[Wired] Fast-Frame Hobbit Dangles Prospect of Superior Cinema - Page 4 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 64 Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

Why do they have to use 48? Why can't they use a multiple of 30 so it meshes with TVs and we don't get crappy pull-down ratios.

Since it's exactly double of the standard. Sounds like James Cameron is leaning towards an even 60 though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 AM
pita

Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

Why do they have to use 48? Why can't they use a multiple of 30 so it meshes with TVs and we don't get crappy pull-down ratios.
Because it's 3D. 3D @ 24 fps gives you 12 fps per eye - 48 fps is so you get 24 fps again.

When asking for help: state the goal, not the step.

post #33 of 64 Old 04-26-2012, 04:11 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post

I've watched a bunch of stuff on a 120 Hz TV and I did not like it at all. I can't stand the soap opera look.

That's exactly what I've noticed too. Maybe it'll look a little different, but on a 120Hz TV, things start getting really smooth, and the whole aesthetic of film itself starts looking different. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I'd honestly like to see a few motion pictures that aren't shot on 3D that are projected at 48 or 60fps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 64 Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Programmer

Liked: 105
I don't think you guys are seeing the real issue here. Animation from 24 -> 48 FPS is double the work. 24 -> 60 is 2.5x's the work, driving up production costs and time to make it.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1498229170.png

2013 Games I want
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Forza 5(?)
Battlefield 4
Saints Row 4
GTA V
East vs West
Soul Sacrifice
ARMA 3
Rainbow Six: Patrios
Killzone: Mercenary
FFX:HD
post #35 of 64 Old 04-26-2012, 07:04 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinnuke View Post

I don't think you guys are seeing the real issue here. Animation from 24 -> 48 FPS is double the work. 24 -> 60 is 2.5x's the work, driving up production costs and time to make it.

I don't understand what you are talking about. If you are talking about 3D animation then going from 24 to 60 FPS is not double the work in fact its no work at all as its just a mater of setting the setting to the desired fps. The rendering will obviously take longer so it does cost more as render farm time is not free in most cases.

If you are referring to traditional hand drawn animation then you are wrong again as thous do not conform to a single frame rate at all and in staid use a sort of adaptive style where more frames are drawn for parts where there is more and larger movements. Its only later that thees frames are converted into a standard locked frame rate.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
post #36 of 64 Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Retired Staff

Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

I don't understand what you are talking about. If you are talking about 3D animation then going from 24 to 60 FPS is not double the work in fact its no work at all as its just a mater of setting the setting to the desired fps. The rendering will obviously take longer so it does cost more as render farm time is not free in most cases.
If you are referring to traditional hand drawn animation then you are wrong again as thous do not conform to a single frame rate at all and in staid use a sort of adaptive style where more frames are drawn for parts where there is more and larger movements. Its only later that thees frames are converted into a standard locked frame rate.

The actual cameras to do the filming cost more. The rest of the cost is getting the theaters to get projectors that can display it.

post #37 of 64 Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

The actual cameras to do the filming cost more. The rest of the cost is getting the theaters to get projectors that can display it.

Well of course I know that. The epic red cameras that they use to shoot the hobbit are insanely expensive and they have dozens of them for there various rigs. If that is what he meant the fine thou I found the word animation to be used in that contexts to be confusing. Also I don't think that its accurate to say it takes double the work to shoot at higher frame rates as Peter Jackson him self stated that they can shoot with the 3D cameras in much the same way as they did when using normal cameras during the lord of the rings production.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
post #38 of 64 Old 04-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

Cameras for animation aren't an issue really at all anymore. And studio cameras are getting cheaper and cheaper. In fact its turning into a whole "new technology into a dinosaur" thing is the real issue now with digital cameras. Its a real headache. Most people don't need a Panavision or Arriflex anymore. The lenses... THEY are the great equalizer haha. I work on a shoot at least once a week as of late for various production teams as a reference point.

Aaaand I still feel 3D is a useless gimmick. Especially now that I work in the industry.

-Tyler

"Energy can be neither created nor destroyed by ordinary means"
-Law of Conservation of Energy

"A woman's scorn can be created by anything but destroyed by nothing"
-Law of Conservation of my Relationship
post #39 of 64 Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 PM

Liked: 67
It's not a matter of what is technically superior.

I have a couple of friends who are married, and both are "sort of" into gaming and movies.
One of the couple has a 1080p plasma running at 60Hz, the other bought an LCD which was stuck in store mode at 120Hz.

Neither of them would watch a movie on the LCD.
The complaints were; "It was jarring and unnatural".

And we want the general populace to accept this?

The Hobbit will go down as a technical failure, because people are simply not ready for it.

post #40 of 64 Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 11
it will creepy, but im not sure.

/

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page