help me decide - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So it looks like my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet finally died. Bummed about that. So I'm looking to replace it with a new tablet. And I'm really torn between which one to get, even in size 10 vs 7. One thing I really liked about my Galaxy Tab was being able to use the usb adapter + file browser app with a thumb drive for more storage. I would like that option for my next tablet.

Right now I currently own a iPhone 4s, and late 2012 new iMac computer but I'm not married to getting an iPad. I do really like the Reeder app on my iPhone (vs gReader Pro on android), though with Google Reader dying not sure what the future means for synching my rss feeds across my devices. It sounds like using a thumb drive on an iPad isn't as easy as using on an android tablet (if I'm wrong please correct me).

I do like that the Surface RT has a SD and USB slot built right in. Haven't really played around with it, but it does look nice.

I think the 3 finalist are:

1. iPad (newest retina version) or iPad mini.
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
3. Microsoft Surface RT

So, what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 109
iPad mini. No question.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 17
Honestly, it's really about preference. Size wise, that's going to depend on how mobile you need it. If you want something you can take everywhere, any time, go for the 7in (or 7.9in iPad mini). If you use it around the house a lot, and take it to friends' house in your car, then grab a larger tablet.

Brand wise, it's even more preference. The main two things to look at, are which OS you'll prefer, and which extra features you'll use. The Apple store is fully mature, and you are familiar with iOS with your iPhone. It's pretty much the same. The Note 10.1 is pretty much the same as your Tab, OS / Android store wise. The Surface is more of a wildcard in your case. It's a good option, IF you are familiar with and like W8. If so, the Surface is a good tablet, by all means.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
So can you hook up a usb thumb drive to the iPad and use it as external storage? I'm still not quite sure what the definitive answer is on that.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksno1 View Post

So can you hook up a usb thumb drive to the iPad and use it as external storage? I'm still not quite sure what the definitive answer is on that.

If you buy a $30 adapter and jailbreak, I believe you can. Otherwise, only media (I believe music, videos and photos) will be accessible (still need the $30 adapter).
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Programmer

Liked: 120
I have an iPad 3 and a Surface RT. I have also used the Nexus 10 (not the Galaxy Note, though). I like them all but my favorite is the Surface. For my needs which are mostly browsing and media viewing it's fantastic. I love having the full size USB port and Windows explorer for file management. I do play games on it but not very often. Of course, MS's app ecosystem is still much smaller than Apple and Google's, so keep that in mind if it's important to you. If you can, give the Surface a try and if it's not the demo version at the MS store then even better since the demo version is a bit slower.

Creative X-Fi Titanium HD > Firestone Cute Beyond > Denon AH-D2000
post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Programmer

Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

If you buy a $30 adapter and jailbreak, I believe you can. Otherwise, only media (I believe music, videos and photos) will be accessible (still need the $30 adapter).
Unless they've updated it in a while, I think it's just photos and videos. It's basically a camera-import kit. Never heard of it working for music, but I could be wrong.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

Unless they've updated it in a while, I think it's just photos and videos. It's basically a camera-import kit. Never heard of it working for music, but I could be wrong.

I stand corrected then. Yeah, it's just the camera kit. I'm sure of the photos and videos support. Wasn't so sure about the music but assumed it might work.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 21
Surface RT without question but i hate apple lol.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Audiophile

Liked: 67
I don't really like surface rt , it feels cheap and has a weird resolution for a tablet and the touch is ok but doesn't work really well with that weird resolution ( atleast the one I tried wich had windows RT).

The iPad is really good but it does have the storage limitation (important , as nowadays I carry around almost 1 Terabyte of stuff around redface.gif)

I'm pretty sure you're best best is a android system , but a white-brand one wich will always be more open to the outside than a Samsung or Apple device.

Quote:
Quote:
[/SIZE]Dear noble Apple© knight on a white iHorse©,

You didn't use enough 'gotproof' emotes in your last post to properly defend the great land of iMordor©.

<3,
Steve Jobs©, Apple© CEO
Originally Posted By Elements Rage:

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page