[Verge] Apple receives patent for rectangular with rounded corners - Page 19 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 226 Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post

This is what I got in reply to the email -

I received the same email today. I hope many more took action and the Patent Office gets flooded and forced to do something... Maybe someone should start one of those White House site polls or something, where if it gets 25K sig's the White House is forced to make some sort of statement regarding the issue. Would be nice.

Most recent CPUs: 5000+ BE, 555BE, 1090T, 965BE, G3220, 955BE, FX8120, FX6300
Most Recent GPUs: HD4670, HD 4770, CF HD4870, GTX560, HD 6850, HD6950, HD7950
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 226 Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post

This is what I got in reply to the email -

At least they replied. Probably automated though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadBull go_quote.gif

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

It's also why I eat my bacon in the dark ?????
My prediction for the next FPS released by EA (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 go_quote.gif

In a couple of years when Battlefront 3 gets released, the cycle is going to continue. It might not even be in 2 years time. I would not be surprised at all of Battlefield 2018 has exactly the same microtransaction system.
post #183 of 226 Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 AM
0x00000124

Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

I received the same email today. I hope many more took action and the Patent Office gets flooded and forced to do something... Maybe someone should start one of those White House site polls or something, where if it gets 25K sig's the White House is forced to make some sort of statement regarding the issue. Would be nice.

Gonna shoot out another using my other e-mail, before I head out.

post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifThe Windows 10 Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedraCorruption go_quote.gif
Oh but this is overclock.net We sandpaper our $1000 CPUs for that extra 2c.

“All Rocket League players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.” —Gordie Howe
Steam: crashdummy35 Battlelog: crashdummy35
Take a minute to welcome our new members from time-to-time...thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 226 Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

At least they replied. Probably automated though.

I was kind of surprised too, to be honest, even if automated. Though I'm not sure it was automated, or if it was read and they just have a standard reply message to send in return. And from what I understand, the email I received states my "complaint" will be forwarded to whoever is in charge of approving the patent? Not sure if they want me to send another email to someone else, or what...anyone else interpret my email differently?
post #185 of 226 Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

Guys it's just a design patent; it's not like no one can make a tablet with rounded edges; they just have to make any future tablets look different than the apple one.

post #186 of 226 Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 48
This is so far beyond ridiculous, I don't think there's even a word for it. Apple has to be casting some bright sunshine (so to speak) into someone's pockets. I can't think of another way such a silly patent would be granted. kookoo.gif

I really wonder if it's ever crossed anyone's mind at Apple to continue to succeed by building truly superior products instead of always scraping up ammunition to attack the competition in a courtroom.

0041004D0044002000770069006C006C0020007200690073006500200061006700610069006E

Reality is not only stranger than we suppose. It may be stranger than we can suppose.

Quotes & Such (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruflot go_quote.gif

I tend to draw a picture of Chuck Norris on the CPU using TIM, just to get it evenly spreaded.

Chimp Challenge Participant X4  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #187 of 226 Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 AM
2.4ghz

Liked: 72
Sorry guys, I think you're all a bunch of chicken-little's running around terrified that the sky is falling rolleyes.gif

Here's a quote from the article that may alleviate your fear:

Granted, an argument can be made that the horizontal and vertical lengths of the solid edge line in the drawings limits the patent coverage to a specific proportional design that excludes tablets with different aspect ratios, but you wouldn't want that to be your primary defense.

Remember, there's no concrete evidence that Apple has patented a "rectangular device with rounded edges." That's what it looks like to a layman, but how many of you have experience reading US patents? Even the author of the article isn't sure - he (begrudgingly) admits that he's making an assumption. People are protesting a patent that they don't fully understand, which is about as absurd as trying to patent a shape rolleyes.gif

post #188 of 226 Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucers View Post

Sorry guys, I think you're all a bunch of chicken-little's running around terrified that the sky is falling rolleyes.gif
Granted, an argument can be made that the horizontal and vertical lengths of the solid edge line in the drawings limits the patent coverage to a specific proportional design that excludes tablets with different aspect ratios, but you wouldn't want that to be your primary defense.

Remember, there's no concrete evidence that Apple has patented a "rectangular device with rounded edges." That's what it looks like to a layman, but how many of you have experience reading US patents? Even the author of the article isn't sure - he (begrudgingly) admits that he's making an assumption. People are protesting a patent that they don't fully understand, which is about as absurd as trying to patent a shape rolleyes.gif

Actually, there is evidence, as stated in the following paragraph:

"As we've explained before, the scope of a design patent is defined by the drawings, and the solid lines are what counts —the dashed lines are just there for context. As you can see below, the 'D286 patent has a lot of gratuitous context but just a single solid line defining what is being protected."

While it is not 100% clear to a layman, as you so cleverly put it, that the exact basis for the patent is a 'rectangle with rounded corners,' there is more evidence to suggest this than there is to contradict it. Obviously, the patent is for something along the lines of a rectangular mobile computing device with rounded corners, while things like size and aspect ratio may be considered as well. That being said, I think it's safe to say your implied self-proclamation of intellectual superiority is just as premature and unfounded as our rants about this topic.

0041004D0044002000770069006C006C0020007200690073006500200061006700610069006E

Reality is not only stranger than we suppose. It may be stranger than we can suppose.

Quotes & Such (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruflot go_quote.gif

I tend to draw a picture of Chuck Norris on the CPU using TIM, just to get it evenly spreaded.

Chimp Challenge Participant X4  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #189 of 226 Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 33
As i look through drawer of old nokia and motorola cell phones that are rectangular with rounded corners lol.

post #190 of 226 Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 AM

Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucers View Post

So now it's, "rectangular with rounded corners in the 16:9 ratio"? You're not making much of an argument here...Please just try to imagine this carried over to any other industry...perhaps displays...I don't know. The patent is broad and ridiculous, any way you put it. Perhaps it is such a broad and vague patent, and that's why people are having a hard time understanding it.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page