Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Ubisoft Reflections rounded off day two of last week's Develop conference with an intriguing talk, tantalisingly entitled "Tips and Tricks for Porting to Next-Gen". For Digital Foundry, it was a must-see presentation primarily because the vast majority - and perhaps even all - of the multi-platform games we'll be playing on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 by the end of the year have been derived from PC code, necessitating some level of porting across to the new hardware.
Quote:
More crucial is how the 8GB of RAM in the PlayStation 4 is utilised. This unified pool is a significant advantage over platforms like PC and PS3, where CPU and graphics RAM takes the form of two entirely separate pools of memory. The PS4 operates a system where memory is allocated either to the CPU or GPU, using two separate memory buses.

"One's called the Onion, one's called the Garlic bus. Onion is mapped through the CPU caches... This allows the CPU to have good access to memory," explains Jenner.

"Garlic bypasses the CPU caches and has very high bandwidth suitable for graphics programming, which goes straight to the GPU. It's important to think about how you're allocating your memory based on what you're going to put in there."

Lots of interesting tid-bits and insights into a developers creation process for PS4 in a relatively lengthy article. Please read the source article.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 427
I love digital foundry articles. Will read this when I get back to my desk tongue.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant  50 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015 

post #3 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 154
Good read, interesting to see how they plan to take their next steps in the upcoming generation.

Chimp Challenge Participant  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 42
Am I blind?
I don't see a link to the source.

Source