Camera for shooting pictures - $700 or less - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-17-2013, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey guys, so my dad went out and bought a Sony HDR-CX430V on his own believing it will take great photos, but it turns out that this camera is only good for recording.

I explained to him that he can change it at the store. We're looking for a better one online and I will like some advice.

What is a good camera for shooting family pictures as well as recording video? I will prefer full HD video and pictures at 1920x1080p since the camera is priced at $700 or less.

So far I've been looking at the Canon - EOS Rebel T3i - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+EOS+Rebel+T3i+Digital+SLR+Camera+with+18-55mm+IS+Lens+-+Black/1980124.p?id=1218304066943&skuId=1980124

He bought the Sony HDR-CX430V at best buy.

Any advice?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Database Developer

Liked: 447
Depends on how big, what type of camera you're looking for. I'm pretty happy with the Canon G15 that I picked up a few months ago. It's a medium-sized point & shoot style, with excellent photo quality and will also shoot full HD video if you like.

The Canon Rebel's are quite a bit larger, but are compatible with Canon EF and EF-S lenses. That might be a selling point for you, but in my case I already have a Canon 5D full-sensor camera that I can use for more serious photography. The G15 is my "more portable" choice when I don't want to look like a pro in a casual setting.

Greg

post #3 of 6 Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

Depends on how big, what type of camera you're looking for. I'm pretty happy with the Canon G15 that I picked up a few months ago. It's a medium-sized point & shoot style, with excellent photo quality and will also shoot full HD video if you like.

The Canon Rebel's are quite a bit larger, but are compatible with Canon EF and EF-S lenses. That might be a selling point for you, but in my case I already have a Canon 5D full-sensor camera that I can use for more serious photography. The G15 is my "more portable" choice when I don't want to look like a pro in a casual setting.

Greg

Thanks for the reply Greg.

In terms of size, well it depends. My mother prefers a more light weight portable camera, but my dad wants a more serious camera because he is more passionate about photography. The only way to know what works for them is to take them to the store tomorrow.

So in terms of a light and portable camera would you say the G15 is a good buy while the T3i is better for more serious shooting? Keep in mind at a price of $700 or less, would these be the best purchase in either cases, portable vs. serious shooting? I could take them back to best buy tomorrow and ask them which they prefer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Pontential Centerfold

Liked: 395
Both Canon and Nikon have excellent DSLR's for around that price.

Hodor, hodor hodor hodor hodor. Hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor, hodor hodor. Hodor, hodor hodor, hodor hodor hodor hodor. -Hodor

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #5 of 6 Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Database Developer

Liked: 447
You really can't go wrong with either of the camera models listed. It really does come down to one issue - if you want the flexibility of being able to use different lenses, then the Rebel is the better choice. If you want a smaller camera, the G15 is the better choice. The stock EF-S lens that comes with the T3i kit isn't necessarily better than the built-in lens on the G15, I would challenge anyone to identify prints made from either camera as being from one or the other.

Greg

post #6 of 6 Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 AM
1.3ghz

Liked: 135
I've got the Sony DSC-HX200V

I shhot decent photo's and has good Full HD recording.

It has an incredible 30x optical zoom thumb.gif

They als make the same camera in a more compact model with same specs...

Or you should see some youtube vids of the newer model HX300V with a 50x zoom tongue.gif

Seriously check out some vids... Try Moon Zoom wink.gif you can see the craters on the moon! With a camera?!

I can see the craters on the moon with my 30x zoom so 50 is like allmost double

Greetz ASUSfreak helpinghand.gif (PS: I made the Avatar myself --> the "freak" part cool.gif)

The first ASUS logo of the nineties...
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4988346479 --> 200/20Mbps
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1866660 --> 5.2GHz
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/wxudh/ --> GTX470 930MHz/1000MHz/1860MHz
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details.php?id=z5hq7 --> GTX780Ti 954MHz/1800MHz/1174MHz

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page