Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #161 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So sad to hear this news , it felt like we are going backwards instead of pushing forward :/

'' Sky its the Limit ""

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 12:54 PM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth777 View Post

Actually, what I said was is that they are trolling, and that is against the TOS:

http://www.overclock.net/a/terms-of-service

And the moderators are not able to keep up with the trolls, therefore I think it should be locked. Besides, both sides have made any constructive argument that they will ever make, any further commentary is entirely redundant.

I respectfully disagree.

This is my own opinion, but the better course of action would be to see what new developments can come of this. A few trolls trying to force a topic from being discussed is a form of censorship that the ISP’s want. I would much rather have the opportunity to learn more about this from posters more familiar on the topic than I am even if they are far and few between all the other opinions on here including my own.
post #163 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 01:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedld9 View Post

I was referring to heavy lifting of the various video services (source, on-demand, PPV, etc). Perhaps it's a difference of where we worked and how it was designed, but there was significant hardware well north of the CMTS. This was done in two places (active/hot spare) only and was not geographically local. I can say that is not how I would have designed it but...it is what it is. smile.gif

The other Head-end hardware you are talking about is sort of what I was referring to in my ** at the bottom, I left it out due to length of the conversation already. Your decoders, encoders, dishes, and LNBs all do have costs associated to them, but they are minimal compared to a fully populated CMTS. Hell, unless Fox and other networks have stopped, they usually sent out the decoders themselves, relieving the provider of the upfront cost of that.

It was around ~16 years ago that it cost around $35,000 to convert an Analog cable Head-end to a Digital one, plus the upgrades on the plant itself. Additional services like PPV are now more complex in their software than the hardware.

To be clear, I am not saying providers don't have costs, they do, and those costs can be significant. However, these large providers do have the capacity and ability to handle them. More importantly I am trying to kill this Swan Song by providers on how hard it is.

post-flame-small.gif Member of some OCN clubs - Those links would be here if I had more room post-flame-small.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 02:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedld9 View Post

Eh, Bandwidth is bandwidth. They monitor where the traffic is going (which is needed for capacity management) and try to stay ahead of demand, as well as to identify when peering is needed. Each destination has its own "exit ramp" from your ISP. It's not a magical singular pipe that everything flows between.
Back when I still had my old internet provider (which I was happy to ditch as soon as a good alternative was available), my bandwidth and ping were regularly compromised in the evening (when most people had arrived from work). Contracted speed and stability came back in the morning. That ISP obviously didn't have the appropriate infrastructure in place to guarantee optimal service during peak hours, and that was before Netflix or any streaming service became mainstream.

post #165 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 02:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkatt View Post

Until said ISP block access to your VPN domain lol

I know, but in theory, all they should see is encrypted traffic. No way ISPs will start to block encrypted traffic.

You can easily make your own VPN service if you rent out a virtual server from someone... Then your ISP will have to start blocking the virtual server company's domain... even more stringent.

post #166 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 427

This is the lengths they went to get this thing. Picking on dead people. Good lord these shills have no ethics in them.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/14/fake-net-neutrality-comments-stolen-identities/

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #167 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Retired Staff

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Schneiderman once called out the FCC for refusing to look into the issue. His office apparently requested for FCC's records nine times between June and November, but it never received any concrete response. Earlier this month, the commission finally agreed to cooperate with the New York Attorney General, giving Schneiderman's team a way to finally start analyzing all the anti-net neutrality spam that flooded the commission's website.

Refuse to cooperate and then pretend to just a few days before the decision. There are several traits of bad faith here.
post #168 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 02:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBe View Post

This is the lengths they went to get this thing. Picking on dead people. Good lord these shills have no ethics in them.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/14/fake-net-neutrality-comments-stolen-identities/
Ajit Pai's response probably (Click to show)
post #169 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 519
I can't wait to be purchasing extra cost "Pro - Prioritized" internet packages. rolleyes.gif

post #170 of 175 Old 12-15-2017, 03:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Google will save us all..

Chimp Challenge Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page