Camera for recording 60hz monitor display. - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
What would be an ideal camera to record a monitor screen @ 60hz without getting that bright bloom effect on on playback and losing a bunch of detail. I'm not a camera expert at all so any input would really be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Liked: 144
I'm not an expert either but you could probably do it with a DSLR if need be, you'd have to crack the exposure and aperture right down but it might do it.

In all honesty though, you'd get much better results from either a capture card or screen recording software (FRAPS), although they could effect the overall frame rate performance smile.gif

post #3 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 PM

Liked: 171
ideal? http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/08/phantom-flex4k-camera-unveiled-at-NAB/ biggrin.gif

OP, are you trying to record/show how the anti glare coating looks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Security Sleuth

Liked: 11
I haven't been in the photography scene for a while but I do know you don't even have to go the DSLR route to get a good picture/video. There's a few of the Sony Cybershot cameras that give you DSLR quality but for hundreds less, as well as the Nikon Coolpix models. I have a DSC HX1 that's capable of recording 1080p video @60fps. I don't know if they still sell them anymore though but when I first got it 2 years ago, it was around $400.
AllLeafs likes this.

Can't stop the signal
post #5 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 AM
(V);,,;(V) Why not Zoidberg?

Liked: 276
First of all you dont want to point a camera at a tv or computer screen to record. That is extremely difficult to get a proper exposure and video with any camera. If anything output the feed to a camera or record using your computer. The quality will be significantly better. If you are recording from your computer screen there are plenty of free programs. Microsoft encoder has a screen cap function that i used recently that works great and is completely manual for encoder settings so you can jack the bitrate up for more quality

In summary. You will never get good quality using a camera to record a screen vs recording the feed that is being sent to that monitor.

Bronica ETRSi, 75/2.8, 135/4
Minolta XD11, 28/2.8, 50/1.4
Canon 5DmkIII, 7D, 17-40/4L, 100/2.8 macro, 135/2L, 70-200/4L IS, 1.4X mkIII
YN-560II, YN-560III

flickr

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #6 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Security Sleuth

Liked: 11
Sloppywetblow *dat name* uses an iPad3 to record his videos, looks pretty decent.

I personally prefer it when people record gaming videos and such this way, especially on youtube where it's limited to 30fps.
AllLeafs likes this.

Can't stop the signal
post #7 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

I basically need a camera to record the screen because I'm recording benchmarks for different kinds of applications, some games and mostly 3D programs like 3D Max and Solidworks. using a screen recorder drops FPS by about 3-5 so it makes the benchmark illegitimate.

Conspiracy, is there a way that I can output my feed from the monitor to a different computer and capture?

post #8 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I was doing it before it was cool

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllLeafs View Post

I basically need a camera to record the screen because I'm recording benchmarks for different kinds of applications, some games and mostly 3D programs like 3D Max and Solidworks. using a screen recorder drops FPS by about 3-5 so it makes the benchmark illegitimate.

Conspiracy, is there a way that I can output my feed from the monitor to a different computer and capture?
Yup, you can use this:
http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-C985-Gamer-1080p-Capture/dp/B007UXJ6LE#productDescription
You can have your DVI/HDMI going from the benchmarking computer to another computer and then to a monitor. There is no performance loss at all.
AllLeafs likes this.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #9 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 02:21 PM
(V);,,;(V) Why not Zoidberg?

Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllLeafs View Post

Yup, you can use this:
http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-C985-Gamer-1080p-Capture/dp/B007UXJ6LE#productDescription
You can have your DVI/HDMI going from the benchmarking computer to another computer and then to a monitor. There is no performance loss at all.

that.

unless you want the camera so you can also show what you are doing like shots of the inside of a computer or whatever you are working on. honestly if you are just doing benchmarks and stuff the ipad did ok it just personally looks less professional if you are trying to build an audience for the videos you are making. if you use a camera then you might as well record yourself hosting the videos and use the card to capture the monitor feed and edit the video together. honestly, if you are creating a series of benchmark videos then you will want to make your videos better than the tons of other people that are already doing the same thing. otherwise you will probably end up making these for your own enjoyment as there are several youtube channels out there with people posting computer benchmark videos
AllLeafs likes this.

Bronica ETRSi, 75/2.8, 135/4
Minolta XD11, 28/2.8, 50/1.4
Canon 5DmkIII, 7D, 17-40/4L, 100/2.8 macro, 135/2L, 70-200/4L IS, 1.4X mkIII
YN-560II, YN-560III

flickr

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #10 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Great! Thanks for this guys. I'm going to research more on this capture card and see if its the real deal. Seems too good to be true that you wont take a performance hit FPS wise.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page