been used. This is why regular maintenance helps keep drives fast.

see tonys post at ocz:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...-not-need-this
Slightly skewed likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 03:28 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 58
I hope we see a simple answer to this problem within the year.

So you want to buy a Solid State Drive? Check out my pre-purchase guide for a run down on the fundamentals
Already have a Solid State Drive? Read magic-man's Windows 7 optimization guide

Need convincing? Check out these benchmark threads:
AS SSD Benchmarks
Crystal Disc Mark Benchmarks

post #5 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 03:33 PM
4387 point(s) total

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmoney View Post
NO tony trim!!
No? Do you mean go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
I hope we see a simple answer to this problem within the year.
Yes, it's called TRIM.

TRIM will be included in the next ATA-ATAPI spec revision.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #6 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 05:12 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 109
NO I MEAN NO, tony trim was ment more for gen1 drives, not gen2.

there is so much gen 1 tweaks and twists floating around the net that the gen2 drives do not need as there is already better ways or software out there.
I see so much GEN1 drive info posted and very little GEN2 drive info and people do tweaks that are not needed with gen 2 drives.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 07:15 PM
4387 point(s) total

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmoney View Post
NO I MEAN NO, tony trim was ment more for gen1 drives, not gen2.

there is so much gen 1 tweaks and twists floating around the net that the gen2 drives do not need as there is already better ways or software out there.
I see so much GEN1 drive info posted and very little GEN2 drive info and people do tweaks that are not needed with gen 2 drives.
What's the difference between a Gen 1 drive and a Gen 2 drive that doesn't support TRIM or GC?

post #8 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Liked: 238
Hmm, well my drives are gen 2 so I guess there is nothing that I can do except wipe/reinstall OS every couple of months?

Anyone have a download link to a wipe program?

Also, I know how to check if TRIM is on in Windows, but when does it do it's thing? At idle? And how long does it take to complete the task? Is there a way to monitor this?
post #9 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Solid State

Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slightly skewed View Post
Hmm, well my drives are gen 2 so I guess there is nothing that I can do except wipe/reinstall OS every couple of months?

Anyone have a download link to a wipe program?

Also, I know how to check if TRIM is on in Windows, but when does it do it's thing? At idle? And how long does it take to complete the task? Is there a way to monitor this?
Well at the moment, if you have a RAID Array, it won't do it's thing... Windows sends the TRIM command to the hdd controller driver every time it deletes something, the controller driver then passes that command on to the drive (or not in the case of some drivers) and then the drive will schedule that block to be pre-erased, or marked blank or whatever it does with the info... In the case of a RAID array, the block may be in two parts (because of the striping), and no-one has stepped up to the task and written a RAID Driver that does TRIM too... Although I suppose if you did Software raid through Windows it might work... but you can't RAID a startup (boot) disk so that's kinda pointless... and it might not work anyway.

Sadly there is no way to tell if TRIM has happened, other then benchmarking at the moment...

You can disable Windows from sending TRIM commands using the fsutil command, but you can't check if it's working anywhere...
Slightly skewed likes this.

Not SATA III it's SATA 6Gbit/s
SATA cables are SATA cables, no such thing as a "SATA 6Gbit/s cable"

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page