[ArsTechnica] CenturyLink charges data overage fees, may disconnect “excessive” users - Page 7 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 08-02-2016, 09:27 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

Hmm, that wouldn't be bad at all considering my ping on my home Wi-Fi is around 40ms (still bad, I know). I did a ton of research last night after learning about these devices and settled on buying the Extollo LANSocket 1500 (Amazon Link) as it had the best reviews all around and uses the newest technology inside. As far as networking equipment goes the starter kit (two devices) was fairly cheap at $90. So, if the lag or connection reliability is too bad, then I will just mark them down as a loss and go back to plan A of re-doing the wiring in the apartment myself.

Thanks for bringing these "powerline network adapters" to my attention though!

- Insan1tyOne offtopic.gif

Just a little update here for anyone that cares, I got the Extollo LANSocket 1500's in today and they are working like an absolute charm! I am seeing my full connection speed of 40 Mbps / 5 Mbps and an average ping of about ~35. Now that I know the connection speeds are holding up I will move on to long-term reliability testing and see how they fare in terms of connection reliability. Thanks again to @awdrifter for bringing these great little devices to my attention!

- Insan1tyOne thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 08-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Security Sleuth

Liked: 17
Comcast can get away with this because they have fairly reliable service if it's set up right, and pretty fast too.

Centurylink trying that crap is like if Toyota started charging $120,000 for the Corolla and charged you $1/mile on a vehicle you own.

Not gonna work.

post #63 of 67 Old 08-03-2016, 12:57 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

Just a little update here for anyone that cares, I got the Extollo LANSocket 1500's in today and they are working like an absolute charm! I am seeing my full connection speed of 40 Mbps / 5 Mbps and an average ping of about ~35. Now that I know the connection speeds are holding up I will move on to long-term reliability testing and see how they fare in terms of connection reliability. Thanks again to @awdrifter for bringing these great little devices to my attention!

- Insan1tyOne thumb.gif

Cool, glad it works well for you too. I have my powerline network adapters for almost a year now, no problems so far.

99.999999% of the world listens to autotuned pop singers. If you are part of the 0.000001% who listen to the future goddess of music Hatsune Miku, copy and paste this into your sig. cool.gif
Vocaloid Fanclub!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 67 Old 08-03-2016, 02:41 AM
Out of whack, but not obsolete

Liked: 530
Instead of expanding capacity and marketshare competitively, improving technology, growing and progressing, we get data caps and threats of service disconnect. Just because you're not a good user and are using "more than your fair share" of the service access you pay for.

Someone close to me rewrote an excerpt to show an extreme of accepting this behavior.
Quote:
CenturyLink food supply INC, didn't answer our question about network capacity, but provided a response, as follows: "CenturyLink food supply INC

is conducting usage & consumption-based billing trials in Yakima, WA, to allow customers to control their food consumption & usage. This gives

our customers proactive management of their food consumption & usage and ensures they are being billed fairly. Very few customers will

see any change in what they pay for food consumption & usage, as customers will only be an additional amount if they exceed

the food consumption & usage allotment limit established by governmental calorie count per individual. CenturyLink will analyze the data from this trial

to determine next steps and make decisions regarding further rollout of usage-based billing for food consumption & usage."
post #65 of 67 Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post

Comcast can get away with this because they have fairly reliable service if it's set up right, and pretty fast too.

Centurylink trying that crap is like if Toyota started charging $120,000 for the Corolla and charged you $1/mile on a vehicle you own.

Not gonna work.

Where I live, Comcast and CenturyLink are the only two major shops in town. So CenturyLink absolutely will get away with this because they effectively have a duopoly.

post #66 of 67 Old 08-03-2016, 10:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 38
Send a message via Skype™ to CyberWolf575
Two things;

First, I wonder if this applies to their 100Mbit connection?

Second, with how badly they throttle Netflix it makes it impossible to stream anything at higher than 480p. Let alone utilize my 4k TV.
Edit: To make it clear, I pay for the 100Mbit down with them and all I get when streaming Netflix is ~2 Megabytes down. Which translates in to 16Mbit down.
Where as at work, where we have Comcast at 50mbit down, when I watch Netflix I get the full 6 Megabytes which translates in to the full 50mbit that we pay for.

post-flame-small.gif [Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti Owner's Club] post-flame-small.gif
Reality is boring, fantasy is out of reach, dreams are what we have at night, so what do we do during the day?
post #67 of 67 Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Security Sleuth

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post

Where I live, Comcast and CenturyLink are the only two major shops in town. So CenturyLink absolutely will get away with this because they effectively have a duopoly.

Comcast would be better than centurylink IMO

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page