[IUK] Snowden says, "Smartphones can be hacked into with just one text message" - Page 12 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #111 of 153 Old 10-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Too Mean To Mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

Snowden leaked hundreds of thousands of classified documents.

Surely he must have some proof to back up his wild clickbait claims? No? It doesn't matter to you does it?

So much for the scientific method. Betcha you're a George Norrey fan. lol
You don't know much about all this, do you?
Snowden wasn't a total anarchist about these leaks. He could not comb through hundreds of thousands of classified documents himself to determine which ones were reasonably safe to release to the public as "proof" for your "scientific method." That's where Wikileaks came in. Even if he has supporting evidence for this readily available, it might not be feasible to release it. And if he doesn't have a document detailing this, I'm still inclined to listen to what he has to say. He worked as a contractor for the NSA; if there are things that he became aware of during that time which aren't included in the documents he acquired while there, I'm still inclined to hear it.

There have been an incredible amount of meaningful leaks with supporting proof from Wikileaks, since then. As a direct result of this, Congress has been able to scrutinize things like the NSA phone record agenda that was secret to even them.

Your original statement, that he was not a credible source of information, is absurd. He has credibility. The man, regardless of his intent, has proven to be a reasonably reliable source of information about what these secret agencies are doing. Congress followed his lead, in the face of outright denial from the NSA, and eventually found it to be true. If that doesn't denote credibility, I don't know what does.

No one is saying the man's word is gospel. However, considering what he has proven already, it would be idiotic to totally disregard him unless he's waving the supporting document in our faces while he's talking.

Why you would so fervently deny a claim of his, especially when it's so feasible, is beyond me. The NSA has been caught concealing their infringement upon our constitutional right to reasonable expectation to privacy, by Snowden. They lied about it when confronted by Congress, and a further audit revealed that lie to the governing body empowered to supervise them.
Under the circumstances, don't you think that it may be the NSA who is deserving of your severe skepticism, considering they are the ones who have a clear history of outright lying to satisfy their own agenda?
Rookie1337 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 153 Old 10-08-2015, 05:15 PM
sudo su rm -rf /

Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

Snowden leaked hundreds of thousands of classified documents.

Surely he must have some proof to back up his wild clickbait claims? No? It doesn't matter to you does it?

So much for the scientific method. Betcha you're a George Norrey fan. lol
What does it matter if he endangered me personally? He endangered me personally as much as he helped protect you from the NSA. That much is truth.

My last statement? I see you're not up on theoretical physics. Research the terms holographic universe and gravitational torsion. Thanx.

What "proof" does he need to have when the programs have been acknowledged and the capabilities documented? Continue ad homenim and change of topic to support your narrative much?

Here's the question, “If I am traitor, who did I betray? I gave all my information to the American public, to American journalists who are reporting on American issues. If they see that as treason, I think people really need to consider who they think they’re working for. The public is supposed to be their boss, not their enemy. " -Edward Snowden

Sure the journalist might have screwed up on occasion in dissemination but how is that his actions?
post #113 of 153 Old 10-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihilOC View Post

If you are engaging in an investigation against an individual, or organization, that has been credibly linked to illegal activity and you wish to ascertain whether or not they are genuinely engaged in those activities how would you go about this without watching them?

Investigations, by their very nature, are voyeuristic. What you are proposing as an alternative is the outright abolition of police investigation.

Why don't they go about getting cellphone records from the phone company instead... or seize the phone? Installing spyware on a phone just seems an amateurish way to go about it, not to mention devious, especially if it turns out the person has not done anything illegal, their property has just been compromised, not so with subpoena for phone records.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 153 Old 10-08-2015, 05:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

Good thing I have a tracfone tongue.gif

Tracfone automatically downloads and opens text messages on the home screen without giving you the option to not open the ones from people you don't know. This a security risk and something needs to be done about it, but they don't care, so in my opinion, they are catering to hackers, not the user.

But it could all be part of the plan to allow any government agency to hack your phone, and you can't do anything to stop it.

There’s also something out there now called "stubborn trojan". Look into that too.

It was a joke...

