[nbcnews] Supreme Court backs student in dispute over used textbook sales - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 129 Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindrage606 View Post

Not necessarily books but just overall net cost.

The old UK vs US college argument, etc is just silly. Go live in the UK, get a citizenship+other reqs if you want college paid for and stay there. Its all about regional degrees and both are world class western degrees. I think USA degrees and subsequent costs are a reflection of a capitalistic society, likewise a government paid for degree is reflection of the UK society.

LOL what? College is free in the UK? I...what...how...when...I will be working for another ten years to pay off my loans.

...I don't know what to say. I've never heard that before. Right now I do not even expect my children to attend college. At least not a traditional college. Perhaps some online college (which are getting pretty good these days so in the future they might be standard). However, my guess is that a regular State University is going to cost about $50,000 a semester by the time my kids are collage age.

OK, I had to look this up...I think I am going to be sick

MINNESOTA OVERCLOCKERS | The Climate Phenomenon
If it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER!!!devil.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 129 Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
4387 point(s) total

Liked: 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

LOL what? College is free in the UK? I...what...how...when...I will be working for another ten years to pay off my loans.

...I don't know what to say. I've never heard that before. Right now I do not even expect my children to attend college. At least not a traditional college. Perhaps some online college (which are getting pretty good these days so in the future they might be standard). However, my guess is that a regular State University is going to cost about $50,000 a semester by the time my kids are collage age.
However, the money has to come from somewhere.... UK pays higher taxes overall than US.

UK income tax is 40%.
VAT is 20%.... like a sales tax everything deemed non-essential.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #23 of 129 Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Apple Enthusiast

Liked: 153
So does it have to be produced overseas?

So if a company doesn't want a 3rd (un-autorized) party reselling their products they just need to make it in the US?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

However, the money has to come from somewhere.... UK pays higher taxes overall than US.

UK income tax is 40%.
VAT is 20%.... like a sales tax everything deemed non-essential.

We pay taxes too. It just doesn't go to the queen. lachen.gif

Education is a privilege? In today's world?

Some mindsets boggle me.

Currently on Hiatus
1nf3ction is a BOSS!
BF3 id: Nocturin3
Disclaimer: IMHO; If you take it otherwise, your doing it wrong.
#OccupyAMD

Warnig: lulz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher go_quote.gif

That's a good questions, my 3 female room mates use the bathroom upstairs, I just use the shower downstairs, we might have to use the trunk of my car instead, I know that's sterile and has rubber mats and walls in it haha.
Also, more updates biggrin.gif We need to keep this thread somewhat on topic haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude go_quote.gif

Yo dawg I heard you like computers in computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can use your computer while...thumb.gif
go_quote.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 129 Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Just Win Baby!

Liked: 1156
This clearly not Hardware News, nor is it even 'Technology' news of any kind ... but I'm moving it there just on the grounds that lots of people are talking about it (instead of deleting it, which is probably what I'm supposed to do wink.gif)

post #25 of 129 Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 39
I have a feeling, Colleges / Universities, will eventually "force" a student to pay for a book... (I know they already do that)...

What I am referring to is, forcing students (before class begins) to "purchase" a brand new book out of tuition, in other words add that $650 dollar book charge into your overall class / semester amount owed.

so whether you purchase a book off of ebay or not, you still "buy" a book through the institute you attend.

I never had to do the above, but I know a couple of people who go to different schools have the above or something similar every semester.

it's highway robbery.

This case won the battle, but it most certainly did not win the war.
voodoo08 likes this.

"The value of achievement lies in the achieving."
~ Albert Einstein

post #26 of 129 Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

This clearly not Hardware News, nor is it even 'Technology' news of any kind ... but I'm moving it there just on the grounds that lots of people are talking about it (instead of deleting it, which is probably what I'm supposed to do wink.gif)

Well I think the ruling has a lot of bearing on many technological issues. When you get right down to it is there that much of a difference between a copyright on paper or a copyright on data? If I digitize the paper copy the copyright is still valid and must be adhered to...if I print out the code of the software the copyright is still valid and must be adhered to. Now this ruling held that the first sale rule on said copyrights for paper products. I cannot see how this ruling could not have an effect on software sales in the very near future.

MINNESOTA OVERCLOCKERS | The Climate Phenomenon
If it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER!!!devil.gif
post #27 of 129 Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
News Fiend

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindrage606 View Post

Not necessarily books but just overall net cost.

