[PCGN] Valve on why they're favouring Linux over Windows 8 - Page 6 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #51 of 289 Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Explorer of Consciousness

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post

Valve is afraid of becoming Netscape 2.0. Microsoft is good at crushing competition. Embrace, extend, extinguish.

... what? How is Valve a competitor to Microsoft? Did Valve make a console that's doing really well that I was unaware of?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 289 Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomfunk View Post

So?
Valve makes games, indeed some of the best games currently out there. They have more than just an online store. Even completely disregarding Steam, Valve develops for Windows, and I repeat, Microsoft needs developers. Developers, developers, developers, developers.

Microsoft does not make any money directly off of Valve, so they do not need it. Want to attract developers? The Microsoft Marketplace is Microsoft's shot at that. An easy to access, installed on every computer marketplace is a dream for indie developers, and there are a lot of those on Valve that will consider moving to Microsoft for greater exposure.

That is what Gabe is afraid of, indie developers leaving Steam for Marketplace. Big ticket games will continue to be distributed through their normal channels (like Origin, B&M stores, etc).

post #53 of 289 Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM
sleepy cat mode

Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsis View Post

... what? How is Valve a competitor to Microsoft? Did Valve make a console that's doing really well that I was unaware of?

Game/app store competitors. Microsoft made GFWL to compete against Steam but failed. Microsoft will try again with Windows 8 Store. Microsoft is also competing against Apple's iTunes/AppStore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 289 Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Liked: 127
linux will never be popular with commercial software, no open source system will be unless they somehow assure private companies that their intellectual property will be protected.

"i'm a general not a pokemon or something!"

"The fact that she's single is the real Crimea."

"Hippsterism is the offspring of the spoilt and narcissistic preachy hippie movement of the 1960s & 70s mixed together with the 'ironic' grunge Gen Y mores of the early 90s. Basically it involves dressing like a prat to show how self-aware you are."
post #55 of 289 Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 11
Man, Valve seem really worried by the Windows 8 store, and rightly so. Not much they can do other than continue to ensure Steam is a superior experience. They do have the advantage of already having a large user base, so as long as they don't mess up big time they should be fine.

post #56 of 289 Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Paid AMD Shill

Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

linux will never be popular with commercial software, no open source system will be unless they somehow assure private companies that their intellectual property will be protected.

lolwut
Overkill likes this.
post #57 of 289 Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 0
http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4 vcore 1.3 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | MB: Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 Gaming | HDD: Windows 10 x64 on SSD Samsung 850 pro 120gb + 3TB Western Digital Red + 3TB Western Digital Green | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Panasonic Viera 32" TX-L32DT35 | Yamaha HTR-3063 5.1 | Thrustmaster T500RS | MX 5500 | MB\CPU liquid cooled with EK DCP 4 and EK RES X3 250
post #58 of 289 Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post

x86 tablets are still completely open. ARM tablets are closed, and probably for a good reason too. People would come crying to Microsoft why their internet downloaded software won't work on their ARM tablet.
I''m not arguing whether Windows 8 is an "open platform", the point is that the direction Microsoft is headed is toward a closed system that they have explicit control of. That's all fine and dandy for profits but personally I would rather stick with Windows 7/Vista/XP.
Quote:

Corporate is a huge customer for Microsoft, and they won't tolerate a move like that. Forcing their proprietary non-public programs to go through the app-store simply won't sit well with them, and they would rather switch to Linux than go through Microsoft. Be realistic and think, will you?
Most corporations that use Windows are still using XP because it's what their private applications were made to run on, and and a switch to linux is completely unrealistic in this instance. Maybe you're the one who needs to be more pragmatic?
Quote:

And yes, self-serving. If his comments earlier in the year doesn't mean anything to you, and you don't think that the sentiments he showed early on has any bearing on this, think again. Gabe Newell isn't some angelic savior of the gaming world, he's a businessman and a capitalist like everyone else.
You mean Gabe Newell didn't fall from the stars in 1AD to die for our sins!?!?!? So Gabe hates Windows 8 because metro, no start menu, and the reasons other people hate it for but that's not cool because it isn't your opinion and everyone else is wrong? Great, case closed.rolleyes.gif

Gabe Newell isn't a businessman, he's an entrepreneur who quit working for Microsoft in the 90's to find something he enjoyed doing. I don't know why you're so infatuated with the idea of loathing him when he's one of the most brutally honest men in the technology industry. Maybe you should spend less time hating on things that don't tickle your fancy?

You should start proof-reading what you write, this garbage is cringe-worthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheton View Post

Man, Valve seem really worried by the Windows 8 store, and rightly so. Not much they can do other than continue to ensure Steam is a superior experience. They do have the advantage of already having a large user base, so as long as they don't mess up big time they should be fine.
I would call it an exit strategy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

You seem to not understand how licenses work. BSD, GPL, Fuse, Creative Commons, and many others have proprietary/commercial software in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestailsprowe View Post

Please let all my steam games become Linux usable. I will never go back to Windows Again. Especially if it works on Googles Chrome Linux OS.
ChromeOS probably won't see it because the entire OS is just a browser.
post #59 of 289 Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Explorer of Consciousness

Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post

Game/app store competitors. Microsoft made GFWL to compete against Steam but failed. Microsoft will try again with Windows 8 Store. Microsoft is also competing against Apple's iTunes/AppStore.

Well, fair enough. But if you're an app/game publisher, it seems silly to me that you'd opt for bringing your product to a 3rd party service that runs on top of an operating system, instead of straight to the operating system via the native app store. That's why I don't see these two as being direct competitors.

I don't think GFWL was an attempt to take down Steam, but an attempt to bridge the Xbox Live gaming community with PC gamers.

post #60 of 289 Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 33
If all my steam games worked on linux I would instantly switch to it.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page