[Various] Starcraft 2 Player Life Arrested for Match Fixing - Page 10 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 108 Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM
self deprecating narcissist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Just FYI, Google says Angel Munoz is the godfather of e-sports/competitive gaming. I have no idea who he is, maybe if someone claimed he raped them I would know who he is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 02-05-2016, 11:48 AM

Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

I need to ask, are you talking about SC2 E-Sports or did you really mean this guy is the god father of ALL E-Sports?

Women's Baseball...Most people don't know that Women kept baseball alive in WW2...In fact if it wasn't for a Hollywood movie, most people wouldn't know it existed, at all. - Those players essentially kept baseball alive through the war.

Would you call them popular?

They contributed to the Baseball the sport - In fact, some major rule changes occurred because of them. They kept the sport alive. Had millions and millions of fans. Baseball was actually in dire straits at the time.

Does that mean they were unpopular compared to Kobe?

Saying that Life didn't contribute to E-Sports as a whole is a lie...

Twitch got it's beginning off of Korean SC2 games, especially Life's...SoS's, etc.

The real issue in this discussion is objectivity vs. subjectivity.

Many of you are saying "This guy isn't popular at all" - Comparative to Kobe Bryant, no...

Comparative to a Rookie on the Laker's, yes.

Life has a following of millions - Is credited with keeping SC2 on the map and got more people into E-Sports in general over the past 5 years than most of you give credit for.

That doesn't make him unpopular in the world of E-Sports or unpopular, period...

Just like most of you not knowing that woman played professional baseball and kept baseball alive during WW2 didn't make them any less popular than they are.

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is difficult, only for others. It is the same when you are stupid. - Ricky Gervais.
post #93 of 108 Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

Women's Baseball...Most people don't know that Women kept baseball alive in WW2...In fact if it wasn't for a Hollywood movie, most people wouldn't know it existed, at all. - Those players essentially kept baseball alive through the war.

They contributed to the Baseball the sport - In fact, some major rule changes occurred because of them. They kept the sport alive. Had millions and millions of fans. Baseball was actually in dire straits at the time.

Twitch got it's beginning off of Korean SC2 games, especially Life's...SoS's, etc.

Many of you are saying "This guy isn't popular at all" - Comparative to Kobe Bryant, no...

Life has a following of millions - Is credited with keeping SC2 on the map and got more people into E-Sports in general over the past 5 years than most of you give credit for.

That doesn't make him unpopular in the world of E-Sports or unpopular, period...

Just like most of you not knowing that woman played professional baseball and kept baseball alive during WW2 didn't make them any less popular than they are.

Nobody is saying he is not big in SC2. He is not big enough to be known by other people that dont play SC2. You say millions of followers but in Twitch SC2 has very low view count compare to LoL or Dota 2. SC was big compare to other games but Dota 2, CSGO and LoL just so much bigger then SC2 now.

CPU History (Click to show)
CPU -> Sempron 2400+, Athlon 64 3700+, Core 2 Q6600, A8-3870K, Core 2 Q9550, Core 2 QX9770, Core i7 920, Core i5 2500K, Core i5 3570K, Phenom II X4 955, Core i7 3770K.
GPU History (Click to show)
FX 5200 128MB, 9800 Pro 128MB, 6800GS 256MB, 7600GT 256MB, HD 4850 512MB, HD 4870 1GB, 2x HD 4870 1GB, GTX280 1GB, HD 5850 1GB, GTX470 1.25GB, GTX580 1.5GB, HD 6950 2GB, HD 6950 2GB + HD 6970 2GB, HD 6990 2GB, HD 7970 3GB, 2 x HD 7970 3GB,R9 290 4GB, R9 290X 4GB, R9 Fury X 4GB, GTX 1080 8GB, GTX1080 Ti 11GB
MB History (Click to show)
ECS KN1 Extreme -> ASUS P5Q-E -> GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 -> GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 -> GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H -> ASRock Z77E-ITX

Chimp Challenge Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 108 Old 02-05-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Nobody is saying he is not big in SC2. He is not big enough to be known by other people that dont play SC2. You say millions of followers but in Twitch SC2 has very low view count compare to LoL or Dota 2. SC was big compare to other games but Dota 2, CSGO and LoL just so much bigger then SC2 now.

NOW SC2 has a very low viewership - But that's not what I said.

Korean SC2 had millions of people watching when Twitch was JUST STARTING.

SC2 contributed to what Twitch is today - They'd even tell you that.

