Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstableiser View Post

Well, you have to pay taxes tongue.gif

TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION?

REVOLT!

Earth vs Mars thumb.gif

Aristotle:
Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 139 Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Programmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Send a message via AIM to Twinnuke Send a message via MSN to Twinnuke Send a message via Skype™ to Twinnuke
You're looking at a substantial issue if crops die over there.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1498229170.png

2013 Games I want
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Forza 5(?)
Battlefield 4
Saints Row 4
GTA V
East vs West
Soul Sacrifice
ARMA 3
Rainbow Six: Patrios
Killzone: Mercenary
FFX:HD
post #73 of 139 Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Liked: 85
The average cost to launch a Space Shuttle is about $450 million per mission. To put a pound of anything into a near-earth orbit costs about $10,000. In other words, this is not happening any time soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 139 Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 4
Send a message via Skype™ to snaguoonkee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

We are already on a one way ticket to death, but the people who go might have a more interesting ride.
Except for the fact that I would miss my family I would be quite tempted to go. The challenge of building a whole new civilisation on a different planet appeals to me. Sure beats sitting in an office staring out the window.

You have no idea how lucky you are to be getting paid by sitting down. Tell that to anyone suffering from poverty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I don't really understand why/how you all seem to think this is a 1 way trip of death...
As is Astronauts take up enough food to survive for @ 1 month just in case something goes wrong...
If they can fit that in a shuttle, there will certainly be enough supplies to last a very long time on Mars...
Building a colony takes an entire workforce...
Again, I'm just stating that it IS possible...It's not like Columbus vs. the Native tribes-people...There's literally nothing to concur.
Worst case scenario, Doom 3 happens...But, apparently the Mayans will have us before then.
The real question would be about sustainability...If anything...Not livability because you will survive...

How are you going to build a colony? Just take wrenches and nails and get to work? There are no trees or any building material besides carving hard rock. You can't also take tons of steel with you to build it either. At best, it's going to be you cramped in a shuttle every day without being able to leave at all. It's Humans vs Nature out there, not easy as you make it out to be.

Also, landing the shuttle will be a huge challenge. They had to land the Curiosity by lowering ropes, how are you going to drop 10 or more people through a pod without it getting damaged and the people not getting injured or killed? I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's something that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Interesting idea, but I'll be surprised if it happens or makes serious progress in this decade. We haven't had territory that was unclaimed in quite a few generations, so it'll be interesting to see how everything gets set up. Also, if the technology wasn't proven to be effective, sending a person to Mars might have some legal implications as well.
post #75 of 139 Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 51
846000 average ping? No thanks. tongue.gif

EDIT: Actually, that's one way. I meant 1692000.

post #76 of 139 Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 170
I sure bet it will be a good reality show.

CPU owned:
i5-750 & EVGA Classified 200 - 4.8GHz
i7-870 & EVGA Classified 200 - 5GHz
i7-2600k & Z77X-UD3H - 5GHz
i7-4790k & MSI Gaming 5 - 5GHz
post #77 of 139 Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 PM
333mhz

Liked: 3
Who else wants to come? We'll assume control of the red planet and declare independence from earth.

biggrin.gif
post #78 of 139 Old 11-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socko1965 View Post

I don't think you'd live very long if you just lounged around.

Every month your bones de-calcify by 2% while in space, so could be interesting.

UP TOWN GIRL, SHE'S BEING LIVING IN A SOMETHING ...SOMETHING.. SOMETHING.

post #79 of 139 Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Iconoclast

Liked: 3129
No one said it absolutely had to be a one way trip.

Even if it is, people would go. It wouldn't be that different from many colonization/pioneering efforts in Earth's history.

I'd be tempted to go. Since the only other person I really care about would probably want to go too (she's a planetary scientist and an astrobiologist), I wouldn't be leaving much I'd miss behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seid Dark View Post

But this is not happening in near future.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

It took less than two decades for airplanes to go from novelty to mainstream. Privatized space travel could do the same.

The technology is largely here. Money and motivation are what's lacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I agree. All I was responding to was to the comment about how this guy gets things done. While I'm not knocking his past accomplishment, what he did was done 52 years ago. What he proposes has never been done before, much less to the scale at which he proposes.
Just because he has done was has been done half a century before doesn't mean that is proof he can do what has never been done before.
That's all I was commenting on.

If the space race had continued at the pace it was at during the 60s, we would have put a human on Mars by the 80s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Well, in order to have $500,000 cash just sitting around, you would surely have to at least me a millionaire.

At least 85% of my net worth is in cash and other liquid assets. Also, if I were seriously headed to Mars, for good, I would obviously liquidate everything else.

So no, to have $500k, you need exactly $500k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinnuke View Post

You're looking at a substantial issue if crops die over there.

No martian colony would be expected to be self sufficient for quite a while, and they would likely have significant stockpiles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain1337 View Post

The average cost to launch a Space Shuttle is about $450 million per mission. To put a pound of anything into a near-earth orbit costs about $10,000. In other words, this is not happening any time soon.

Firstly, your 10,000 dollars per pound to NEO is an exaggeration. Certain vehicles (some fairly old) are capable of ~$1.5k per pound to NEO, and these are largely disposable.

Obviously, they won't be using Space Shuttles designed in the 1970s, and retired in the first decade of the 21st century, in the mid-2030s. The Shuttle was retired for a reason. It's efficiency was sub par in the 1990s, it simply had some special capabilities that made it viable.

Putting objects and people in space is getting cheaper, and the privatization of space flight is just beginning.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #80 of 139 Old 11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
550hp Supercharged 5l V8

Liked: 204
...without asking them if they want to, first.

The Euro Truck Simulator 2 Information and Discussion Thread
How to attach a Corsair H60i, H80i, or H100i AIO cooler to your 4X0, 5X0, or 6X0-series nVidia GPU.
Quote:
I punch yo butt

- Tiny Tina

You micro your right stalker in, your left stalker out, and forcefield all about.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page