The old UK vs US college argument, etc is just silly. Go live in the UK, get a citizenship+other reqs if you want college paid for and stay there. Its all about regional degrees and both are world class western degrees. I think USA degrees and subsequent costs are a reflection of a capitalistic society, likewise a government paid for degree is reflection of the UK society.

I don't see it that way at all, because if it was true representation, then college tuition costs wouldn't be increasing at the rate they are. If this keeps up, it's going to get to the point where it's nearly impossible for the average person to pay for college and I'm only thinking about state schools at this point. Private institutions are in a category on their own.

post #28 of 129 Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

No. Different publishers.

Even if it were different publishers (which it wasn't in the case of John Wiley & Sons vs. Supap Kirtsaeng) as long as the content is identical the price discrepancy cannot last given the Supreme Court's ruling. Now anyone is free to import and resell low priced English editions from second and third-world markets. Obviously the publishers will not want to be undercut in their high priced markets, thus their option is to either pull out of the low price market, pull out of the high price market, or match prices in both markets.

Quote:
When Congress enacted the Copyright Act in 1976, lawmakers intended that publishers, moviemakers and other copyright owners would be able to control where their products would be sold and at what price, Sims said.

“You can distribute in the United States at the price appropriate for the U.S. market, and you can distribute less- expensive copies in India that may not have all the bells and whistles,” he said. “If they can’t protect those markets that way, what will happen is either they won’t sell abroad or they won’t be able to sell in the United States.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-26/how-supap-kirtsaeng-s-textbooks-idea-led-to-supreme-court.html

Basically the Supreme Court just opened a huge can of worms and the fallout is going to be a rather large shakeup in prices of goods in developing economies. There's really no other logical outcome to this.

Quote:
In a dissent for herself and Justices Anthony Kennedy and Antonin Scalia, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said the court was ignoring Congress’ aim of protecting “copyright owners against the unauthorized importation of low-priced, foreign-made copies of their copyrighted works.”

The movie and music businesses, software makers and other manufacturers worry that the decision allows unauthorized sales to undercut their businesses.

“The ruling for Kirtsaeng will send a tremor through the publishing industries, harming both U.S. businesses and consumers around the world. Today’s decision will create a strong disincentive for publishers to market different versions and sell copies at different prices in different regions. The practical result may very well be that consumers and students abroad will see dramatic price increases or entirely lose their access to valuable U.S. resources created specifically for them,” said Keith Kupferschmid, general counsel for the Software & Information Industry Association.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-says-copyright-law-does-not-protect-publishers-in-discount-re-sales/2013/03/19/68b8afd4-909f-11e2-9173-7f87cda73b49_story.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechati View Post

say goodbye to cheap international editions of any books soon... say hello to price increase in 3...2...1...

+REP for critical thinking skills. thumb.gif

Currently Playing
Iron Brigade (Now with Steamworks!) | Diablo III (6WW+2IK BK Barbarian) | Elite Dangerous (I <3 Rhino HOTAS)

Looking Forward To
Oculus Rift CV1 | Galak-Z | Star Citizen | Bedlam (Backed) | The Flame in the Flood (Backed)

Recently Finished
Tomb Raider | Metro - Last Light | Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon | Costume Quest 2 |
post #29 of 129 Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM
"FineWine®" just means that it's currently swill.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 406
The Supreme Court chose the lesser of 2 evils in this case. While the ruling is undoubtedly damaging to publishers / manufacturers of goods with different price scales in various regions, the consequences of ruling the opposite way would be worse overall. Hell, the Deputy Solicitor General (the government attorney who argued in front of the Supreme Court against Kirtsaeng) admitted as such during oral arguments last autumn.

post #30 of 129 Old 03-19-2013, 12:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

*wipes sweat from brow* I have been doing this for a long time. Glad that is off my back. biggrin.gif

So has my wife.......

I actually didn't realize it was against the law. I actually felt it was OK to sell a $400 text book she used for 9 weeks for $200, especially considering the schools offer to buy them back and then sells them again.

Frankly, I think the entire monopoly on textbooks should be illegal, my wife has spent thousands on books already and she still has a couple more years to go. It is ridiculous.

post-flame-small.gif Member of some OCN clubs - Those links would be here if I had more room post-flame-small.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page