post #11 of 25 Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 PM
PC Gaming Master Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by revro View Post

well the problem is mozarella got his golden parachute, but drones will be sacrificed no remorse ...
i red recently that they took in 4 billion dollar, had profit 50 million while spending 700 million on 'marketing'. why does established company like EA needs so much marketing???

best
revro

EA has had a net loss for quite a few consecutive quarters. The layoffs are a necessity in their eyes to reduce operating expenses (2,000 layoffs x an average salary of $30,000 is a $60 million annual reduction in costs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRunes View Post

Looks like they're really gunning for that third Golden Poo.

Quite the contrary... they're trying to avoid it. EA is probably nowhere near a point of bankruptcy like AMD were/are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Networking Nut

Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

Indeed.

Wonder what those 2000 people were actually doing though.

Probably mostly low paid positions such as customer support and the like along with higher paid but not necessarily useful positions or temp hire/contract employees. i.e. a half blind, 65 year old graphic designer that doesn't really have a retirement fund but is now forced into it. (example only!)

To me the most unfortunate part is not all of them are going to be able to get some form of unemployment or assistance due to where they live or the type of job contract they were under (i.e. temp to hire).

post #13 of 25 Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 427
Doesn't take many people to do "Copy" and "Paste" every year....

jokes aside..

2,000 isn't that bad considering it's international.

IBM cut 30,000 jobs in the US alone from 2006-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightEscape View Post

Probably mostly low paid positions such as customer support and the like along with higher paid but not necessarily useful positions or temp hire/contract employees. i.e. a half blind, 65 year old graphic designer that doesn't really have a retirement fund but is now forced into it. (example only!)

To me the most unfortunate part is not all of them are going to be able to get some form of unemployment or assistance due to where they live or the type of job contract they were under (i.e. temp to hire).

Yep, they are paying for the mistakes of the Senior Management (the decision makers). Unfortunately, this is always how it happens. But, unless there is a meaningful change at the C- Suite level, it only delays the inevitable.

post #15 of 25 Old 04-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

jokes aside..

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that IBM is a significantly larger company, and employs significantly more people, than EA. 30k jobs is still a lot, but that's spread out over 4 years. I'd say percentage-wise it's a pretty significant blow to EA's workforce. Age-old story, peons paying for the mistakes of upper-management. Feel bad for those people, hopefully they find better places to work where they are encouraged to develop better games, rather than the regurgitated junk that spews from EA

My BOINC Stats || Come Join Us and Get Into Shape!! thumb.gif || Join the Gun Club thumb.gif
-Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety-
-A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed-
I know English isn't everyone's primary language, so when I correct you understand I'm not doing it to be rude or mean, I'm trying to help. I apologize to anyone who might think I am trying to be rude or mean, please don't take it that way. On the other side, if you see a mistake in my post, feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to go back and correct the error smile.gif
post #16 of 25 Old 04-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Case Modder

Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

For those that want to see EA burn, you're also wishing for ~9,000 people to lose their livelihoods. God forbid if a whole forum community were to trash on YOUR corporation if you were to ever run one some day.

The 2000 will most likely quickly be picked up by companies that DON'T suck.

And even if EA was to "burn", it wouldn't. 9000 people wouldn't be out of a job. The board of directors wouldn't allow it to happen. They would be FORCED to finally listen to what everyone is saying to avoid "the burn". The board of directors doesn't want to be out of a job. But even if they did kill themselves, other companies would swoop in and buy EA for pennies on the dollar, hire back the majority of the people that were at EA, and fold them into their company to continue to work on the IP's that their new owner just acquired.

Maybe not 100%, but it happens all the time. Take for example what happened when Sigil went out of business. 120 people were out of a job. The very next day, when SoE bought the IP from Sigil (ie Vanguard), they hired back 50% of the work force to continue to work on the very same game they had been working on. The 50% number was who actually accepted, most likely more were offered, but weren't willing to relocate. I know that several who didn't want to relocated got hired on by other gaming companies within a week.

post #17 of 25 Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Networking Nut

Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

They will most likely quickly be picked up by companies that DON'T suck.

Not likely. We aren't talking about the designers, programmers and other "key" people that when a game company drops them get raced for by others. We're talking about the small guys that are in abundance everywhere. Other companies like Bioware and such aren't going to come running because EA dropped their design team. It's 2000 people that may or may not have a degree, long term experience, special skills and the like. They're just added to the already large group of unemployed persons.

post #18 of 25 Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 51
http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/25/ea-partners-to-close-claims-insiders-3666313/

So it looks like they're closing their third party publishing division (that published games not developed by EA). Not clear if this affects their first party stuff or not.

EDIT: Maybe not just that. Reports are a bit conflicted right now, PopCap and Quicklime also hit. Granted with 2000 employees gone, it's hard to imagine any division is going to escape unscathed.

EDIT2:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/25/4266122/ea-layoffs-popcap-vancouver-quicklime

Polygon source seems to have a bit more info. And that the 2000 number is supposedly overestimated (but unknown by how much)

post #19 of 25 Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM
PC Gaming Master Race

Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3machi7ke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

jokes aside..

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that IBM is a significantly larger company, and employs significantly more people, than EA. 30k jobs is still a lot, but that's spread out over 4 years. I'd say percentage-wise it's a pretty significant blow to EA's workforce. Age-old story, peons paying for the mistakes of upper-management. Feel bad for those people, hopefully they find better places to work where they are encouraged to develop better games, rather than the regurgitated junk that spews from EA

If Wiki's 9,000 employee figure is accurate, 2,000 it's nearly a quarter of their workforce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

For those that want to see EA burn, you're also wishing for ~9,000 people to lose their livelihoods. God forbid if a whole forum community were to trash on YOUR corporation if you were to ever run one some day.

The 2000 will most likely quickly be picked up by companies that DON'T suck.

And even if EA was to "burn", it wouldn't. 9000 people wouldn't be out of a job. The board of directors wouldn't allow it to happen. They would be FORCED to finally **** and listen to what everyone is saying to avoid "the burn". The board of directors doesn't want to be out of a job. But even if they did kill themselves, other companies would swoop in and buy EA for pennies on the dollar, hire back the majority of the people that were at EA, and fold them into their company to continue to work on the IP's that their new owner just acquired.

Maybe not 100%, but it happens all the time. Take for example what happened when Sigil went out of business. 120 people were out of a job. The very next day, when SoE bought the IP from Sigil (ie Vanguard), they hired back 50% of the work force to continue to work on the very same game they had been working on. The 50% number was who actually accepted, most likely more were offered, but weren't willing to relocate. I know that several who didn't want to relocated got hired on by other gaming companies within a week.

You're right, EA is far too big to just suddenly fall. It would be nowhere near instant and they'd sell the entire company (or a majority of its IPs) before letting it happen. These 2,000 employees were likely not high-level developers. I'm inferring that they're marketers, customer support reps, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif
post #20 of 25 Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 PM
What resolution do you play at?

Liked: 288
It's in anticipation for the next gen consoles. This was brought up a few months ago.

Windows 7: An OS so nice, it doesn't need a service pack twice.
Steam: KangarooCornchips

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page