[DailyMail.co.uk] Security company claims Australian bandwidth costs SEVENTEEN times more than Europe thanks to Telstra and Optus - Page 5 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #41 of 74 Old 08-20-2016, 08:59 PM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXcrispyXI View Post

yea have been for the past 4years on cable and have 500gb a month.

Yeah I've been on this same crap net for 8 years, although I've been with Internode for the last 3 years and while it's expensive I get a static IP and unlimited uploads (I run game servers for friends) and I don't have drop outs every other hour like with Telstra and TPG so I suppose I cant complain to much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragneel View Post

If you move to Mildura, there's uncongested TransACT HFC, when I was there I paid $80/mth for 100/20 + 1TB cap, thing is, actual speeds were almost 300/100.

Speed isn't to much of an issue for me, give me a solid 25/5 unlimited plan with static IP and unlimited uploads and I'll be good, in saying that full 100/100 would be wubsmiley.gif.

Folding Points
Build Logs:
My Humble SM5, Humble SM5 MK2, Yet Another X2M NAS.
OCN Clubs (Click to show)Quotes I Like (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator go_quote.gif

... I never expecting tubing to be a science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman go_quote.gif

Life is a Science. Tubing is Life. thumb.gif
~Ceadder smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannocanis go_quote.gif

PFFF YOU NEVAR PLAYD HEAVILY MODDED SKYRIM IT NEEDS 64 GIGS RAM AND AN OVERCLOCKED I7 4960 PLAU TRIPLE SLI TITANS HURRR

lmao couldn't help it tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca go_quote.gif

Well, you continue enjoying your on board sound. <3

Continue EQ'ing your 15 dollar skullcandies into audio perfection. <3.

Because..you know...anything else is just "different" not better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 74 Old 08-20-2016, 09:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 576
Same problems in Canada where crony capitalism; i.e. Bell Canada keeps petitioning the government to block all other competition to keep a strangle hold on high prices.

Capitalism? Far from it.
CasualCat likes this.

-Guide to 1st Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...ing-guide
-Guide to 2nd Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...e-fan-mod
Vote for sustainability with your dollar!
post #43 of 74 Old 08-21-2016, 12:41 AM
733mhz

Liked: 10
Damn, sorry guys... I helped build the satellites for Optus. Though I can say that we got another satellite for broadband coming really soon. Hopefully it will help out our Australian buddies soon! Should launch later this year though I don't know how long it takes to be operational. thumb.gif

sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R Fan Club skull.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 74 Old 08-21-2016, 12:51 AM
733mhz

Wait NBN gets 100/100?! I help build that satellite! I had no idea it would be fast than my Comcast cable internet!!! Soon we will launch the second satellite to help service Austrillia.

post #45 of 74 Old 08-21-2016, 06:18 AM

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpower45 View Post

Wait NBN gets 100/100?! I help build that satellite! I had no idea it would be fast than my Comcast cable internet!!! Soon we will launch the second satellite to help service Austrillia.

Certainly not on satellite. NBNco is rolling out a mix of tech, 100/40 or 100/100 service is available on FTTP, FTTN, HFC and Fixed Wireless.

The satellite plans are abysmal, max bandwidth of 25/5 costing up to like $200 for 100GB~ data cap.
post #46 of 74 Old 08-21-2016, 12:43 PM
733mhz

That sounds more like it. Haha sorry prices for tech in Australia are so high weirdsmiley.gif

post #47 of 74 Old 08-21-2016, 01:04 PM

Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejuggalo View Post

Not only is our internet expensive it's completely fubar, the copper lines have been bought and sold between the government and Telstra for god knows how many years, the current "National Broadband Network" is an utter joke and a massive waste of money (talking 80 billion) and is setting us back more than 20 years, it's mostly fibre to the node (look it up),because replacing all the copper would be to expensive rolleyes.gif, under Telstra and Optus internet is expensive but unlike a lot of countries at least we have plenty of ISP's to choose from although most are still pretty expensive and or have horrible service.

Our communications minister Malcolm Turnbull who is now our Prime Minister (kicked Tony Abbott out basically) has no clue what the hell he's doing and he's run our communications into the ground along with many many other things, so I'm not surprised our internet costs more than other countries.

Ugh fiber to the node is what we have in Canada, it's not much better than just having copper, because copper to homes bottlenecks bandwidth.
post #48 of 74 Old 08-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDeath View Post

Ugh fiber to the node is what we have in Canada, it's not much better than just having copper, because copper to homes bottlenecks bandwidth.
Assuming that every house is individually wired and tith DOCSIS 3.1 its hardly a bottleneck:
Quote:
DOCSIS 3.1—10,000Mbps Down; 1,000Mbps Up
http://www.speedtest.net/articles/what-is-docsis/

/EDIT
Just checked my cable modem, it supports docsis 3.0 but it seems my ISP is lazy and they still using 2.0:
info.PNG
rf_status.PNG
post #49 of 74 Old 08-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Not just position, SUPERposition!

Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

Pft this is the same thing in America. Its called capitalism nothing new here.

Heres an example. For the first year, you can get fiber tv/landline/internet for about 19.99€ for the first year then its 38.99€ with 100/100 up/down. 500/200 will cost you 33.99€ then 52.99€. In the US i was paying about 3x that for basic coax service. That was about 30/5.

Europe is ridiculously cheap for broadband service, and now that they pass laws that most major cities will be 100% fiber everyone is getting fiber.
No fiber here and it won't happen either. But they are running experiments with LTE for our rural areas. (hardly rural I'm 10 minutes by bike of the nearest 10K resident town (city center) that has fiber)
Cable company (yes KPN is the only one service this area) know I will pay the same for their 8/1 Mbps because there is no alternative redface.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post

Same problems in Canada where crony capitalism; i.e. Bell Canada keeps petitioning the government to block all other competition to keep a strangle hold on high prices.

Capitalism? Far from it.
That's big government for you (I feel for you, Green party Trudeau seems like a nightmare)
No competition is really the worst.
post #50 of 74 Old 08-21-2016, 01:24 PM

Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

No fiber here and it won't happen either. But they are running experiments with LTE for our rural areas. (hardly rural I'm 10 minutes by bike of the nearest 10K resident town (city center) that has fiber)
Cable companies know I will pay the same for their 8/1 Mbps because there is no alternative here redface.gif

I think LTE is pretty unreliable, especially if you're far from the towers but it is what it is. Everything is more expensive in the netherlands especially electricity from what ive been told.

Europe is so far behind in networking its pretty sad haha. From what ive been told though is that France has had fiber laid out underground for YEARS but something happened between then and now.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page