Trac[k]Fone

Get it ? tongue.gif

4930K 4.3GHz 1.3v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + EVGA Hybrid
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | EK Predator 280
Logitech G600 | G Pro | G440 | G13s | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom made headphones | TEAC-UD501+Wyrd+Passive Preamp | Emotiva Mini-X A100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | Mediasonic ProBox 8: 7x Seagate 4TB 1x WD 3TB
post #115 of 153 Old 10-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 248
Quote:

It was a joke...

Trac[k]Fone

Get it ? tongue.gif

It's no joke when they can remotely enable data usage in order to do their spying.
post #116 of 153 Old 10-08-2015, 05:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 44
I don't recall having employed government to take our rights away let lone to spy on us.

As for smartphones? really, phones has an intelligence now? You kidding me, phones are nothing more than tools stop trying to give it either intelligence or personality, as in I-phone.

But I digress.

post #117 of 153 Old 10-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 24
Isn't it weird that we're getting our underwear in a bunch over privacy, while posting on a public forum with usernames that could be easily linked back to us? Privacy is dead. The only way to keep things to yourself is to keep things to yourself.

post #118 of 153 Old 10-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Intel / NVIDIA Enthusiast

Liked: 463
Quote:

Why don't they go about getting cellphone records from the phone company instead... or seize the phone? Installing spyware on a phone just seems an amateurish way to go about it, not to mention devious, especially if it turns out the person has not done anything illegal, their property has just been compromised, not so with subpoena for phone records.

Why get phone records, when you can listen in on calls, read their texts, emails, and watch them live. ~NSA motto

post #119 of 153 Old 10-08-2015, 05:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 257
Quote:

It's no joke when they can remotely enable data usage in order to do their spying.

I would give you a serious reply, but I don't work for the NSA, so I don't know how they do things over there and if there are any procedures or clearances needed to do something like this.

Then again, the only thing that has changed between now and a couple days ago is that this news bit was released. They were monitoring us before (I think monitoring is a more applicable word than spying), and they will continue to do so. I don't see this changing one bit either. It looks like this will be something we have to live with. Seeing as I am not a national threat or not involved in anything that would risk the well-being of the US, I doubt the NSA cares about my personal information. But, I don't work for the NSA, so I can't really speak for them.

But I guess in the end, the big question is whether you would like to have little to no privacy in exchange for national security or the opposite. If the monitoring the NSA does could help prevent a bombing in my neighborhood, putting my family at risk, then I would be okay with that. Some people hold onto the 4th amendment more than others.

I'll stop here, seeing as every thread that has Snowden or NSA in the title always gets crazy tongue.gif

4930K 4.3GHz 1.3v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + EVGA Hybrid
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | EK Predator 280
Logitech G600 | G Pro | G440 | G13s | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom made headphones | TEAC-UD501+Wyrd+Passive Preamp | Emotiva Mini-X A100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | Mediasonic ProBox 8: 7x Seagate 4TB 1x WD 3TB
post #120 of 153 Old 10-08-2015, 06:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 44
Quote:

I would give you a serious reply, but I don't work for the NSA, so I don't know how they do things over there and if there are any procedures or clearances needed to do something like this.

Then again, the only thing that has changed between now and a couple days ago is that this news bit was released. They were monitoring us before (I think monitoring is a more applicable word than spying), and they will continue to do so. I don't see this changing one bit either. It looks like this will be something we have to live with. Seeing as I am not a national threat or not involved in anything that would risk the well-being of the US, I doubt the NSA cares about my personal information. But, I don't work for the NSA, so I can't really speak for them.

But I guess in the end, the big question is whether you would like to have little to no privacy in exchange for national security or the opposite. If the monitoring the NSA does could help prevent a bombing in my neighborhood, putting my family at risk, then I would be okay with that. Some people hold onto the 4th amendment more than others.

I'll stop here, seeing as every thread that has Snowden or NSA in the title always gets crazy tongue.gif

The nation is the people of our respective countries. Government is not the nation. Government is the administrative arm employed by us to look after our best interests and to handle infrastructure. In case it has escaped some of you, government is waging a war on us! This means that threat to national security (nation = the people remember) comes from our respective governments. If you have a government that enacts legislation that is designed to make it impossible for you to hold them accountable for their actions that is not only a breech of trust and abuse of office. It is treason. People need to understand this moving forward.

It's all backwards you see.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page