[TheAge]NYPD, Microsoft create crime-fighting tech system - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 53 Old 02-23-2013, 09:32 PM
4.0 GHz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 181
It's NYC........................ as long as they don't watch me taking my 3am piss behind the dumpster and ticket me I couldn't care less.. much like the rest of NYers.. And if there is a terrorist attack at least we will know who is behind it.

This could really help in situations like a couple years ago when the guy tried to car bomb times square but the trigger failed and smoke came out of the abandoned car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith go_quote.gif
I guess that intel is really serious about competin with itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 17
NYC can go to hell for all I care. I'm currently fighting a ticket they gave me for parking in a parking area.

post #13 of 53 Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

London, the most watched city in the world with tens of thousands of CCTV camera's.

Crimes solved: 0, people monitored constantly: millions.

Notice how the article mentions 'terrorism' and not rape, mugging, murder, etc? This isn't to solve crimes, it's to record everyone's movements.

Orwell was a great visionary and seer, possibly the greatest we will ever know.

+1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 AM
733mhz

Liked: 8
post #15 of 53 Old 02-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 42
Quote:

London, the most watched city in the world with tens of thousands of CCTV camera's.

Notice how the article mentions 'terrorism' and not rape, mugging, murder, etc? This isn't to solve crimes, it's to record everyone's movements.

+1

Fav OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot go_quote.gif

Sounds like a dying cat stuck in a 1980's vacuum cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis go_quote.gif

I wonder. Would this machine be effective, if programmed with say the US law library, history, and Constitution, in calling Federal BS? What it would have to say about our government now?

post #16 of 53 Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 94
well you could get yourself instead of tin foil hat a led hat, that way you would be obscured on those cameras smile.gif

in hindsight, i guess it would probably leave you dead as i am sure they would decide to go a shoot you just to be sure ...

best
revro

Got Star Citizen refund, and so can you
Nikon D7100/DX AF-S 18-105 3,5-5,6
Sticking to Q9550@3.4, till AMD Ryzen+, Why Q9550 rocks and CPU Bottleneck bench, What I play
Heaven 4.0, Valley 1.0, 3DMark, 3DMark11, FFIX Bench, PassMark, GPU-Z validation, CPU-Z validation
GTX780 320.49 Fraps 180s @1440 FC3 avg fps on Ultra 4MSAA 56,489; 2MSAA 58,817fps FXAA
GTX780 320.49 Fraps 180s @1440 CS3 Very High avg fps on 4MSAA 30,24; 47,83fps FXAA
GTX780 320.49 Fraps 180s @1440 BF3 64MP Ultra avg fps on 4MSAA 54,61 fps; 56,23fps FXAA
CPU: DidaktikGama->286->486SX2 50MHz->486DX4 100MHz->PIII700MHz->PIV3GHz->E7500->Q9550
GPU: AtiRageAIO128->AtiRadeon9700Pro->AtiRadeon5750->EvgaGTX660FTW3GB->GigabyteGTX780OCWindForce->GigabyteGTX970GamingG1
post #17 of 53 Old 02-24-2013, 02:37 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 232
Quote:

+ REP

post #18 of 53 Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 AM
Too Mean To Mod

Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5entinel View Post

Keep it clean in here folks - You know the rules. Leave conspiracy theories,and politics out of this thread.

Source
This thread is political. I remember a discussion about the "no politics" rule some time ago, which was settled by an administrator basically saying that he doesn't mind topics covering politics in relation to technology. Is that no longer true?

Anyway, I don't believe conspiracy theories are necessary for skepticism of all this. It's a fact that such a surveillance network is very intrusive upon the public; it's reasonable to feel that having your actions recorded while walking down the street is simply too much. It's a fact that the US government does not take civil rights as seriously as it is legally obligated to; we've seen many examples of the government ignoring or manipulating civil rights over the last decade.
Call me a conspiracy theorist for saying it if you must, but there's no theory needed to point out that the government's actions are making us more and more vulnerable to the threat that it imposes upon us. Instead of updating our civil rights and constitution to maintain their original purpose in the modern world, they are often disqualified due to technicality. Corporations often exhaust all resources to pressure politicians to act in ways that favor their interests. Thanks to that, politicians often propose laws for corporate motives, as oppose to civil motives. (Trying to lay claim that the government need not acknowledge our privacy on the internet, and such.)
These things are alarming; they should be. No conspiracy theory is necessary in order to see we are vulnerable to conspiracy.
Ecstacy likes this.

post #19 of 53 Old 02-24-2013, 04:07 AM

Location: "Joy is but the shadow of pain" You'll figure it out.
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

LOL. You realize you are over reacting...why? Because in PUBLIC domains you have no privacy. I mean unless you had an invisibility cloak. All this tech does is make it easier to catalog and maintain information. How would this be any different than all the eyes and people watching you everyday when you go about your everyday routine? It might cut out the unreliability of human witnesses though.

As for that crimes solved figure...didn't they have some asinine law or something that made it difficult to get access to the CCTV footage for those basic crimes? (IDK that's why I'm asking as that's a rumor I heard not sure if it is true).

EDIT: Forgot to mention one of the less talked about problems with systems like these is how difficult it can be to actually find what they are looking for in all the information they have.

Public SPACE (public domain is an entirely different things) denotes an area to which anyone has access
Semi Public space are areas where anyone can gain access by (most of the time) paying. Places like shops, resturants and malls.

While public space isn't private space, privacy is another thing. A persons right to privacy means that Stalking (either by civilians or police officers in unsanctioned operations) is forbidden, even if takes place in a public space. Recording it all would only make it worse, private matters such as going to a clinic, place of worship, councellor or less than reputable but legal venues will be recorded.
----
All the eyes in the world means nothing if they aren't writing down what they see. It's one thing to be in the eyes of strangers who see you as a stranger and another to be in the eyes of recording cameras or Stasi.

OT. This will sovle nothing and have no impact what so ever on anything but adding 5 minutes of planning to any act of planned criminal behaviour.

post #20 of 53 Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 153

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page