[CNN] Game of Thrones premiere sets piracy record - Page 20 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #191 of 237 Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*
 
farmdve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianC View Post

Wow. Amazing, if only they actually watched it to give the Producers the support.
Not to be a douche or anything, but when something get's aired on TV for the first time, there is quite a lot of time before it goes out on DVD. Basically, there isn't really any other way to watch it.

For anybody wondering why I have the sig rig but complain about money issues, the only reason I could afford it was because of Bitcoin, but I don't have an infinite amount of bitcoins and would rather hold on to them for "dark days" than spend them instantly on the item I ask about in future threads.
farmdve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #192 of 237 Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM
 
perfectblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac20 View Post


I dont really get your point. How does this prove the "evil-ness"? If anything they're trending towards netflix, and will probably offer some sort of online only service for solely their original content.

you're just proving your ignorance on the subject with this statement. the cable companies hate netflix and have never really supported it. do you have netflix? have you noticed how long it takes them to get new shows/new seasons, after the boxed dvd editions are out? same with hulu, more or less. the biggest enemy of both of these services has always been the cable companies.

"the evilness" of the cable companies is that i have to spend $60 for cable tv and a bunch of channels in order to add hbo go for $15. yet in europe i can just pay $15 for hbo go, because there are no us cable companies there demanding their-underserved-cut. it's basically forced price-fixing/bundling due to their monopolistic position. the cable companies hate the idea of online tv because they could not then force you to pay for services and media you don't want

"i'm a general not a pokemon or something!"

"The fact that she's single is the real Crimea."

"Hippsterism is the offspring of the spoilt and narcissistic preachy hippie movement of the 1960s & 70s mixed together with the 'ironic' grunge Gen Y mores of the early 90s. Basically it involves dressing like a prat to show how self-aware you are."
perfectblade is offline  
post #193 of 237 Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Programmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 6,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac20 View Post

I'm just wondering how you plan on creating shows that cost millions of dollars per episode and making them free and without ads? And keeping the quality up to what PEOPLE (ie MYSELF) are willing to pay for it?

Don't think you've thought of something they haven't. They know all of this. Once again: they are still making $. Lots of it. Enough to continue producing the most expensive show in history thus far (trumps Rome, the previously most expensive show per episode ever made, which was also an HBO product!).

Over 30 million people subscribe to HBO. They're doing something right. That something? Providing good, quality programs that people WANT to watch. Myself included.

Hey, I'm talking in general here and I'm just pointing out what is known.

You are willing to pay and so are 30 million other people. But I'd wager that many, many more than that figure are not. 1 million people were downloading this simultaneously. From one source that was being monitored by TorrentFreak. What about private, invite-only trackers and torrent sites as well as HTTP link sites? I'll bet the figure is closer to 30 million who downloaded it illegally... And do you think all 30 million people subscribing to HBO watch GoT? I don't... making it quite possible that more people downloaded this than watched it legally.

All I'm saying is that the competition to HBO subscription (or any other kind of service like this) is a free service of good quality - and that's very, very hard to compete with. While Netflix, et al, are great. You don't keep the content yourself, either.

What I'm saying is that though the legal avenues are there and appealing... it's not as appealing as free.
Rubers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #194 of 237 Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Programmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 6,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

you're just proving your ignorance on the subject with this statement. the cable companies hate netflix and have never really supported it. do you have netflix? have you noticed how long it takes them to get new shows/new seasons, after the boxed dvd editions are out? same with hulu, more or less. the biggest enemy of both of these services has always been the cable companies.

"the evilness" of the cable companies is that i have to spend $60 for cable tv and a bunch of channels in order to add hbo go for $15. yet in europe i can just pay $15 for hbo go, because there are no us cable companies there demanding their-underserved-cut. it's basically forced price-fixing/bundling due to their monopolistic position. the cable companies hate the idea of online tv because they could not then force you to pay for services and media you don't want

And everyone can avoid all that and pirate... it makes pirating much more appealing then it should be.

All these things work AGAINST content producers. I agree entirely that cable companies and networks are their own enemy in this.
Rubers is offline  
post #195 of 237 Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM
WaterCooler
 
jtom320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by prava View Post

It's not even ilegal in my country, AND it comes some time late, AND it doesn't come in original version AND I have to pay for it (the only pro being that I'd be supporting the studio.. but I can do so buying merchandise, and through other means). Nobody has ever been prosecuted here for downloading anything on the internet (unless you make money off of it, of course).

The fact of the matter is that companies should work with the law in their hands, and not against it. The same can be said about DRM on plenty of other content: why should I bother to pay, when I'm buying a bugged product, that might not even work, and that has a stupid DRM feature on it that the internet version hasn't... and that has to be paid for? Do you understand how incentives work?

Yes, studios need to get their money back, but I'm not stupid. In the US and some other countries you risk a lot by downloading stuff from the internet... but, on some other countries, you simply don't. You need to factor all the pro's and con's there are: I'm willing to pay for everything I use, but I'm not when I have free alternatives AND the paying version is actually WORSE than the free one (oh, the irony!). Heck, my brother bought Xcom: enemy unkown and every now and then the game randomly crahses, now what? It happens to me with several games (all the games I play are original) that I own... that sometimes they don't want to work (related to TAGES and some other DRM crap). What do I do when I can't play a product I paid for?

