[KS] Wasteland 2 Update #7 collaboration with Obsidian/Avellone on Design if/when 2.1 million reached - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Kleptocratic Debt Serf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
We have announced a major piece of good news today that inXile has reached an agreement with Obsidian for potential design assistance for Wasteland 2. What that means is that Obsidian’s Chief Creative Officer, Chris Avellone, is going to work with our team on the design and writing of the game! It is important to note that we say "potential" as they will come aboard assuming we hit $2.1 million in funding. The good news is that we have already seen a spike in just the few hours since this was announced in a press release this morning.

For those of you who don't know who Obsidian or Chris Avellone are, they are the bulk of the brains who worked on Fallout 1&2, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment when I was back at Interplay. More of the band is back together to make sure we bring you a fantastic RPG. Chris is going to help push the density and literary content of the game.

The original Wasteland was an important game to Chris as he recently stated, "Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance. While I've worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual predecessor to the Fallout franchise is a honor."

While the programming work will remain with us here at inXile, we are looking to use a host of tools that Obsidian has created which will help us get assets into the game faster. The faster we can implement and iterate on content, the deeper the game and the more varied choices the gamers can make.

That’s more good news for all of you that put your faith in us.

Brian Fargo

SOURCE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Programmer

Liked: 729
post #3 of 12 Old 04-07-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Kleptocratic Debt Serf

Avellone is officially on board!

And there have been a couple updates since I previously posted #7.

Updated #10 is pretty interesting as it invokes bipartisan politics, fan's as PR machines and displays the first piece of concept art:

Also a recently minted interview over @ RPS:

Interview: Obsidian’s Chris Avellone on Wasteland 2
Quote:
RPS: The whole “getting Black Isle back together” news story set off a chain reaction of nostalgic comments, tweets, Facebook posts, and probably a few extremely meme-able YouTube videos. Meanwhile, Baldur’s Gate is coming back via Beamdog. There’s this giant contingent of RPG fans who constantly pine for the “golden age” to return, and now they’re getting their wish. Is that a good thing, though? Or is there a risk of pushing the genre backward — looking back without moving forward?

Chris Avellone: It depends what you mean by “backwards.” I still consider a lot of innovations that occurred with Fallout 1 and Wasteland to be unmatched in today’s RPGs. I feel true innovation often gets lost beyond features that require new engine tech and the latest video card when we can achieve more interesting game mechanics in tighter constraints.

I don’t think anything involving Kickstarter would stop future RPG iteration across the major franchises in the slightest. There’s still a market for those huge budget RPGs that people want, and they’re fun to play, so no harm there. I also don’t see the harm in the industry going “backwards” and forwards – again, I think there’s a lot of gameplay elements that can be learned from working on “old school” titles that are just as applicable in current titles and can push both genres forward.

^ Just a tiny snippet, overall a great read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Kleptocratic Debt Serf

I apologize ahead of time if everybody here already knows, is ambivalent towards or flat out dislikes WL2...

Anyhoo - RPG Fireside chat with Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone AMA(ask me anything) live now on Reddit - here

Here are a few examples of what is currently being discussed:
Quote:
[–]pov_dave

As the kickstarter is reaching it's last few days, have you been contacted by any Big Ass Games companies that you've spoken to in the past about Wasteland 2? If so, are you at liberty to discuss what those conversations were like/about?

[–]BrianFargoCEO inXile Entertainment

Of COURSE I have had some publishers call me to voice their interest in Wasteland and of me doing RPGs. I knew that was coming. I had one group that wanted to fund my marketing for a piece of the pie. I politely explained that we have an ARMY of fans who are better than any marketing campaign.

[–]jamssi

What kind of a game can you make with 2.5m in such a short period of time?

Where do you have to make tradeoffs so that kind of budget is enough?

First off... Thanks for showing up today. To answer the question: The things that we are "trading off" will be cinematic cut scenes and extensive audio from talking heads. Organizing and paying for cut scenes is a very expensive proposition. The fans have been very clear in their wishes of wanting more cause and effect and a bigger world and that is where we are going to spend our efforts. We also have the advantage in that we have the game systems in place which allows us to slide right into the sequel.

[–]ronin84
Brian, could you tell us anything in regards to where you're going (or hoping to go) with the game engine? Obviously top down, but are you looking into isometric? Straight down? Fully rotatable (Neverwinter Nights)? Something like Van Buren? Would love to know your ideal goal with this.

I probably have not been clear on this but the main city exploration and battles will take take place on an isometric view. There will be limited zooming but unlikely for full rotation. And the world map which gives you the larger scope of the world may or may not be isometric. Straight down for that may suffice but I want to experiment to see if there is a nice look we can achieve with a more isometric angle on that perspective. I should re-iterate that these are the kinds of things that we will throw samples up to the forums for feedback. Once we agree on the look is when I turn the artists loose.

Oh and the Kickstarter campaign is already over 2.4 million with ~3 days to go...
post #5 of 12 Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 19
Been following this for a while, really excited
MasterKromm likes this.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Kleptocratic Debt Serf

Ok time for another update...

Unigine CEO offers free license for Wasteland 2

If that includes support(above and beyond the free license) from unigine, wow!

Unigine is best known for their heaven dx11 benchmark, their own game Oil Rush(have not tried it), upcoming game Cradle by Flying Cafe for Semianimals and the unigine engine itself - which is multiplatform(Windows, Linux, MacOS, PS3, Android, iOS).

Oh and ripped from the NMA forum link:

thinking.gif
post #7 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM

Liked: 15
Nice, i've been following Wasteland 2 since I heard of the demise of the Fallout MMO.

Seeing all of the guys from Black Isle and Interplay collaborating on this project is great.

Their original goal was $900,000 in fan funding but they passed that in no time which is why they had to set a new goal of $2.1 million, which looks like it will be reached easily as well.

And now Uniengine taking an interest? It is great to see how far Fargo's project has come with no big name scoundrel publishers breathing down his neck.

sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R Fan Club skull.gif

HP dv6tqe: Display:1366x768 CPU: i7 2630QM Graphics: Radeon HD 6770m Hard Drive:Vertex 3 120gb + 640gb 7200rpm Memory: 6gb
post #8 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 08:07 PM
sleepy cat mode

Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurifer View Post

Nice, i've been following Wasteland 2 since I heard of the demise of the Fallout MMO.
Seeing all of the guys from Black Isle and Interplay collaborating on this project is great.
Their original goal was $900,000 in fan funding but they passed that in no time which is why they had to set a new goal of $2.1 million, which looks like it will be reached easily as well.
And now Uniengine taking an interest? It is great to see how far Fargo's project has come with no big name scoundrel publishers breathing down his neck.

It is currently at $2.5 million.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 08:40 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post

It is currently at $2.5 million.

$2.5 million BEFORE paypal is factored in. I hope they surpassed $3 million. They said they might make mod tools if they did. Just like the Skyrim and fallout 3 had.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 10:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralReaper View Post

$2.5 million BEFORE paypal is factored in. I hope they surpassed $3 million. They said they might make mod tools if they did. Just like the Skyrim and fallout 3 had.

What about paypal? Most of that was donated before they started accepting paypal.

I didn't use paypal.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page