post #11 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 AM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post

You talk as if the original one will dissapear when the remake comes out.

I'll be waiting patiently.

not at all, I'm just saying I don't see the point, and that "HD remake" sounds a lot more loaded (and a bit dishonest) than a texture/lighting pack mod to me, and that's what it sounds like is happening. Could be wrong (hope I'm wrong) but from the info we have on this project, I'm not holding my breath.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Windows Wrangler

Liked: 91
I loved the original. But it would take a remake for me to get any enjoyment out of it if I were to re-play it today. So this is great news to me.

I'm still waiting for a true sequel to KotOR II. Which, I'm sure ain't ever gonna happen. Ugh..

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as
the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders),
when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary."

-Microsoft Windows 10 Terms of Service and User Agreement
post #13 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 11:03 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojinglebells View Post

the game doesn't need an HD mod, the art direction behind it was already very good and playing it at high resolution today can show just how great such an old game can look...the problems lie in the animation and physics, it needs a spiritual sequel more than anything

new lighting and HD textures might actually just end up ruining the game IMO (think original trilogy sets and FX vs. prequel trilogy... SW doesn't need to be ultra shiny or gritty to have appeal, the sterile imperial corridors translate very well with older graphics techniques

I recently replayed this game and the only thought that crossed my mind on how the game could be improved were strictly in physics and animation, and I had no problems with the older graphics other than low polygon count.

Yeah I generally agree. I am playing Jedi Academy at 1440P at present with a texture mod and throughly enjoying it incl the visuals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 11:03 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 8
As a long time fan over the Jedi Knight series, i think this is great. I remember long before Jedi Knight 2 was released, I was way into modding the original Jedi Knight game. At Massassi.net, there used to be 16 bit and 32 bit texture packs to replace the original textures and the game looked awesome (at the time...1999...) With the demise of Lucas arts and any chance of ever seeing Kyle Katarn's story live on, I think its cool that someone is trying to bring a very good game back to life smile.gif

post #15 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM
2.4ghz

Liked: 43
One of the best games of all time imo. This was the first 3D accelerated game I ever played. Think I had a Riva TNT and dual voodoo 2's at the time. It also supported my monster 3D sound card. They really put a lot of work into this game. Filmed all the cut scenes for cryin out loud. You don't see that anymore. Single and multiplayer was a blast.

drunken.gif-=AMD RADEON 6990 OWNER'S CLUB=-drunken.gif
post #16 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Fan Man

Liked: 13
Never played this before. Looks great. I love that fans a remaking old games and giving them new life. This plus Skywind shows just how awesome fans can be. thumb.gif
post #17 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 12:00 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

Darn, I was hoping JK2 referred to JK: Dark Forces 2 not JK: Outcast.

for real, dark forces 2 needs a remake more than outcast does. I know a group took a crack at the first Dark Forces a number of years back here. they turned the levels and everything into a mod for Jedi Academy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojinglebells View Post

the game doesn't need an HD mod, the art direction behind it was already very good and playing it at high resolution today can show just how great such an old game can look...the problems lie in the animation and physics, it needs a spiritual sequel more than anything

new lighting and HD textures might actually just end up ruining the game IMO (think original trilogy sets and FX vs. prequel trilogy... SW doesn't need to be ultra shiny or gritty to have appeal, the sterile imperial corridors translate very well with older graphics techniques

I recently replayed this game and the only thought that crossed my mind on how the game could be improved were strictly in physics and animation, and I had no problems with the older graphics other than low polygon count.

I wouldnt care at all for the outcast or academy HD remake either. the game still does look good for its age, and you can setup dismemberment and force push stormtroopers into pieces straight from in-game console. And the saber's markings on the wall are still pretty awesome--I dont remember seeing that in Force Unleashed

Someone should be making a mod for Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries of the Sith to be in the Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy engine if anything. I still loved the choosing of force powers in those 2 more than the academy & outcast systems, lol remember that big mage fireball i think it was called force blast. devil.gif

i agree tho Academy shouldn't have been the last one in the series... sigh
RIP kyle katarn

I couldn't go back to the typical hack & slash after that whole series, so I moved to Warband thumb.gif
post #18 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 142
OMG!!! Many knights have been spent lightsabre dueling and using the special smash moves with this game biggrin.gif

post #20 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 12:08 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

Darn, I was hoping JK2 referred to JK: Dark Forces 2 not JK: Outcast.

Same, JK DF2 was one of my favorite games of all time. I didn't think JK2 was as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 go_quote.gif

You want true privacy? Go live in the woods with no electronics like in the early 19th century. Otherwise stop complaining.

In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page