[Tabtimes] Take heart Microsoft, critics slammed the iPad too - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 49 Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Finally! A custom title.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

He does have a point though. The RT has a Tegra 3 chip in it and a res of 1366x768. Other tablets that size are pushing resolutions over 4x that size. The Tegra 3 is the same chip that powers the Nexus 7 and a host of smartphones and tablets, and all of those products are cheaper than the Surface RT. Microsoft is trying to sell their hardware/software combination as a premium package, and since they have no market share right now, they're not in a position to do so. Microsoft is trying to out do Apple at their own game, and in this case, it just doesn't work.

The resolution isn't as important as people think, though I agree that 768p is still too low. In Anandtech's blind test, people actually preferred the Surface RT over the iPad 3 for media consumption because of its 16:9 aspect ratio. During The Verge's testing of the Nexus 10, they preferred the screen on the iPad 3 despite it having nearly 1 million pixels less. There are a number of factors that effect screen quality and for media, viewing angles, and text, the Surface RT does well here. Surface may not suffice for the zealots that read like data points who only want bragging rights.

Processing power[or lack thereof], like resolution, is overstated because all of Apple's products usually pale in comparison to their Android counterparts in compute, yet they still outsell any one Android device by a significant margin. Microsoft's biggest claim to fame with the Surface is the integrated kickstand, type/touch cover, and the familiar Windows. I think $499 would have been a good price if the covers were included.

That said, I don't think the lower sales figures is because there is some inherent problem with the Surface, rather they can't build them as fast as Apple can build iPads. They seriously lack the control over their supply chain and can barely stock their own, sparse Microsoft stores with Surfaces. Get the supply chain issues under control and adjust the pricing a bit, and I think Microsoft can be a major player in Tablet form.

LGA 1155 Owners Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 31
I looked at one of these tablets at Walmart the other day. Was DISGUSTED. Cheap plastic casing, low res screen....and a $599.99 price tag!!!!

Forget that garbage. I'll get a superior tablet with a better OS on it. Got an iPad instead. thumb.gif

Keep this in mind....I conform to nobody. I help out when I can and freely. I will NOT conform to others in any way shape or form....nor will I accept any rudeness. buttkick.gif
POWER CORRUPTS!!! Do not let it. thumb.gif
post #23 of 49 Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Finally! A custom title.

Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post

I looked at one of these tablets at Walmart the other day. Was DISGUSTED. Cheap plastic casing, low res screen....and a $599.99 price tag!!!!

Forget that garbage. I'll get a superior tablet with a better OS on it. Got an iPad instead. thumb.gif

The Surface is magnesium(possibly an alloy)... You have no credibility and I find it really difficult not to call you names... I mean really.
Spritanium and Peopie like this.

LGA 1155 Owners Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 49 Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 141
Quote:

WHY can't I take rep away from you

WHY

post #25 of 49 Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM

Liked: 123
Honestly the res doesn't bother me that much. I'm tired of seeing people saying they NEED 1080 on a 10' or less chassis.

With such a small surface area the difference is not night and day. Some will claim it is, but then again there are always people who apparently has much better eye sight than the average human being.

The question is...how much does the RT cost MS to produce(leave out R&D, etc)? Is it too close to the 299 mark to make any real profit?

post #26 of 49 Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Programmer

Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

The Surface is magnesium(possibly an alloy)... You have no credibility and I find it really difficult not to call you names... I mean really.

lachen.gif
post #27 of 49 Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post

Honestly the res doesn't bother me that much. I'm tired of seeing people saying they NEED 1080 on a 10' or less chassis.

With such a small surface area the difference is not night and day. Some will claim it is, but then again there are always people who apparently has much better eye sight than the average human being.

The question is...how much does the RT cost MS to produce(leave out R&D, etc)? Is it too close to the 299 mark to make any real profit?

When it comes down to it all I see it doing for people is bragging rights. Hey guys, man, look at how I can view the same content with such a high DPI. Wow... look... same content.

Frankly, when you consider the interpolation used in the image processing, it makes it nearly pointless. The images are by no mean's sharper unless they are viewed at their native resolution they were compiled at. High DPI should really be kept for professional photo editing where the printer uses the same DPI.
post #28 of 49 Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 268
Quote:

Won't conform to others.. bought an iPad not knowing that the surface is made with superior alloys and materials. thumb.gif

The quality of the product is not in question here sir, the price is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 go_quote.gif

You want true privacy? Go live in the woods with no electronics like in the early 19th century. Otherwise stop complaining.

In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto

post #29 of 49 Old 01-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Try catching every moment you see...

Liked: 280
I agree with everyone else on this. If microsoft is going to build a "premium" product and slap a premium price tag on it, the specs had better be premium as well. If Microsoft is going to build a "premium" product but skimp on the specs, they had better know that people are going to notice that the specs are lower and expect a corresponding lower price tag as well.

We don't live in the 80's anymore folks. People do their research on their products. The reason the Nexus 7 was a runaway success was because at the time it was released, the OS was brand new, the specs were better than any other 7" tablet on the market, the package was fantastic, and the PRICE was perfectly low; it outclassed every other 7" tablet on the market, and it did it while being the same price or cheaper.

That's where Microsoft has to start. If they do that, I think people will actually buy the Surface. It's a nice tablet. thumb.gif

4 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #30 of 49 Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I don't agree with that. Most people buy Windows computers because of a number of reasons, but aren't limited to: They play more games. They run the software that they are used to from work (which is where most of the population (ie those not between the ages of 8 and 24) learned their computer skills from. I don't think that cost has all that much to do with why people buy Windows computers over Mac's. The reality is, outside of many schools and certain businesses (usually graphics related), Mac's aren't common and people don't want to tie themselves to something that isn't everywhere and used by the majority of the population of the US, which is partly why Linux hasn't taken off.
Agreed.

whoa whoa whoa hold it there, most people don't play PC games. That is not a huge reason that determines this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntz go_quote.gif
Piracy is like masturbation, everyone denies it, but everyone does it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb213 go_quote.gif
Is there a folding@home type program to help cure the idiotic news replys?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page