Forum Jump: 

post #2571 of 6150 Old 04-08-2012, 08:11 AM
BWG
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 140

Not only does ext4 take a long time, it can actually fail at compressing totally. We have already had a user fail a 6904 this month on an ext4 file system. It did not compress properly and just hung. When he restarted the client, the work unit re-downloaded and started from step 1.

Maybe you guys could put your heads together and make some swaps to use kremtoks 580. The 560ti Caleal has is very steady and reliable, but it is getting smoked by the 580's in other teams. That was a suggestion I made to kremtok when I denied his request to fold on 2 teams.

I'm still here.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  50 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2572 of 6150 Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Folding Fanatic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG View Post

The 560ti Caleal has is very steady and reliable, but it is getting smoked by the 580's in other teams.

The magic smoke escaped from my 560 Ti last month due condensation on my chilled water block when I had an unfortunate humidity control failure in my house.
I've been plugging along with my GTX470 for the team but 5 straight days this month of the p764x work units that give horrible PPD. frown.gif

At my job, I've gone from not having much work all "winter" to working late every day for 6 or 7 days a week, so I've had no free time to work on anything personal.
I'm also not particularly interested in purchasing another Fermi card.

Feel free to replace me, I won't be offended at all.

I would probably get back into it when there is a new client optimized to take advantage of Nvidia's Kepler core, and a TC category is made for it.

On the other hand, I have given thought to picking up a 580 and using my chiller for it, but insulated to the max this time...redface.gif

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

HFM stats
EOC stats

Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  50 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #2573 of 6150 Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 AM
BWG
Retired Staff

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 140

I think your team is very very happy with you, but I wanted to suggest swapping some people around to make you more competitive with the rest of the crowd. All fermi's have been hit with those work units this month. It is whatever you and your team decides. You are folding consitantly, so I would never replace you. thumb.gif

I'm still here.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  50 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2574 of 6150 Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Folding Fanatic

Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleal View Post

The magic smoke escaped from my 560 Ti last month due condensation on my chilled water block when I had an unfortunate humidity control failure in my house.

You can put that magic smoke back in, you know.
They used to make replacement smoke for jaguars, and it's probably compatible. definitely worth a shot.

Smokekit2.jpg
jcharlesr75 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootergeek40 go_quote.gif
your ISP will report you to the Feds as running an underground supercomputer hack-plant, aimed at bringing the world leaders to their Knees Kim-Jong-Il style, except you won't be quite as ronery.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  100 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2017 

post #2575 of 6150 Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Folding Fanatic

Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post

You can put that magic smoke back in, you know.
They used to make replacement smoke for jaguars, and it's probably compatible. definitely worth a shot.

Sadly, it is only for Lucas positive earth electrical systems. frown.gif

I'm not sure what kind of car the bottle is sitting on, but I've owned several MGBs like in the background, though probably not as nice.
Between all the MG's and Triumphs I've owned, I've dealt with many Lucas magic smoke leaks...redface.gif

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

HFM stats
EOC stats

Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  50 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #2576 of 6150 Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG View Post

Not only does ext4 take a long time, it can actually fail at compressing totally. We have already had a user fail a 6904 this month on an ext4 file system. It did not compress properly and just hung. When he restarted the client, the work unit re-downloaded and started from step 1.

Maybe you guys could put your heads together and make some swaps to use kremtoks 580. The 560ti Caleal has is very steady and reliable, but it is getting smoked by the 580's in other teams. That was a suggestion I made to kremtok when I denied his request to fold on 2 teams.

Ok then. So when my current 6903 finishes, ill reinstall ubuntu on the ext3 fs instead and see what happens. I did notice the long time to upload and thought it was my hdd failing. The drive did ultimately fail, but im sure the setup issue didnt help any.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints,
The sinners are much more fun

When Chuck Norris lands in the water he doesnt get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris'd.

30 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2017 

post #2577 of 6150 Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Folding Fanatic

Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleal View Post

Sadly, it is only for Lucas positive earth electrical systems. frown.gif
I'm not sure what kind of car the bottle is sitting on, but I've owned several MGBs like in the background, though probably not as nice.
Between all the MG's and Triumphs I've owned, I've dealt with many Lucas magic smoke leaks...redface.gif

Don't be too sure, it's spec'd for our sovereign, and that's negative earth, and we've had to put the smoke back in twice now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootergeek40 go_quote.gif
your ISP will report you to the Feds as running an underground supercomputer hack-plant, aimed at bringing the world leaders to their Knees Kim-Jong-Il style, except you won't be quite as ronery.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  100 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2017 

post #2578 of 6150 Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Commodore 64

I couldn't wait till the wu finished, so I backed up my fah folder and reinstalled with the ext3 to see what happens....I'm hoping to notice a huge difference in the write time for that file.

When Chuck Norris lands in the water he doesnt get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris'd.

30 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2017 

post #2579 of 6150 Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 370
Drat. As I was checking on the Infinity GTS450 a few minutes ago, it finished a work unit and then started a 7642.

Reason. Purpose. Self Esteem.
My Little Pony: Overclocking is Magic!
XBox Live Gamertag: Kremtok

Chimp Challenge Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  250 Million Folding Points  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2017  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #2580 of 6150 Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 AM
Commodore 64

Been a long time since i folded gpu, whats so bad about that one??

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page