Nobody is saying he's a superstar...We're saying he is a star and a major reason why some of our industry is the way it is.

Again, women's baseball.

You'd say it's not popular because you've never heard of it but, it's the reason baseball survived WW2...

All I'm saying.

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is difficult, only for others. It is the same when you are stupid. - Ricky Gervais.
post #95 of 108 Old 02-05-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:

If SC2 viewership/popularity is waning it might be some of the reason why he got himself into this match fixing problem.

It's got to be tough for people to stay on top when your chosen profession is video games. The games change fairly rapidly (when compared to other sports) and mastering the latest and greatest takes time and considerable effort. It would be like becoming the greatest basketball player and then five years later having to become the greatest baseball player since no one plays basketball anymore.

It's an unfortunate situation for his fans and followers that this has gone down this way. If there is an underground aspect of SC2 gambling in Korea he may not have had much of a choice in fixing matches if illegal bookies in Korea are anything like illegal bookies here in the states.

post #96 of 108 Old 02-05-2016, 12:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 118
Quote:

SC2 contributed to what Twitch is today - They'd even tell you that.

Nobody is saying he's a superstar...We're saying he is a star and a major reason why some of our industry is the way it is.

Again, women's baseball.

You'd say it's not popular because you've never heard of it but, it's the reason baseball survived WW2...

All I'm saying.

I understand what you're saying, but you have to consider relative popularity. It's obvious that something or someone can be popular within a rather small group of people.

It wouldn't surprise me if the women who kept baseball alive during the war are indeed more popular based on the sheer number of people who have been following baseball forever. The amount of baseball fans who are old enough to remember the women's game and it's contribution to the sport during that era probably outnumber Life's following (maybe not but okay)

Same thing for a rookie on the Laker's, or even any professional sports franchise/club. The number of people who watch regular sports is incredible compared to eSports

Chimp Challenge Participant  10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #97 of 108 Old 02-05-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post

It wouldn't surprise me if the women who kept baseball alive during the war are indeed more popular based on the sheer number of people who have been following baseball forever. The amount of baseball fans who are old enough to remember the women's game and it's contribution to the sport during that era probably outnumber Life's following (maybe not but okay)

It's not exactly obscure information, they even made a movie about it.

I guess 1992 was a long time ago for some.

"Are you crying? Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!"
doritos93 likes this.

post #98 of 108 Old 02-05-2016, 01:32 PM

Liked: 142
Quote:

Could you please just answer my simple question with a simple answer yes/no?

I really don't (nor want to) know about the history of baseball as it has nothing to do with e-sports to begin with nor is it actually very popular around here.

Secondly, I don't know "Kobe" nor do I know this guy but I've played games longer than he has been alive (Albeit he has made an success and a career out of his "hobby" and I fully respect him for that).

Did he contribute? Sure (going by the mentions you have given). Is he the god father or e-sports? Hell no.

When ever I'll get my hands on a supercomputer, all I'd want to do with it is watch two gifs at the same time.
post #99 of 108 Old 02-05-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

Could you please just answer my simple question with a simple answer yes/no?

I really don't (nor want to) know about the history of baseball as it has nothing to do with e-sports to begin with nor is it actually very popular around here.

Secondly, I don't know "Kobe" nor do I know this guy but I've played games longer than he has been alive (Albeit he has made an success and a career out of his "hobby" and I fully respect him for that).

Did he contribute? Sure (going by the mentions you have given). Is he the god father or e-sports? Hell no.

I did answer your question.

Your ignorance to that, doesn't change the fact that I DID answer you.

In my opinion, Korean SC2, Life SoS, etc, have contributed more to E-Sports than most of you care to acknowledge. Much like Women's Baseball.

Twitch wouldn't be what it is today without those hits...Nor would the viewership be the same we have now were it not for them.

post #100 of 108 Old 02-05-2016, 01:53 PM

Liked: 142
Quote:

I did answer your question.

Your ignorance to that, doesn't change the fact that I DID answer you.

In my opinion, Korean SC2, Life SoS, etc, have contributed more to E-Sports than most of you care to acknowledge. Much like Women's Baseball.

Twitch wouldn't be what it is today without those hits...Nor would the viewership be the same we have now were it not for them.

My ignorance or your thoughts about e-sports?

You do understand e-sports is way older than Twitch right? You keep throwing around Twitch like it's some pinnacle of e-sports. It's not. Sorry to inform you about that.

When ever I'll get my hands on a supercomputer, all I'd want to do with it is watch two gifs at the same time.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page