Some people think that everything is black or white, that "you are a thieve that steals from others" (to be precise, nothing is actually stolen, though) when we are the ones being robbed many times. If I pay for a drill, and it doesn't work.. I go to the shop, and they will give me another one. If I get tired of it, I can sell it... on the other hand, If I buy a game and it doesn't work... I have to swallow it, and should I wanted to sell it, I wouldn't be able to. Talk about things being fair.

Like I said I don't think you are neccesarily an awful person if you pirate a TV show. But the fact of the matter is that existing doesn't entitle you to watch a television show and if you are going to pirate it effectively you are stealing whether a physical item is involved or not.
jtom320 is offline  
post #196 of 237 Old 04-05-2013, 11:49 AM
PC Gaming Master Race
 
Stealth Pyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurifer View Post

I'm still surprised the producers don't seem to be upset about it.

Bleh, I can't imagine the producers really make that much money off people having a Showtime/etc. subscription. I'm willing to bet these "pirates" have subscriptions to these channels, but just miss the show during its airing and/or just want to download it in HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Stealth Pyros is offline  
post #197 of 237 Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
PC Gamer
 
xentrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nor'Carrolinuh
Posts: 1,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac20 View Post

HBO is actually subscribed to by millions, and is one of the top premium channels. I believe its #1 or #2. Definitely in the top 5.

HBO doesn't care because they've already figured out how to make a butt-load of money from game of thrones. That plan starts with getting as many people to watch as possible, whether they do so legally, or illegally. One of their secrets? Giving the consumer RESPECT. They do not shove ads down viewers throats, they do not make bullcrap programs. The real key: they make legit stuff that people WANT to watch. The entire world has "GoT-mania". All they need to keep doing is making GOOD shows, and they'll be straight for many decades more. HBO does not need ad revenue as a result: they have something everyone wants, and people pay for it.

To foreigners (person from canada who had good point): HBO is beginning to offer HBOGO only services in countries outside of the USA. Idk when it will be to Canada, or whatever country you're in, but it has begun. HBO is going to be a semi netflix in the next couple of years. They have seen the road ahead, and know how to walk it.

HBO is genius when it comes to its original programming. Everything they touch is gold. They pioneered the way with the first ever premium show, Oz, followed up with The Sopranos/Wire (arguably the two greatest shows in the history of television), then Entourage, and now they have GoT/Boardwalk. I'm not even going to list the slew of other amazing shows that they have created, because there is no need.

Everyone loves chicken. They're doing fine.

^ This... Someone give this man a cold glass of beer.

xentrox is offline  
post #198 of 237 Old 04-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Overclocker
 
littledonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIMP88 View Post

The actual topic, and not risk a thread closing... Duh. ha

The original story is reporting an uncontroverted fact. The uncontroverted fact is not worthy of much discussion - no one is arguing that the episode was the most pirated ever. The only compelling area of discussion is the subject matter - piracy, why it happens, why it should be legal, why it shouldn't be legal. Those topics generate discussion and are very natural tangents for this thread to take.

People who constantly complain about threads going off-topic need to ask themselves if the original topic is worth debating, especially if the alternative is less forum participation. If the thread gets locked, what's the harm? I don't want to come here to only read news stories. I want to discuss the underlying social, economic, and political issues. It's beyond me why an ad revenue driven website would want anything else.

littledonny is offline  
post #199 of 237 Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Overclocker
 
littledonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I think piracy due to lack of availability through legitimate means serves a very important function in the market. If there are customers willing to pay, but who can't and decide to pirate, then the producers in the market will eventually take notice. One of the things I've learned from this thread is that people pirate for many reasons, and not all of them are due to lack of willingness to pay market price. The only way for the producers to improve availability is for there to be real, tangible evidence of uncaptured potential profit in the market. The bigger that figure gets, the more there will be at stake for the content providers, and the faster availability will improve.

littledonny is offline  
post #200 of 237 Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM
1.3ghz
 
prava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ibiza, Spain.
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

Like I said I don't think you are neccesarily an awful person if you pirate a TV show. But the fact of the matter is that existing doesn't entitle you to watch a television show and if you are going to pirate it effectively you are stealing whether a physical item is involved or not.

Actually, you can't steal something that doesn't exist in your country. I won't bother to watch something if it ain't in english. It's like cinema: it isn't in english, so I don't bother... but, later on, I seldom buy movies and I rent some to watch at home (IN ENGLISH).

Like I said, piracy is not a price problem, not most of the time. Its a service one: the irony comes when the "free stuff" is actually BETTER, is more convenient and, obviously, is free. If companies want to combat piracy (they have the right to do so, since it's their property anyway) they need to understand how people thinks, and how things work.

It's like DRM: does anybody here think that DRM's help? They simply don't.
a) DRM has a cost.
b) DRM will be a hindrance to your legit customers.
c) The pirates will still get the product without DRM AND free.

Lesson? The legit customer gets to pay the price... which is STUPID. On the other hand, though, we have the games that require complex always-on systems that make pirating almost impossible, but...
a) They have proven to be a disaster many times (Simcity and Diablo 3)
b) They also put a hindrance on the legit customers.
c) They cost A LOT OF MONEY
d) They create a terrible corporate image.
e) They don't guarantee any kind of sales.

All in all, the only real things of doing business is...
a) Show to your customers that you care.
b) Don't put any DRM **** on your games.
c) If the game doesn't sell.. blame yourself, not the others.

Life is terribly simple this days.

----

Regarding Got: would I pay to see every episode on airing at a decent quality? Sure I would. Can I? Nope.
prava is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off